Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perceptions of Illinois

Perceptions of Illinois

How a Cairoan sees Illinois

How those living outside of Cairo and Chicago see Illinois

How a Chicagoan sees Illinois:

Registered
    Feb 2003
    To me Illinois shall be known as the state with the most Vanity Plates per capita in the US.

Why do you all want your names on your license plates???

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by H
    To me Illinois shall be known as the state with the most Vanity Plates per capita in the US.

Haven't been to RI, huh? Small population (1 mill) but the density to show your car off.

Originally posted by H

Yeah, I noticed this also. Evidently, back in the 1980s, an Illinois driver could get vanity plates for only a couple of $ more than standard issue, so long as they ended in a number. My friend even got them and I've been giving him $hit about it ever since.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A good southern Illinois movie is "Stevie" a documentary about a former Big Brother who goes back to rural S. Illinois to revisit the troubled kid he mentored who has since become a criminal and possible child molester. I can't remember the town specifically, but I was surprised at how "southern" it seemed there.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    having recently (11/2 year ago) moved to Chicago I am completely baffled when I think that the state is as large as it is. I think about southern Wisconsin and Michigan LP more than I think about even central IL. Springfield seems far away.

Growing up in northern Michigan, Cairo, IL location is practically the South to me. (sorry, real Southerners)

Off-topic
    I have been to New Orleans and then drove to the Florida panhandle and that is definitely the South. I really liked central Mississippi.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    A whole state full of FIB's, FIB-TAB's, and flatlanders to boot!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    A whole state full of FIB's, FIB-TAB's, and flatlanders to boot!
    What is this FIB-TAB you speak of?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by H
    What is this FIB-TAB you speak of?
    In Wisconsin, you run into people from illinois during the summer months and long weekends, and deer hunting seeson. This variety of person is called a FIB (F'n Illinois Bastard).

The second veriety is seen mostly durring the summer months. They often disturb the peace of the lakes and make fishing miserable. These are known as FIB-TAB's (F'n Illinois Bastards Towing A Boat).

Registered
    Feb 2003
    In Wisconsin, you run into people from illinois during the summer months and long weekends, and deer hunting seeson. This variety of person is called a FIB (F'n Illinois Bastard).

The second veriety is seen mostly durring the summer months. They often disturb the peace of the lakes and make fishing miserable. These are known as FIB-TAB's (F'n Illinois Bastards Towing A Boat).
    THAT IS GREAT!! LOL!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    sounds just like how the Pennsylvania navy invades Maryland every summer.
    (We have miles upon miles of waterfront and a nice big bay.)

Pennsylvanians by the hundreds invade our waterways all summer, and New Joisians and New Yawkers swarm over our campuses and surrounding neighborhoods by the thousands (literally) the rest of the year. Not that I'm complaining, some of them are now friends of mine, but the sheer numbers... I can sympathize with Zoning Goddess. Almost. At least ours go back part of the year

Registered
    Dec 2001

So are they related to JOPs (just outside Philly)

Referring to those suburbanites you meet who claim to be from Philly. Oh yeah, where. King of Prussia.

Originally posted by H
    THAT IS GREAT!! LOL!!
    Except that its not funny.

FIBs are almost single-handedly destroying Wisconsin, contributing to overcrowding, noise, traffic congestion, pullution and urban sprawl. I've heard that some counties in Wisconsin now have over 50% out-of-state ownership, a significant number by elitist Chicagoans. Small lake cottages are being torn down for monster houses and gnashing condos, as the affluent and powerful continue to drive up real estate prices and hotel/cottage rental rates across the state. (Places like Lake Geneva might as well be in Illinois as the local economy long destroyed as local merchants are driven out by high rents - displaced by botiques and other establisments plugging gaudy, overpriced totem merchandise.) Where you once saw local kids going down to Woolworth's for a 50 cent soda, you now see scores of FIBs carrying shopping bags with the twine handles after a day of ritualistic shopping and spending.

No doubt, middle and low income Wisconsinites are being displaced across the state just like in the ruined bedroom communities of metro Chicago. When will these people ever, ever stop.

And as a further kick in the teeth, FIBs are utilizing Wisconsin's great state parks without paying a dime in taxes.
    Last edited by Super Amputee Cat; 19 Nov 2003 at 10:03 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat

FIBs are almost single-handedly destroying Wisconsin, contrubuting to overcrowding, noise, traffic congestion, pullution and urban sprawl. I've heard that some counties in Wisconsin now have over 50% out-of-state ownership, a significant number by elitist Chicagoans.
    I'm betting Napervillians, Schaumburgians, and Oak Parkians are actually a bigger problem than Chicagoans.

And as a further kick in the teeth, FIBs are utilizing Wisconsin's great state parks without paying a dime in taxes.
    They've been doing that to Chicago's great city park system for years. That's why I'm pushing my proposal to charge everyone without a city sticker $20 to park at a city park.

Originally posted by jordanb
    I'm betting Napervillians, Schaumburgians, and Oak Parkians are actually a bigger problem than Chicagoans.

That's what I meant...suburban Chicago. City as well as suburb: Elitists in general whether they live in Lincoln Park or some yuppie hinterland like Oakbrook.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    That's what I meant...suburban Chicago. City as well as suburb: Elitists in general whether they live in Lincoln Park or some yuppie hinterland like Oakbrook.
    don't you mean "the barringtons"?

lake barrington
    south barrington
    barrington hills
    barrington

did i forget any?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm betting Napervillians, Schaumburgians, and Oak Parkians are actually a bigger problem than Chicagoans....
    Your not getting it. Perceptually, there is NO differance.

Secondly, you don't want to charge a $20 parking fee to help the parks. You just hate cars period. You just get to hijack a worthwhile issue with that argument.

In WI, people FIB's from Illinois are a double edged sword. Many of them in fact, grew up in WI and had to leave due to lack of jobs. They did ok, then did thier best effort to get back home as well as make a living. Can't say I blame them. WI is a beutiful state. Plan to get back myself some day.

Registered
    May 2003
    No, I hate it that suburbanites use services that I pay for with my taxes without contributing a dime. The Chicago city parks are prime examples. Notice I said to charge people WITHOUT A CITY STICKER. That means people who live in the city and pay taxes to support the parks don't have to pay, just the people who live in the suburbs and don't support the parks through taxes.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    No, I hate it that suburbanites use services that I pay for with my taxes without contributing a dime. The Chicago city parks are prime examples. Notice I said to charge people WITHOUT A CITY STICKER. That means people who live in the city and pay taxes to support the parks don't have to pay, just the people who live in the suburbs and don't support the parks through taxes.
    I might be reading this the wrong way, but what about tourists who want to see Lincoln Park Zoo, Buckingham Fountain, etc. You want to charge them $20 to see all the great things that make Chicago what it is? Not that I am for or against it. I don't drive downtown, I take the L and pay for my parking at the Rosemont station. I'm just curious as to where you are going with this.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I prefer Southern Illinois
    Shawnee NF- Garden of the Gods
    Tunnel Hill Rail-to-Trail
    Carbondale

Registered
    Sep 2002
    Southern Illinois is beautiful, and way different than the narth. Shawnee Nat. Forest is beautiful , and the wetlands... WOAH!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I hear ya loud and clear. I live in Florida remember. I see it happen like that everywhere, everyday. I wish I could stop it , but donít think that is in my realm of power. In fact, our governor encourages this type of activity.

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by steveanne
    I might be reading this the wrong way, but what about tourists who want to see Lincoln Park Zoo, Buckingham Fountain, etc. You want to charge them $20 to see all the great things that make Chicago what it is? Not that I am for or against it. I don't drive downtown, I take the L and pay for my parking at the Rosemont station. I'm just curious as to where you are going with this.
    I've seen this argument before, and I don't really buy it. Most tourists fly or take Amtrak so they don't have their cars with them anyway, those that do drive in usually stay at hotels that have parking. I remember coming up here by car once with the family when I was little, we parked our car in the hotel garage and used taxis and busses to get around.

The only people this would target is suburbanites who drive into the city to use city taxpayer funded services.

By the way, there is no free park parking in Grant park (where Buckingham Fountain is located). The nearest garage is at Millineum Park, and it's already at least $10.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    No, I hate it that suburbanites use services that I pay for with my taxes without contributing a dime. ....
    Every time I buy a freakin beer inside the borders of cook county and the city proper of Chicago, I help pay for the parks. Every time I buy something in the borders of cook county and/or the city proper of chicago, I help to pay for those things. Don't give me that crap that suburbanites don't help the city of chicago. Thats why the tax rate in chicago and cook county is hiked up, to help capture that. Stay at the airport, please. One wonders if you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth. Go to the lake shore from the suburbs just for a stroll in the park and not pay for snacks or anything else? Back it up. I have never made the trip into chicago and not left money there. Your argument of free riders from the suburbs in the parks is way off.

Bringing this back on target to the thread.

This is exactly what we run into in WI with many people from illinois. Individually we deal well with them. They are some of the most fun people to drink with the night before and the day of the football games. They have a sense of humor and they like to have fun. As noted above, many of them are Wisconsinites.

Thank the Gods for the electoral college though.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am against any idea of charging a fee for city parks. By this, I do not mean things like zoos or museums, or state parks which are inherently different than a city park. They are intended for the enjoyment of residents, true, but is it right to prohibit others from using them? In fact, this is what happens when you charge a fee. I grew up three miles from Lake Michigan in the northern suburbs of Chicago. As a kid, I could ride my bike to the beach. Unfortunately, if I wanted to use the beach I had to pay a fee. This was certainly not because it cost the community money to hire lifeguards. It was intended to keep out Those People who might offend the all-white, upper-income residents of the community. Oregon has it right. The beach belongs to everyone.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Illinois
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Dec 2010, 9:46 AM
  2. Perceptions of environmentalists
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 12:57 PM
  3. Replies: 5