Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: **Belleville IL**- St. Louis suburb and the home of WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY

Registered
    Sep 2002

**Belleville IL**- St. Louis suburb and the home of WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY

Belleville borders East St. Louis at the northwest, and it's located about 10 miles southeast of downtown St. Louis. It has 3 metrolink stations.

Registered
    Sep 2002

Registered
    Sep 2002

Registered
    May 2003
    I've always been impressed with the Illinois side St. Louis suburbs. I have some pictures of Edwardsville around that I should post. They've got a great small-town feel but are still relativly vibrant.

You should have taken a picture of the Cox building, btw.

I wonder if he ever takes the MetroLink to work.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the pics.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    So let me get this right...
    Wendell Cox has made it his lifes mission to advocate sprawling suburban development and stop the communist evil that is New Urbanisim and TND's, but yet he lives and works in what appears to be a very traditional town.
    Interesting...

Registered
    May 2003
    Can you actually still get Stag Beer in Belleville?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Very pleasant. That's one thing I miss from living back east-the use of brick in large amounts for building stock. (There are pockets of nicely done brick buildings out here. Sacramento area had a great brickyard whose products grace many of the city's middle aged school and church buildings.)

Biscuit: don't you know that the "rebels," be they products of public schools or whose father's work for government agencies, for all their lives who are now "Objectivists", cutting edge "architects" whose offices are in a 1875 brick storefront, or Mr. Cox and his traditional town usually live in glaring contradiction? As do we all, I suppose, in apsects of our lives.

Registered
    Sep 2002
    Originally posted by biscuit
    So let me get this right...
    Wendell Cox has made it his lifes mission to advocate sprawling suburban development and stop the communist evil that is New Urbanisim and TND's, but yet he lives and works in what appears to be a very traditional town.
    Interesting...
    No actually, I believe just his company is out of Belleville. I heard he lives in suburban O'Fallon. The town I live in.
    Last edited by Xing500; 20 Nov 2003 at 4:42 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2002
    Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Can you actually still get Stag Beer in Belleville?
    I think you can.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Xing-

Nice photos, rumor is that a large new urbanist TOD is being planned around one of the Bellville metro stations. Retail, condos etc. could provide that spark that metro east needs to fruther push urban development and redevelopment in the area.

Downtown Bellville has the potential to become metro easts version of the Delmar loop.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Sep 2002
    Originally posted by Howard Roark
    Xing-

Nice photos, rumor is that a large new urbanist TOD is being planned around one of the Bellville metro stations. Retail, condos etc. could provide that spark that metro east needs to fruther push urban development and redevelopment in the area.

Downtown Bellville has the potential to become metro easts version of the Delmar loop.
    Today's Belleville News Democrat reported that planning for Downtown Redevelopment is still in progress. A meeting set for December 4th will provide information to the public, and asks for suggestions. Unfortunately I will be in Chicago at that time. Is this what you are talking about? This is from the same people who redeveloped the Central West End.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OOOH MY BAD. I read this too quick and thought it might be a cool Enville Thread. Turns out I was wrong on the Enville part. I should have known not to expect a cool Enville thread.

But this is cool none the less.

Registered
    Sep 2002
    Originally posted by Howard Roark
    Xing-

You know what, I found what you were talking about. It was in today's St. Louis post dispatch.

Belleville digs in for boom in housing
    By ERIC HEISLER
    Post-Dispatch
    12/17/2003

Site work began this week on the first phase of a planned $1 billion community in southern Belleville that's drawing comparisons to St. Charles County's WingHaven

At 1,900 acres, the entire project is Belleville's attempt to capture a share of the home construction boom that's taking shape in southwestern Illinois.

The community of 1,400 homes is yet to be named. It will rise on farmland littered with abandoned coal mines and hampered by flooding issues and deserted railroad tracks. The area also lacks adequate roads and other infrastructure.

To lure developers, Belleville has proposed using more than $100 million in tax-increment financing.

"This is an area that would not develop without the TIF district," said Gary Hoelscher, , an engineer who helped plan the community. "Belleville's an older city. They've always had a little growth here, a little growth there. . . . To get some of the development that's now going on in other parts of Southern Illinois, they've had to be more aggressive."

On Wednesday, a group of builders broke ground on the 94-acre first phase on Highway 159 south of Highway 15. The subdivision, Reunion, will be made up of 400 homes built by the Jones Co. and American Heritage Homes, two St. Louis County home builders.

Reunion is significant, those connected with the planned community say, because it comes as the first solid investment in a community that has existed only on paper since Belleville formed a TIF district in 1999. Reunion also follows failed attempts by other developers, who sought to build at the site.

Tamar Properties, based in Chesterfield, is the developer for the $70 million project, which will be aided by $16.5 million in TIF funding. The first homes should be finished by summer.

Similar to WingHaven, the subdivision will be built in the theme of New Urbanism, which seeks to re-create the more pedestrian-friendly qualities of older cities.

While Reunion will be solely a home development, the larger, 1,900-acre community will include golf courses, shopping areas and some open parkland.

The entire project, which would cover more acres than WingHaven, seeks to capitalize on a budding trend of St. Louis home builders, and homeowners, who are viewing the Metro East area favorably.

"People are no longer deterred from going to Illinois," said Richard Ward, a senior principal with Development Strategies, a consulting firm based in St. Louis. "There's an unlimited amount of developable land there that's relatively close to the center of the region. . . . It's simply not as far as Wentzville or Troy (Mo.), where you're 40 miles away. In some of these areas of Illinois, you're only 15 miles from downtown" St. Louis.

This year, St. Clair and Madison counties will account for about 21.3 percent of the St. Louis region's new homes, according to a report by Zanola Co., a market research firm based in Rock Hill. That's up from 17.2 percent in 2000.

The Belleville project has been led for the past four years by City Hall, though it was first proposed in the late 1990s by a developer who wanted to build a massive subdivision on open land in a southern portion of Belleville.

Upon hearing his idea, the city was interested, said Mike Malloy, Belleville's economic development director.

"The city has a tremendous amount to gain from the property tax this is going to generate," Malloy said. "Right now, (the land is) being used for agriculture. . . . And it will increase our population. That's certainly a secondary benefit."

But the site's condition has made development difficult. The city hopes to build roads, extend sewer lines and address many of the other problems through the TIF. Tax-increment financing sets aside future tax revenue on a project to help fund the development.

Initially, developers pursued the entire 1,900 acres as a single project but failed because of a lack of capital needed for an undertaking that large, Malloy said.

More recently, Tamar Properties took more of a micro approach with the Reunion subdivision, proposing to develop only an initial phase of the project. The city now hopes the community will be built out in 15 to 20 years.

"This should be the stimulus for other phases," said Curtis Francois, a managing partner with Tamar. "Depending on how this goes, we may even take on a larger role."

And Belleville may be primed for growth for several other reasons, observers say. Besides Scott Air Force Base, the St. Clair County community enjoys proximity to the retail offerings near Interstate 64.

Reunion, meanwhile, is only about two miles from the proposed Gateway Connector, a highway that would link Interstates 55-70 in Troy to Interstate 255 in Columbia.

Reporter Eric Heisler
    E-mail: eheisler@post-dispatch.com
    Phone: 314-340-8183

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 31 Jul 2005, 12:25 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Jun 2005, 8:26 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 11:45 AM
  4. Replies: 0