Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mixed-Use Nightmare

Mixed-Use Nightmare

Nuff' Said

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Jeez, it looks like a 60s Era public housing project with an office building facade on the bottom. I guess mixed-use isn't always the pretty new town center with lofts above a Starbucks or Abercrombie.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I don't think the concept is bad, but the architecture is absolutely horrible.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Jeff
    I don't think the concept is bad, but the architecture is absolutely horrible.
    Could not have had said it any better.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wheres the starbucks?

Registered
    May 2003
    I wonder what kunstler's opinion of this is.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Well,, it is nice that the residential units have a balcony. If they just used the same building material/colors... it wouldn't have been so bad... it is like they ran out of money at the street level...or it looks like a bad photo shop project...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Chet
    Wheres the starbucks?
    Closest one I could find is about 2 km / 1.2 miles away.

If the building is where I think it is (from the file description), it is not really a starbucks kind of neighbourhood.

Now if it was a Tim's on the other hand.

(EDIT)

Here is the location of starbucks within a 5 mile radius.

(/EDIT)
    Last edited by donk; 08 Dec 2003 at 11:04 AM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im sorry that is butt ugly, very drab and unintresting on the street level.

Sigh this is why folks get a negitive idea of "mixed use".
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Screams 1970s Toronto.

The stores face the street, the housing density is high, and other non-residential uses are incorporated. That's a good thing.

You have to remember, though, that during Toronto's boom years of the 1970s, brutalism was a very popular architectural style. From http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/Brutalist.htm

Brutalism was a response to the glass curtain wall that was overtaking institutional and commercial architecture in the 1960s. The style originated in England but was quickly introduced to Ontario as it afforded an attractive and relatively inexpensive solution to weather and climate control conditions in large buildings, as well as a finish that was less vulnerable to vandalism.

The 1960s and 1970s were years of great expansion in universities and public buildings, and this is where the Brutalist style is most often found. The development of béton brut, a concrete with no formal finish, was intrinsically linked to this style. When the formwork is lifted from the poured concrete, the rough, naturally textured surface is the final finish. The amount of texture on the surface is dependent upon the amount of texture on the formwork. The smooth texture of glass for windows and doors forms an attractive contrast. Most windows in Brutalist buildings do not open and the buildings are thoroughly climate- controlled. The design of the building is largely dependant on the shape and placement of the various room masses. Outlines are quite intricate and exterior walkways are emphasized.
    The building may seem unattractive to our early 21st century eyes, but in 50 years folks will be screaming to preserve it.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 1998
    That actually looks like 3 separate buildings, sort of one behind the other with the picture taken on an angle.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Very blah, but not any worse than 100,000 other buildings spread throughout the more "successful" cities of the continent (i.e., those that actually support "urban" densities).

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Dan
    Screams 1970s Toronto.

You have to remember, though, that during Toronto's boom years of the 1970s, brutalism was a very popular architectural style. From http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/Brutalist.htm

Can't tell I grew up in Toronto during those years.

Am I one of the few people who like brutalism?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't mind some brutalist structures. I think this one is my fav:

Robarts Library, University of Toronto

It actually looks better from the other side.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I don't mind some brutalist structures. I think this one is my fav:

Robarts Library, University of Toronto

It actually looks better from the other side.
    AKA, the Peacock.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    And I was thinking that "Mixed use" of architectural vocabulary is being talked about. I am thankful that cyburbiaites enlightened me about its use!!... frankly think about the architect (or his compulsinons!!) to do this. In a pluralistic society, every body is free to stand alone. No body is appreciated for any comments whatsoever.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    That building is Horrible. Sad very sad.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    Am I one of the few people who like brutalism?
    I dont dislike it, but Id probably get depressed if I had to live with it 24-7

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Worst nightmare.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 05 Aug 2016, 7:19 PM
  2. Nightmare record producer
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Mar 2012, 6:04 PM
  3. Another worst nightmare.
    Friday Afternoon Club