Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Civil servants with HUGE egos, anyone?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Civil servants with HUGE egos, anyone?

I thought it was a little bit strange, after I first moved to Ohio, when gas pumps were labeled with a tag that read ...

FRANK RUSSO

Cuyahoga County Auditor
    Yup, the stickers have his picture. In other places, there might be a sticker ffrom a local bureau of weights and measures, or Department of Agriculture, or something similar, but not ... well, a sticker of a guy.

Orange County, Florida, doesn't have a "Tax Collection Department." No, it's Earl K Wood Tax Collector, with no "department" or "agency" or other such suffix, because the head tax collector is ... well, Earl K. Wood. When I registered my car in Florida, I had to make the check payable to Earl K Wood, not Orange County.

So, what's the deal with civil servants that have big egos? Should they do their jobs, or are they entitled to prominently display their name in every possible way?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Simple - It is an abuse of the public trust. It is politicing at its lowest form - forcing the taxpayer to pay so you can plaster your name everywhere. That is why incumbents are so often hard to beat.

Preachers do the same thing.

Columbia First Baptist Church
    Bubba Smarmy Ledbetter -Pastor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Geez, Dan, Earl K Wood is an institution! He's been around longer than dirt! (Altho' I seem to remember reading in the Sentinel recently that he won't be running for re-election...)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Geez, Dan, Earl K Wood is an institution! He's been around longer than dirt!
    That's what I've heard others say ... but is it typical for Florida Tax Collectors to slap their names everywhere in the manner that Earl K Wood did?

I might have to go with El Guapo ... that it's a sleazy way to keep your name in the public eye, and get more votes in the next election. Still, though, a picture of yourself wearing a bad rug on a gasoline pump certification sticker?

What is the deal with inner city preachers and their names displayed prominently on signs, anyhow? Don't see that in the suburbs.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Of course it's normal. It's what southern politicians do! But I've seen worse. In another FL county, the Supervisor of Elections name appeared 7 times (in red ink, no less) on my voter's registration card.

Registered
    Jul 2003

Re: Civil servants with HUGE egos, anyone?

Originally posted by Dan
    I thought it was a little bit strange, after I first moved to Ohio, when gas pumps were labeled with a tag that read ...

Yup, the stickers have his picture. In other places, there might be a sticker ffrom a local bureau of weights and measures, or Department of Agriculture, or something similar, but not ... well, a sticker of a guy.

Orange County, Florida, doesn't have a "Tax Collection Department." No, it's Earl K Wood Tax Collector, with no "department" or "agency" or other such suffix, because the head tax collector is ... well, Earl K. Wood. When I registered my car in Florida, I had to make the check payable to Earl K Wood, not Orange County.

So, what's the deal with civil servants that have big egos? Should they do their jobs, or are they entitled to prominently display their name in every possible way?
    How could you trust a guy with a bad hairpiece and he can't even wear a shirt that fits and a necktie tied the right way.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Dan
    That's what I've heard others say ... but is it typical for Florida Tax Collectors to slap their names everywhere in the manner that Earl K Wood did?
    Yes. I think it must be mandated somewhere in the Florida Statutes... here in Jax it is....

MIKE HOGAN , Tax Collector.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Mar 2013, 9:07 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Mar 2004, 11:13 AM
  3. A use for Walmarts HUGE lots?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 20 Oct 2003, 11:30 PM
  4. Huge homes and water