Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: FTAA Passes

Registered
    Apr 2003

FTAA Passes

So the FTAA passed - albeit a watered down version. NAFTA is now extended to the entire western hemisphere. No labor standards, no environmental standards, no human rights clauses. Just trade. Only Venezuela objected.

Thoughts?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7315661.htm

Registered
    Feb 2003

FTAA Light?!

It is a joke. It allows countries to “opt out” of items they don’t want to follow. What kind of agreement is that? And sure, who would not agree to that. Successful my ___.

However, I still have not made up my mind which side I stand on here, so I guess this outcome is a better temporary one than a concrete strict outcome leaning one way or another.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Oh well. No country needs a middle class, anyway.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Re: FTAA Light?!

Originally posted by H
    It is a joke. It allows countries to “opt out” of items they don’t want to follow. What kind of agreement is that? And sure, who would not agree to that. Successful my ___.

However, I still have not made up my mind which side I stand on here, so I guess this outcome is a better temporary one than a concrete strict outcome leaning one way or another.
    Yeah, I have to agree here, if the South American countries can pull off getting the human contingencies in there it could be a positive. I'm reserving final judgement until after the next round of talks. If it turns out to be like NAFTA, though, this could be disastrous for our economy - well, the economy will do well most of the people in it won't.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Backstage Passes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 22 Jul 2009, 10:37 AM
  2. Oregon ballot measure 49 passes
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Nov 2007, 1:53 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Aug 2006, 8:02 PM