Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: FTAA Passes

Registered
    Apr 2003

FTAA Passes

So the FTAA passed - albeit a watered down version. NAFTA is now extended to the entire western hemisphere. No labor standards, no environmental standards, no human rights clauses. Just trade. Only Venezuela objected.

Thoughts?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/7315661.htm
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Feb 2003

FTAA Light?!

It is a joke. It allows countries to “opt out” of items they don’t want to follow. What kind of agreement is that? And sure, who would not agree to that. Successful my ___.

However, I still have not made up my mind which side I stand on here, so I guess this outcome is a better temporary one than a concrete strict outcome leaning one way or another.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Oh well. No country needs a middle class, anyway.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Re: FTAA Light?!

Originally posted by H
    It is a joke. It allows countries to “opt out” of items they don’t want to follow. What kind of agreement is that? And sure, who would not agree to that. Successful my ___.

However, I still have not made up my mind which side I stand on here, so I guess this outcome is a better temporary one than a concrete strict outcome leaning one way or another.
    Yeah, I have to agree here, if the South American countries can pull off getting the human contingencies in there it could be a positive. I'm reserving final judgement until after the next round of talks. If it turns out to be like NAFTA, though, this could be disastrous for our economy - well, the economy will do well most of the people in it won't.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Backstage Passes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 22 Jul 2009, 10:37 AM
  2. Oregon ballot measure 49 passes
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Nov 2007, 1:53 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Aug 2006, 8:02 PM