Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Average Jane?"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

"Average Jane?"

The NBC reality show Average Joe -- which features a number of average-looking guys competing for the love of a hottie -- is a refreshing change from TV-land prettyness. What if the genders were reversed? What if twenty average Janes, some "big beautiful women", or even some haggard, hard-ridden and wet-stored Appalachian gals, were competing for the love of a gorgeous hunk? Would any network have the huevos to try that? How could they convince the viewers that such a guy could envision happiness with such a woman? Who would watch it?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2003

Average Jane

Well, I'd watch it and I'm an average bloke!

There's something so natural and fresh about the "Average Jane".

I heard recently that a British reality TV show did much the same thing but the guys were vying for one girl who was actually a transvestite. I can't confirm the name of the show or whether this is indeed true, but if it were, I would expect that the contestants have a good case for civil action against the show producers.

Registered
    Feb 2003

Re: Average Jane

Originally posted by Red Right Hand
    I heard recently that a British reality TV show did much the same thing but the guys were vying for one girl who was actually a transvestite.
    Why do people keep going on these things? Where the heck is Pavlov when you need him?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Sep 2001

Well, I'd watch it and I'm an average bloke!

I heard recently that a British reality TV show did much the same thing but the guys were vying for one girl who was actually a transvestite.
    I know there is a picture/thread floating around here someplace on this item, I just can't find it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Unnattractive women are not allowed on TV.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    Unnattractive women are not allowed on TV.
    Uhhh, Whoopie Goldberg. Rosanne Barr. Cokie Roberts. Your average guest on Jerry Springer. The list can go longer if you wish.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by martini
    Uhhh, Whoopie Goldberg. Rosanne Barr. Cokie Roberts. Your average guest on Jerry Springer. The list can go longer if you wish.
    Well, yeah, there are some exceptions - especially established comedians. I'm getting at the sitcom/drama series women who are thin and pretty but married to fat, flannel guys who can't do anything right. There would be no show if the King of Queens was married to a woman of equal attractiveness.

Something bothers me about the general trend toward the beautiful people especially in the realm of serious tv. It seems like there are way too many "guest experts" on national news shows who you know were chosen because they are attractive as business analysts go. Like the 30 year old professional hottie commenting on CNN is the most experienced analysist out there. Same applies to hunky businessmen I suppose.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by martini
    I think you are being a little hard on Cokie. Sure, she is a little past her prime, but still an attractive mature woman.

Registered
    Oct 2003

I heard recently that a British reality TV show did much the same thing but the guys were vying for one girl who was actually a transvestite. I can't confirm the name of the show or whether this is indeed true, but if it were, I would expect that the contestants have a good case for civil action against the show producers.
    Ask and ye shall receive. We did this thread a little while ago on the program and lawsuit.

I don't watch so called "reality TV". I don't watch enough TV to waste it watching a contrived piece of crap.

Registered
    Oct 2001

BBW's

And why, exactly, can they get away with that term? I mean, if you're a fat woman, you're automatically in the BBW club?

How about BUW's? Those big ugly women? And there's, let see... "queen sized" and "plus sized"... but no, "I could play defensive end for the Rams sized"!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Re: BBW's

Originally posted by Mastiff
    How about BUW's? Those big ugly women? And there's, let see... "queen sized" and "plus sized"... but no, "I could play defensive end for the Rams sized"!
    I recently heard a big woman described as such: "I had to hire a rodeo clown to distract her while I brought in the groceries." Larry the Cable Guy, from "The Blue Collar Comedy Tour". Very un-PC, but funny.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 May 2008, 12:55 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 11:39 AM