Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Business Improvement District Question for WI Planners

Registered
    Aug 2001

Business Improvement District Question for WI Planners

Question: Wisconsin Statutes regarding BIDs indicate their purpose to benefit "commercial" property. The statute 66.1109 does not define the term commercial. Would you contrue this to cover industrial properties as well, as they are engaging in commerce?

I would believe that industrial properties are considered commerical and would be able to establish a BID to finance improvements in an industrial area.

If they are in an area where it is primarily an office/retail BID, I think they should be included in the taxing district.

I think that Milwaukee might have a BID in the Riverworks retail/industrial area south of Capitol Drive.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks, Repo. I am finding through preliminary research you may be right on. Oshkosh has a mixed use BID which includes MFG properties.

Ours would be 90% industrial and 10% retail / service.

Like your old employer's original industrial park, ours is at the 'low' of the real estate life cycle. 1970's industrial metal buildings built to max FAR. No high speed data options. Rural cross section roads that are 22 feet wide at best. Inadequate lighting. Inadequate stormwater controls and per-parcel on-site options are not realistic. TID isnt an option. There is an initial willingness to explore the BID self-taxing concept.

I guess its worth exploring further.

Cardinal - your thoughts are most welcome.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No question about it. I believe Milwaukee has a couple BIDs that are primarily industrial. I know for certain that Milwaukee BID #26, in the Menomonie Valley, is an industrial BID. You might contact Chuck Law, in the Local Government Center at the UW-Extension for other examples and information.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Street improvement district
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Mar 2008, 10:25 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 30 Oct 2006, 9:31 AM
  3. Usefulness of BIAs (business improvement areas)
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Oct 2006, 7:41 PM
  4. Neighborhood improvement district
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Apr 2005, 2:57 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Mar 2001, 6:45 PM