Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Housing prices: Is Cox Incompetent or Immoral?

Housing prices: Is Cox Incompetent or Immoral?

This is the latest example of how far anti-smart growth extremists will go. Good Jobs First put out a report "The Jobs are Back in Town," then the Heartland Institute puts out their "New Report Confirms Smart Growth Raises Housing Prices" authored by Wendell Cox and Ronald D. Utt. Now here is the core problem. Cox-Utt take data from the Jobs report saying that the figures are for construction costs per residence. But even the most casual reading of Jobs report would reveal that the data are dollar data are given PER NEW RESIDENT over a ten year period. It should also be noted, of course, that construction cost data are not the whole story; selling prices for the different classes discussed should be analyzed, because of differences in various inputs. Based on their completely wrong interpretation, Cox-Utt then make claims that smart growth raises housing prices. Logically, I see only two explanations. Either two very seasoned professionals showed their incompetence, or they intentionally misinterpreted the data to make their usual attack on smart growth. So now the issue is will the Heartland Institute use its PR machine to spread the word about the authors' embarrassing failure. Considering the intellectual incest that the anti-smart growth crowd practices, however, there are probably publications already produced based on the Cox-Utt release.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Joel I hope you post to other threads and that you don't use these forums for your personal soap box and to sell more books.

Buyer beware.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Joel: I read your website. While sympathetic, I would have to ask you one thing: You know that death is inevitable, even for people who live in exciting, mixed use urban nirvannas? Suburbia really doesn't "kill," "life kills.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 18 Oct 2010, 1:54 PM
  2. U.S. Housing Prices in Freefall
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 72
    Last post: 03 Aug 2009, 1:32 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 9:15 PM
  4. Am I the only one happy about housing prices dropping?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 2:31 PM
  5. Students and Loan, Housing Prices
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Sep 2003, 1:13 PM