Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Relocation (?)

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Yes, it is me.

I suppose you're already in planning, but since you were thinking about politics, I think law might have been a better choice. Plus it opens more employment possibilities for before the election.

Also, I'm involved with a political organization you might find interesting. It's called "Break the Gridlock," and its focus is on reducing car dependency in Chicago by promoting alternatives. Here's the website: http://www.breakthegridlock.org/
    I considered law but I dont really want to be a lawyer, I would only be doing it because alot of politicians are lawyers. One should not go to a super competitive place such as law school just for a background. I was drawn to planning because of the urban issues that are being discussed. I am already in my second semester of grad school so I might as well just finish up, I still feel I made a good decision with planning.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by np_f
    Are there any planners on the board that relocated elsewhere without any problems? If so, do you work in a public or private sector?
    Moved within Colorado - Breckenridge to Denver to attend graduate school,
    Moved from there to SW Indiana.

Big problem was Identity Theft - mail not being forwarded.

Work in the public sector.

Problem for me now is relocating after 10 yrs being here.
    if I relocate
    how easy is it to be covered for health benefits, so there is no lapse/gap?
    is vacation time ever negotiable in the public sector?
    is PERF / vesting transferable?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    how easy is it to be covered for health benefits, so there is no lapse/gap?
    is vacation time ever negotiable in the public sector?
    is PERF / vesting transferable?
    The answer is not simple.

In my current and previous positions, I was covered by insurance immediately. Before that, it took six months. My current employer will allow me to use unused sick leave to continue buy into my current plan if I leave.

Vacation can be negotiable, depending on the employer and part of the country. Employers in some states (Wisconsin, for instance) seem to be more flexible on this than others. More senior positions also seem to have greater flexibility. Large cities are the worst in this regard.

Retirement programs tend to be transferable within state, but that is all. My employer currently pays in both the employer and employee share - a total of 10% of my salary. If I change jobs to another city in state, I can still be a part of the plan (almost all cities are part). If I leave the state I can leave the funds in the plan and still collect when I retire. If I withdraw the funds, I only get the employee share.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Hi, I have thought a little bit about what people have said and asked a few questions from people in my program and elsewhere. The problem is there seems to be no sraight answer on this issue. So I ask you, is Urban Planning a very relocation intensive field? I decided to enter planning in large part because I thought it was not a very relocation intensive field. I entered this field in large part because of my passion for my hometown of Chicago and my desire to serve its citizens, if I went elsewhere the passion would not be there, my political ambitions are the most mitigating factor though. The good news from what I could gather is that my program here at UIC is a heavily policy based program as opposed to just the traditional physical planning aspect in many other planning schools (The degree is called Masters in Urban Planning and Policy in fact), my concentrations are in Community Development and Economic Development both heavily policy based fields. I was told that because of this diverse background I could easily apply for many non-traditional planning jobs such as public policy, etc. of which there are plenty in the city. My counselor told me there are many people who graduated from our program 20 years ago who have never left Chicago and never had trouble finding jobs here. Also since we are the only planning school in Chicago employers here are very familiar with the curriculum and it is well respected, we are by far the biggest producers of professional planners in Chicago. Also I am taking a class called "Chicago Planning" which teaches many of the ins and outs of planning here, the professor refered to the class as a "boot camp for future Chicago planners", he talked about how many of his former students now have successful careers here in Chicago. I was taken a little aback by comments some people made on this thread, but after speaking to various people I see no reason to drop out of school and leave the profession in fact I am just as happy as ever for choosing this urban planning program. If anyone has any advice about how to make myself more competitive in a large local market as Chicago it would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Relocation: what would you sacrifice?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jul 2010, 4:08 PM
  2. Server relocation
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Apr 2009, 10:55 PM
  3. Relocation package
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Jul 2008, 9:36 AM
  4. Help with possible relocation