Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Extraordinary Pop-Up Ads!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Extraordinary Pop-Up Ads!

Who buys this crap?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Where can I get one of those? I really need to show my rabid patriotism by giving my money to some dumbass for a painted piece of tin.

I received this one in the e-mail today.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Beaner,
    I smell Dixie Chick syndrome here. Go find a truck stop and ask a few people there who buys that crap. I dare ya.

The answer is; the people that pay your wages buy that crap. Here we have another case of Im superior to those people because my tastes are more elevated. Beaner, you live in freedom because the great-unwashed (people that would buy that crap) gave up sons, daughters, husbands, and wives to secure your freedom. You in turn insult them in safe place like Cyburbia. Your question is sad and personally uncourageous.

BTW - Have you ever lifted a hand in the defense of your nation?

Let the games begin.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    EG -

I'll step up for Beaner. That coin is crap. I collect coins. No collector would tell you it has any real value. I commend people who want to show their (hopefully thoughtful) patriotism, but sending their money to this company is not the best way to show it. Put up a flag, or if you really need to part with your money, give a donation to some veteran's organization. Several of ours have banded together to put up a permanent flag display in a city park. It is a far better tribute to our armed forces than a coin.

Registered
    Sep 2001

Re: Extraordinary Pop-Up Ads!

Originally posted by Beaner
    Who buys this crap?
    Unfortunately, the same people who are taken in by get-rich-quick schemes; pyramids schemes etc. The people who can least afford it.

10% of the proceeds??? How much is that? How do they know it really goes to "our brave war veterans"? The vets would benefit more by a straight donation to a valid organization.

We have had several cases locally where groups have canvassed for donations for a cause. The name they use is very similiar to a registered organization (ie Parkinson Society Canada [real] vs Parkinson's Support and Research Society [not]) but very little or no money actually goes to research. Also, more well-known organizations spend a huge amount of money on administration and fundraising campaigns.

It is unfortunate that donating to a charity requires as much research as buying an appliance. I don't have a problem with buying the stuff (not that I would, but if a stamp was issued with a surcharge maybe I would buy that) but I don't think marketing the donation to the vets is quite right, at least without more details.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Who buys this crap?
    A mother, glued to CNN every night, crying her eyes out because she scared to death that little Johnny might not come home. But deep down she is so proud of what he is doing.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I do agree with Beaner and friends: It is Chintzy crap. That is not the crucial question. The question in my mind is why does he feel it necessary to feel superior to the people that do buy crap? What is the motivation behind the question?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Has nothing to do with the fact that the armed forces are on that coin. If it were a black velvet painting of Elvis on a coin, I'd probably make the same post.

El Guapo, I insulted no one. Get off your high horse, already.

Originally posted by El Guapo
    Beaner,
    I smell Dixie Chick syndrome here. Go find a truck stop and ask a few people there who buys that crap. I dare ya.

The answer is; the people that pay your wages buy that crap. Here we have another case of Im superior to those people because my tastes are more elevated. Beaner, you live in freedom because the great-unwashed (people that would by that crap) gave up sons, daughters, husbands, and wives to secure your freedom. You in turn insult them in safe place like Cyburbia. Your question is sad and personally uncourageous.

Let the games begin.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    These coin advertisements have typically shown up in the USA Week-End (USA Today) sunday newspaper insert. This morning, I get a pop-up showing an ad of similar crappy "collector" mementos - the first time I have ever seen such a pop-up. I always get the NetFlix and X-100 Camera pop-ups. I was surprised to find a painted collector coin pop-up.

My motivation for commenting on the pop-up is really none of your business. You might think that I am an anti-war bleeding heart liberal, so maybe that's the reason why I posted that pop-up ad, right? Yeah, that must be it!! Next, I'll be hearing that it is un-American to comment on goofy-looking painted coin internet pop-up ads. We can create threads on glurgey web-sites, but we cannot make threads on pop-up ads. Huh. That makes no sense to me.

If I feel like commenting and criticizing elements of our cultural environment, I will do so. I will not be scared off by El Guapo's hardball scare-mongering tactics.

I do agree with Beaner and friends: It is Chintzy crap. That is not the crucial question. The question in my mind is why does he feel it necessary to feel superior to the people that do buy crap? What is the motivation behind the question?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Scare-mongering? Whoo Hooo!

Beaner,
    I am of the opinion that you believe yourself to be of a social order of magnitude above the common man. I have come to this conclusion from reading your many contemptuous posts when you discuss the public or American culture. Whenever the subject rolls around to average people, you always seem to have a smarmy shot to take at them. I would classify you as the David Spade of Cyburbia. I think people who despise the average American citizen, like I believe you do, are quite dangerous in positions of public trust. That is where I am coming from. That is why I react to your posts. I feel a fundamental sense of fairness requires someone to defend the masses. Now, what should I monger next?

Sincerely,
    Hardball

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Who buys this crap?
    Typically, the lower middle class.

It's called "display patriotism," and I learned about the phenomenon shortly after 9-11.

Those in the working class tend to have more ... uhh, obvious displays of patriotism than those in what are considered higher social classes. Drive through a working class area, and you would have seen trucks with rear window tint screens that show an eagle against a US flag backdrop, flags flying from most houses, residents wearing black t-shirts showing a crying eagle against the backdrop of the WTC, a few houses painted red white and blue, and so on.

You didn't see such displays in upper income neighborhoods. It's not that the middle and upper classes are less patriotic, but they tend to be a bit more subtle about it. Why? The lower classes don't have much, so when it comes to things such as patriotism, sports team or racecar fanaticism, religion, and so on, they tend to be a bit more enthusiastic about it. That's all they have, in their minds.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm on Beaner's wavelength every time I see a roadside display of velvet paintings or unicorn rugs.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Not to speak for Beaner but there are plenty of things in our society that reflect a noble sentiment in a tacky way. Take the picture below for example. Any Christian believes in Jesus, but is a statue of Jesus playing hockey against kids tacky? Definitely. Any American should support their troops but the coin does looks like a cartoon drawn by a 10 year old and like others have said most of the money does not go to soldiers. Maybe I'm cynical but I think whoever is selling the coin is just taking advantage of a national trend to make quick money.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    No good christian home is complete without one of these!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    All you have to do is go shopping any time any where to see that people will buy anything. What is one persons crap is anothers treasure. It still amazes me though!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Scare-mongering? Whoo Hooo!

Dear El Guapo,

Expect a PM from me later this afternoon.

Sincerely,

Beaner

Beaner,
    I am of the opinion that you believe yourself to be of a social order of magnitude above the common man. I have come to this conclusion from reading your many contemptuous posts when you discuss the public or American culture. Whenever the subject rolls around to average people, you always seem to have a smarmy shot to take at them. I would classify you as the David Spade of Cyburbia. I think people who despise the average American citizen, like I believe you do, are quite dangerous in positions of public trust. That is where I am coming from. That is why I react to your posts. I feel a fundamental sense of fairness requires someone to defend the masses. Now, what should I monger next?

Sincerely,
    Harball

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I'm on Beaner's wavelength every time I see a roadside display of velvet paintings or unicorn rugs.
    I agree, but I sometimes like house-tack (you can take the boy out from the hillbillys but you can't take the hillbilly from the boy). I saw the best ever at a roadside stand several years ago. It was a painting, air brush I think, of (fat jumpsuit)Elvis kneeling at the foot of the crusifix, on black velvet. I kick myself to this day for not buying it.

Just an observation:
    Dan's correct about the socio-economic group that buys a majority of this stuff. Growing up we had some neighbors (and when I say neighbors, I mean that they lived within two or three miles of our house)who were fairly poor at the time yet somehow they managed to buy and fill their house with every collectors plate or painted "coin" ever advertised in Parade Magazine.

"We can't afford winter coats for the kids, but the Franklin Mint just raised our credit limit. WhoooHooo!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Michael Stumpf... OMG! Have you ever seen one of those stretch 4x4s in person? I never saw one of them until I went to Denver. They are all over the place there... quite scary. The stretch bright blue durango was the worst, followed closely by the stretch Humvee.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite
    Michael Stumpf... OMG! Have you ever seen one of those stretch 4x4s in person? I never saw one of them until I went to Denver. They are all over the place there... quite scary. The stretch bright blue durango was the worst, followed closely by the stretch Humvee.
    I've never seen one. Around here we have something similar. They are usually painted yellow and have flashing lights on them. Can somebody explain why you need a vehicle like this? Maybe one of the 73% of women who prefer them?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    As you where posting this question, I was posting some pictures over in the juvenile thread that will give you something to think about...
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    As you where posting this question, I was posting some pictures over in the juvenile thread that will give you something to think about...
    Saw them. I can see why a woman might be attracted to something like that.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by biscuit
    I saw the best ever at a roadside stand several years ago. It was a painting, air brush I think, of (fat jumpsuit)Elvis kneeling at the foot of the crusifix, on black velvet. I kick myself to this day for not buying it.
    I know how you feel. I still kick myself for not buying a velvet painting I saw in Juarez about twn years ago ... it pictured the Virgin Mary, cradling the baby Elvis.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Dan

I know how you feel. I still kick myself for not buying a velvet painting I saw in Juarez about twn years ago ... it pictured the Virgin Mary, cradling the baby Elvis.
    That's kinda like the one I have over my bed! Only she's holding Dale Earnhardt.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Mike D.

That's kinda like the one I have over my bed! Only she's holding Dale Earnhardt.

Sweeeeet!
    So is the Virgin Mary holding a big Dale Earnhardt or a little baby Dale Earnhardt in a #3 ball-cap?

Thy will be done in Darlington as it is in Martinsville

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How can you turn this one down? Click on the pop up, and you think you are getting a page that will give you a free screensaver.

Nope.

Instead, you get these five questions:

1) Would You Be Interested In A 0% Intro APR Credit Card?

2) Do You Have $5,000 in Credit Card Debt?

3) Would you like a FREE CD from BMG Music Service??

4) Are You A Home Owner Or Planning To Buy A Home In The Next 6 Months?

5) Interested in information about refinancing your student loans at the lowest rate in history?

Then, they want your name and e-mail address. I knew it was too good to be true!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast