Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Starbucks Peak Parking

Starbucks Peak Parking

Hello we are considering a variance request to reduce the number of parking spaces for a small center with a Starbucks, ice cream shop and a cafe (6,000 sq ft total) from 1 space per 75 sq ft to 1 space for every 200 square feet. They would have a total of 40 parking spaces.

The big question is what is Starbucks peak parking demand? Does anyone have any idea what a peak parking demand might be for a coffee shop? Or how about an ice cream shop?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I guess that depends on the Starbucks... I doubt the one here has any parking at all; but the again I haven't gone there yet.

It's at the edge of a SF Residential neighborhood. It's reusing a vacant gas station. The neighbors are most concerned about having parking on-street in the neighborhood.

I'm sure we can reduce the parking some, but I want to get a feel for how much would be too much.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    From my experience with Tim Hortons, and if it at an auto dependent location, I'd say no variances.

It is not uncommon for cars to queue 10-12 deep down the street to access TH in our area, that is after all of the parking is full and the queue spaces are used.

Check out

and

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    That's quite a variance, down to less than 50% of the normally required parking. From what I've seen of the Starbucks around here, I wouldn't recommend it. There has been a running battle for several years in Orlando, between a Starbucks and the adjacent convenience store, which regularly has overflow Starbucks customers towed from its lot.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    If it is auto dependent, not a chance with the other uses identified. 1 per 200 is a retail ratio, not dining. We have several with the drive throughs and they get long lines. Queing lanes need to be long since orders are not prepared until placed.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by ludes98
    If it is auto dependent, not a chance with the other uses identified. 1 per 200 is a retail ratio, not dining. We have several with the drive throughs and they get long lines. Queing lanes need to be long since orders are not prepared until placed.
    DING DING DING we have a winner. What is the expected seating capacity? Will they have a drive-thru to minimize the auto dependent grab-n-go's that would otherwise have to park?

Final comment - we would consider this a USE variance and would deny it on its face. Only dimentional variances can be considered under our code. (ex: requesting a 9x17 parking stall where the standard is 10x18).

Yes there will be a drive thru

They are applying under our Urban Commercial Overlay which allows up to a 50% reduction in parking in areas where pedestrian and bicycle access can be expected.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by OhioPlanner
    Yes there will be a drive thru

They are applying under our Urban Commercial Overlay which allows up to a 50% reduction in parking in areas where pedestrian and bicycle access can be expected.
    So, a permitted reduction is not a variance then. Onlt the reduction requested beyond what is the permitted reduction is the variance. These are some pretty important things to mentio up front when asking the Throbbing Brain for help.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am still concerned. Is this a neighborhood where people will be riding their bikes to work or school? Is it pedestrian oriented? At 7 or 8 in the morning, when the most people will want to stop off for coffee on their way to work, will that many customers be cycling, walking, or segwaying to the coffee shop that the demand for parking will not exceed the number of spaces being provided?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    One of the EIGHT Starbucks in town converted an A&W to their first drive-thru stores. The place is jammed all the time. Luckily the drive-thru lane is on private property, within a stripmall, so the extra stacking room doesn't effect traffic on public rights-of-way. I would HIGHLY recommend a parking study and view the peak times. It is something we would require anyway with the variance applicantion. The burden of proof is with the applicant, they need to justify the request.

Sounds like a resonable use for an old gas station, but if they have a drive-up lane proposed, that could really impact traffic, just the TH pics posted.

50% reduction in parking seems a little outta whack.
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Did someone say Starbucks?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 07 Mar 2014, 9:49 PM
  2. Peak oil? What about Peak Coffee?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 30 Jul 2008, 6:43 PM
  3. The Original Starbucks