Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Italian-American girl seeking only Italian-American boy ... but why?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Italian-American girl seeking only Italian-American boy ... but why?

It the world of online dating, I've noticed that a disproportionately large number of Italian-American women are obsessed regarding their ethnic identity, compared to other ethnic groups. They'll identify themselves as Italians, and often state that their ideal match MUST WITHOUT A DOUBT be Italian.

Why aren't other ethnic groups as obsessed about meeting others of the same (European) ethnicity as Italian-American women?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    because only Italian-Americans have Mama??

Just saw a great Canadian movie - much along the lines of My Big Fat Greek Wedding - called Mambo Italiano maybe that will add some insight?!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    [utterly_stereotypical_view]They want to get conections with other families in the Mafia?[/utterly_stereotypical_view]

We need Jeff's insight on this one

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In Australia the Italian community have been particularly effective in maintaining a number of cultural practices centred on the family. Making food (salami, tomatoe sauce, dried tomatoes etc) and wine, ethno specific soccer clubs, first communion, social clubs (a lot of towns have an Italo Club). Maybe it becomes too precious to put at risk for some.

More typical that insisting on an Italian mate though, is to assimilate the new partner regardless of background - most find the process hard to resist - all that wine and good food.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    in my online dating life (be it short as it is) I am looking for the same ethnic type as me. The only reason i can see is that it makes certain assumptions about standards and ethics easier.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can see having a preference in, say, Canada, where you may have a cultural split between English and french. I may also understand it when the reason may be religious preferences - I dated a Jewish girl in college who wanted to marry a Jewish man (I am not). I wonder how many dates I would get if I added this line: "Ethnically pure German male seeks female member of the Master Race"?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    wonder how many dates I would get if I added this line: "Ethnically pure German male seeks female member of the Master Race"?
    Yoo-Hoo!
    Oh, Herr Kardinal, you sound so sexy in your online profile...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Guess with these women if you you aren't Italian, you just gotta "forgit abo'd it."

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Italian culture is weird. I'd guess that these women you speak of are recently "off the boat" and have parents that don't speak English.

Bringing home a "madigone" just isn't happening, especially if Dad's still alive.

If you are for some reason able to land one of these broads, jump on the chance. You'll never need to do a lick of housework and you'll always be well fed. Be prepared for a rough break-in period with the family though.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Jeff

If you are for some reason able to land one of these broads, jump on the chance. You'll never need to do a lick of housework and you'll always be well fed. Be prepared for a rough break-in period with the family though.
    And be damn sure you know what you're getting into if one of them asks you to "do a little favor"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Jun 2012, 9:50 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 May 2012, 3:19 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Dec 2006, 8:47 AM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last post: 09 Mar 2005, 3:47 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Feb 2005, 3:05 PM