Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: City Sterotypes

Registered
    Jul 2003

City Sterotypes

Last night, I watched the movie "The Big Easy," and I realized that about every fifth wod out of Dennis Quaid's mouth was "cher." Of course very few people in New Orleans actually say "cher," so it seems this movie is playing off the stereotyoe that New Orleans is a city full of cajuns.

So, the question is, what are some commonly believed stereotypes about other cities. (Bonus points for it showing up in a movie).

(I wil admit, however, that "Live and Let Die" was a much more denegrating stereotype of New Orleans than "The Big Easy" was.)

(to mods--I was unsure whether to go here or the FAC. If I chose poorly, please move the thread)
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    New York is rude=true
    Atlanta is southern=false
    Miami is a corrupt banana republic=true

and the #1 stereotype is (drum roll)..............

SanFran is shall we say “light on its loafers"!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Buffalo- Snow 10 months of the year, False (In Bruce Almighty it wasn't snowing)
    LA- Big city, False, giant suburb (In Pee Wee's Big Adventure it took him forever to get out of that Movie Set on his bike)
    Pittsburgh- Full of Yinzers, True (In Deer Hunter, the small town to the south of Pittsburgh, somebody asks if "Yinze watching the Stillers this Weekend" Biddy Mau!!!)
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Valdivia, Chilean Venice= True
    Santiago, the greatest Chilean city= False, It's just big and it sucks!
    Osorno, boring whore-ville= True
    Hanga Roa (Easter Island); We're really not Chileans= False

Registered
    Nov 2002
    These are all true with absolutely no exceptions.

The South is full of illiterate, fat, toothless racists who's ignorance is threatening to swallow the country whole.

The East Coast is full of angry ghetto dwellers surrounded by bearded professors living in the countryside who think they're better than you.

The Midwest is full of kind hearted simpletons who want to bake you pie and maybe save your soul.

The entire West Coast is either involved in a cult, Mexican or gay.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    These are all true with absolutely no exceptions.

The entire West Coast is either involved in a cult, Mexican or gay.
    I must be in a cult. I wonder which one?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Sorry, Ludes.

You're not on the West Coast!

You exist in stucco red tile tract home amongst at least 3,000 other such "ranchers", you are at least 73 years old, vote to the extreme right of the Republican Party, and never leave air conditioning except to play golf.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    The East Coast is full of angry ghetto dwellers surrounded by bearded professors living in the countryside who think they're better than you.
    I'm not angry, just super.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    [cheektowaga]

Hey der. I sick and tiret der of da people who not live in Chickatawaga der who try to stereotype us der as all stupit Polish people der. Just because we have tose der lawn ornaments and those dere Virginmarys on our immaculate front lawn not mean you make fun of us der. We not rich like dose in Amherst der, but we much friendlier. Want a Gennycream der?

I not write any more. I have to take Stella to Our Most Holy Precious Blood of the Martyrs of Krakow church on Unionroat der so she help out with making one of tose der spaghetti dinners der. I then go to firehall der and help tap new keg of Gennycream der.

Stashew Kowaczalack
    65 Rosary Drive (down da strit from da Riteaids der)
    U-Crest Fire District
    Our Most Holy Precious Blood of the Martyrs of Krakow Parish
    Cheektowaga, New York
    Prout tird generation American der

[/cheektowaga]
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 1998
    The Big Easy remains one of my most hated movies ever, mainly because of that annoying ass accent of Dennis Quaid and several other "falseties" about the city in that movie.

Angel Heart taught us that the women in New Orleans, regardless of racial and economic status, practice voodoo and that Satan is Creole (Louis Cypher or lucifer).
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Salt Lake City full of Mormons. False Only 50% of the population is Mormon in SLC.

You can't find a drink in Utah. False. You can but have to follow some stupid laws which are not unique to Utah.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    O, yah... Dey say we talk funny up here in da nort'. Kinda like in dat movie, Fargo, aina?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    Salt Lake City full of Mormons. False Only 50% of the population is Mormon in SLC.

You can't find a drink in Utah. False. You can but have to follow some stupid laws which are not unique to Utah.
    Then whats the other half, Avengelists?

I heard you have to buy a liquor pass to drink in the bars there.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Escanaba Michigan *From Escanaba in da moon light*

Half True, Half False. Not everyone hunts, but most of the town does shut down for opening day. (Even the schools!)

Marquette Michigan. Ture, 10 months of snow, and two months of bad sledding.

OK OK I know that they are not big cities, but hey, for Upper Michigan, they are the Cities...
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by ludes98
    I must be in a cult. I wonder which one?
    Why? Are you a gay mexican? (sorry gay mexican cults)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    I heard you have to buy a liquor pass to drink in the bars there.
    You have to be a "member" or buy a temporary membership card. Stupid.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    "Fargo" Killed it for Minneosta accents. We don't actually sound like Canadians. But we are almost as nice.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Pittsburgh is a city where, with enough talent and drive, a blue collar girl from the steel mills can overcome multiple hardships and fulfill her dream of becoming a renowned Flash Dancer.

There is a [basically true] saying back in South Carolina that natives used to stereotype the cities there that went...

In Greenville they ask where you go to church
    In Columbia they ask what you do for a living and
    In Charleston they ask what you'll have to drink.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Planderella
    The Big Easy remains one of my most hated movies ever, mainly because of that annoying ass accent of Dennis Quaid and several other "falseties" about the city in that movie.

Angel Heart taught us that the women in New Orleans, regardless of racial and economic status, practice voodoo and that Satan is Creole (Louis Cypher or lucifer).
    I also hate the stereotype that there is always a Mardi Gras parade occurring in the City. It seems as if most movies filmed here must include a fake-ass Mardi Gras parade.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by martini
    "Fargo" Killed it for Minneosta accents. We don't actually sound like Canadians. But we are almost as nice.
    But playwright Kevin Kling's accent sure does support the stereotype though

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by BKM
    [B]Sorry, Ludes.

You're not on the West Coast!
    Hmm, so it's exclusive to 3 states then eh? I must be Mexican then. Who knew?

You exist in stucco red tile tract home amongst at least 3,000 other such "ranchers"
    There are 3+ million people in Maricopa County. At least half of them live in stucco red tile roofed houses. = TRUE.

Ranching is a thing of the past here. There may not even be 3000 ranchers left in the entire state. It is, like everyting else, big business controlled by a few. = FALSE

you are at least 73 years old, vote to the extreme right of the Republican Party, and never leave air conditioning except to play golf.
    Not 73. In case you didn't notice I am in Tempe (you know that place where 20,000 Californians a year come to get a degree ), not Sun City. Actually Arizona's 65+ popluation is only 13%, under 18 its 27%. =FALSE

Still Republican, but questioning the party, no chance of becoming a Democrat. In case you didn't notice, AZ's Governor is a Democrat, she can't get anything done though because of the Republican House and Senate. I have been here since 1985. I wish the fear of heat would keep everyone away, but they always show up for our winters. I do wish I had more time for golf!! =TRUE with the anomaly of Democrat Governor excepted.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nope, Ludes, you are a SOUTHWESTERNER. California, Washington, Oregon, and our soon to be annexed vacation/retirement center, Baja California, are the only true West Coast states!

ranchers=ranch houses. Sorry for the confusion.

I actually knew that Tempe has ASU. Its just the stereotype about the rest of the metro area. To be accurate, I should probably add chain gangs and meth labs, no?

As for San Francisco, I would add the following stereotypes:

* It is considered "progressive" to allow people to live in their own feces on the street.

* $500,000 is considered a starter home in a bad neighborhood.

* The City Government's corruption hearkens back to Tammany Hall-but the City is so full of self-righteousness and petty bickering (again, among the "progressives") that corruption is the only way anything gets done.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by ludes98

Not 73. In case you didn't notice I am in Tempe (you know that place where 20,000 Californians a year come to get a degree ), not Sun City. Actually Arizona's 65+ popluation is only 13%, under 18 its 27%. =FALSE
    Last time I checked, my current home of cal state-tempe had around 50,000 students.
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    hmmmm... I am a New Yorker.....makes be a rude bearded professor....doesn't make for a very attractive gal.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by ilikefish0
    Last time I checked, my current home of cal state-tempe had around 50,000 students.
    TRUE. Enrollment hasn't been updated yet, but the 2002-2003 number was 48, 901 students at the main campus with 7,501 at the west campus.

Other typical views of AZ:

Serene desert. Not in Phoenix area. Try the Grand Canyon if you want some serenity. Also most folks (visitors and residents alike) forget this is a desert and use water like they live in a rainforest.

Golf Course haven. They are everywhere, but most are hidden in communities so as to go unoticed by casual visitors. Winter time fees are usually $200 and up so bring your wallet. Thank you for your tax dollars.

New addition: Child Protective Services doesn't protect kids. Sadly true. It is the worst state run agency. Lately kids have been dying due to this agency's inability to do its job.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Aug 2013, 4:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 2:56 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Feb 2008, 2:05 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 1:26 PM
  5. Replies: 51