Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Krispy Kreme

Registered
    Sep 2001

Krispy Kreme

I know we have discussed this before, but I had an entirely new experience on the plane last night.

There were probably 20-30 people bringing back dozens (2-3 dozen each) of these donuts. The security people always look at me odd with my cases of beer, but donuts as carry on?

Odd.
    Last edited by donk; 03 Dec 2003 at 8:37 AM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Donk--Krispy Kremes are the Pilsner Urquell of the Donut World! Have one and you'll be carrying them aboard as well!
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2003

ahh, Krispy Kreme's! Most excellent food for putting on insulation in the winter! Reportedly, Tim Hortons are just as good if not better. If you get KK's fresh off the 'construction line' they'll literally melt in your mouth....

dammit I want some now.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    In a couple of years, these will be the same people who have to book 2 seats because their asses are too wide to sit in one.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Good donuts, bad shelf life. They are great when hot and fresh, but get stale quick. So, I agree, weird carry on item.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I have never had a Tim Horton's but I agree KK's are the best.
    They sell them here as fund raisers. The closest store is 1 1/2 hours away so they make a middle of the night doughnut run and stand in parking lots and people drive by and pick up a dozen. They only do it about once a month and the sell like crazy.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Originally posted by Planderella
    In a couple of years, these will be the same people who have to book 2 seats because their asses are too wide to sit in one.
    Now, now, Planderella -- all things in moderation -- even KKs!

OT: why is it that whenever I fly, I end up seated next to the dude that needs two seats but only bought one and thus ends up 1/3 into my personal space?
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Krispy Kreme doughnuts to many are like crack to a crackhead...extremely addictive!!!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In my opinion, they're way overrated.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't like Krispy Kremes at all... and I'm not keen on Tim Horton's either. In fact, I can only name two donut shops I like... one in Portland and one in L.A.

I once carried on two large pizzas for a gal that I used to know in Davis who moved to Santa Barbara. She loved the pizzas so much that she sent me money to carry two down to her in So. Cal... she even drove an hour to my parents' place to pick it up. Boy, everyone on the plane was peeved because the pizza smelled so good and all they got were little bags of peanuts (sorry southwest passengers).

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite

I once carried on two large pizzas for a gal that I used to know in Davis who moved to Santa Barbara. (sorry southwest passengers).
    My cousins, who live in the San Francisco area, take pizzas home with them from New Jersey. For his birthday my aunt sent him 6 pizzas one year by fedex.

Maybe we should change this thread to "weirdest carry on item ever?"
    Last edited by donk; 03 Dec 2003 at 12:08 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll give a thumb's down to Krispy Kreme. We can get them here, but why? As much of a donut fan as I am, I simply do not like theirs. What have I carried onto a plane? How about a half dozen bottles of wine from Napa? Or similar to nerudite, a cinnabon. Carrying food onto an airplane is getting to be a better idea all the time. Meals have been eliminated from many flights, and even snack/beverage services are getting more pathetic. Why even bother having skywaitresses?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I gave up on airline food long ago. I've been carrying on my own sandwiches/snacks for years. I always see these jealous glances of "why didn't I think of doing that?" shot in my direction. The last flight I was on, I noticed many other people doing this too. Just be sure you buy your food somewhere other than the airport($$$$).

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I have done the KK carry on. That was way before KK came to the Phoneix area. I used to get requests for IN N OUT Burger too before we got them here. I am a KK fan, but I am not crazy about IN N OUT.

Funniest carry on ever: In college, one of my buddies had a stuffed purple rooster for his mom one Christmas, real but dyed. Think of men who can't grow up, perhaps fraternity crass. Flight attendants actually thought it was cute.

Registered
    May 2003

Another Lemming-Like Behavior

Being among the uninitiated, I'm not sure what's all the fuss about...aren't they essentially lard & sugar?

Why even bother having skywaitresses?
    For the view.

KK =yuk, they make me feel sick to my stomache. I love a good donut and fortunately Fosters (local donut shop) is going nowhere!!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    yes. Just lard and sugar, but in the best combination around. I've been hooked on donuts since the days of going to the church basement after mass and hording all I could and getting sugar hyper while my parents talked amongst other adults. They always wondered why I slept all afternoon on sundays....

And yes, there are much better donuts out there. Duseks in Faribault MN has a fabulous line of fried goods they serve up. And they ARE better than KK's. I just think that KK's are pretty damned good too. But ONLY when hot/warm.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Yuck, I am just not a donut eater. Glazed donuts are icky, IMHO. I save myself for handsful of M&M's from my office Dilbert dispenser.

Cardinal, cinnabons were featured in our paper awhile back because they are, like 700 or 900 calories apiece! You could eat 2 or 3 pieces of pecan pie for that many calories. Don't go near the cinnabons!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    To much processed sugar!
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2003

Krispy Kremes in Australia

When driving through Sydney (SW suburb, Liverpool) last weekend I saw my first ever KK store. It was nearing completion and had a sign saying it would be open in a few days.

I do not know if this is the first KK in Australia and I'm not likely to be driving past in the near future so I won't be able to take a position on the product. Just sharing the news.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Krispy Kreme celebrates 67 years
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 14 Jul 2004, 9:37 PM
  2. Krispy Kreme Hysteria
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 02 Mar 2004, 5:24 PM
  3. Krispy Kreme Hullahballoo
    Friday Afternoon Club