Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: landfills

Registered
    Sep 2001

landfills

Does anyone have a landfill zone? If so, what is permitted in the zone? What requirements do you have in evaluating either new landfills or expansions to existing landfills?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have created a special zoning district named after the town next door... oh wait, no, we tell people to go to the town next door.

I can't recall ever seeing such a zoning classification. I did some research on the topic a number of years ago. From what I remember, siting is really first an issue of the underlying geology more so than land use.

Registered
    May 1997
    Sounds like a job for performance standards rather than a new zoning district. Be sure you understand what your state/province requires when writing the standards.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The last city I worked for had 3 landfills. In wisconsin they are state regulated, and the state rules trump all local zoning authorities

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Not quite a landfill zone, it's just zoned Public Buildings/Facilities.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The city I previously worked for came up with a supplimental industrial zone for a large landfill/recycling/transfer station facility. Try contacting the City of Rochester, NH :

www.ci.rochester.nh.us

The district is the I-4A district.....with a little digging I may be able to come up with the language....yep....here's their ordinance:

http://www.ci.rochester.nh.us/Public...ingOrds/Chap42
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread