Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Grinch teacher

Registered
    Sep 1999

Christmas Grinch teacher

Here's a teacher who told a class of 6-year olds that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny are make-believe:

http://www.local6.com/news/2679232/detail.html

Yeah, another idiot southerner. Apparently some of the kids were pretty devastated.

I didn't figure it out until 3rd or 4th grade and told my parents in 5th grade that I "knew". My son is in 5th grade and hasn't said anything yet, although he did catch me red-handed playing Tooth Fairy a few months ago.

Who knew when? Good stories about unmasking your folks as these mythic creatures?

That guy is basically an idiot. At 6 or 7 I knew. But I just figured it out. I loved x-mas more for the view of the tree and presents under it. I want a hobby/ toy train!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Christmas Grinch teacher

Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Here's a teacher who told a class of 6-year olds that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny are make-believe... I didn't figure it out until 3rd or 4th grade and told my parents in 5th grade that I "knew"... Who knew when? Good stories about unmasking your folks as these mythic creatures?
    ZG - What are you doing, saying things like that here! Don't worry, Skel, they're just kidding.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    LOL... Cardinal... next time put a snarfle warning

Now that's a friggin moron... geee mabye I'll put on a t-shirt that says "Santa doesn't exist, your parents are liars" and go to an elementary school right when kids go into recess and I can walk through the corridor.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My wife teaches in the same county as that teacher and apparently they had “meetings” about this at her school.

I think it is fine she said what she said. Santa is NOT real. One man can NOT fly around the world in one night and teaching this to kids is fundamentally wrong. Santa should be celebrated as folklore (like the ginger bread man). How do we expect our nations kids to be practical and sane when they are being confused about reality and the laws of physics?

STORY: When I was in 5th grade and my brother was in 1st I showed him where mom and dad hid the presents. The next day he went to school and told his class how Santa was not real. I was called to the principal’s office and scolded for what I had done. Parents of that class were calling my parents for a week. I got in SOOOO much trouble that neither my brother nor I ever told our youngest brother. Consequently I think he believed in Santa until he was like 12 years old. It was NOT healthy.

BAH HUMBUG.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I was about 4 or 5 when I figured it out for myself. For some reason it just came to me that the idea of Santa Clause just didn't make sense, so one day I just flat out told my parents that I knew they were Santa. Mom and Dad were cool with that, however, I was threatened within an inch of my life if I said anything to my little sister.

You know, she's 24 years old now. I wonder if anyone has bothered to tell her yet?

I don't remember when I "knew" the truth, but my son is 6 and I think he still believes in the magic of Christmas. I know he liked the $2.00 the tooth fairy just left him Sunday night

Were this to happen in my son's class, I would hope that he would ask me about it so that I could really judge whether this came as a shock to him. I know he has heard people say that Santa isn't real, but I have never heard him say it. AND I will "threaten him to within an inch of his life" if he says anything to his 4-year old sister.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I don't think I ever truly believed in Santa. We lived in an apartment with no chimney. How the heck Santa was going to get in?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think the teacher's an idiot. Whether a kid believes in Santa is obviously something parents should deal with not the teacher. The teacher just made liars of dozens of parents. There's a difference between enlightening the kids and being a pompous ass.

"How do you destroy a 6-year-old like that?" said Pam Sturt, whose son Bradley is in D.J.'s class.

Is that quote over the top or what?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I stopped believing in Santa when I was like 7 or so... damn stupid americans
    Well after a while, kids realize that it's just a game; but it was fun while it lasted.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Elmo's kids still believe... althought the 11 year old (I think) is catching on (or putting on a good show of still believing for the 8 year old). I think believing in Santa isn't unhealthy... it's the spirit of Christmas personified. If it gets kids excited about Christmas, it's a good thing. Later you explain about traditions and loving the spirit of Christmas. I have no idea when I figured it out... but I was old enough that I wasn't crushed. I'm just glad that Elmo's kids believed in him as long as they have just so I could have fun 'playing Santa' and watching them empty their stockings.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    What there is no Santa Claus?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    From January 1990 Spy Magazine (or so I was told, who knows).

THE ORIGINAL "SANTA PHYSICS" PROPOSAL:

1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn't (appear) to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each.

3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc.

This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.

4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set(2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth.

5) 353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecraft re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.

In conclusion - If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's dead now.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    THE ORIGINAL "SANTA PHYSICS" PROPOSAL:
    Hey, I don't follow all that science mumbo-jumbo. Alls I know is I left the cookies out and the next morning they were gone. How do you know-it-alls explain that one, huh?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    Hey, I don't follow all that science mumbo-jumbo. Alls I know is I left the cookies out and the next morning they were gone. How do you know-it-alls explain that one, huh?
    I agree with Seabishop. I always figured since Santa is magical that he has all those angles figured out. Maybe he stops time. Running a big operation like that maybe Santa does it like Halliburton - not doing much of the actual work, just farming it out to subcontractors and then taking all the credit. Or maybe he drops the presents off earlier, while you were out playing, and asks your parents to put them under the tree for him. Or maybe, just maybe, he is ONLY coming to the houses of the kids who believe in him.

Santa doesn't bring me presents anymore, but I am sure that is because for the last thirty-five years I have been a bad boy.

I bet that subsitute teacher will find a big lump of coal in her stocking this Christmas.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think my overly religious grandmother ruined it for me at an early age. She told me as soon as she saw my first pictures with Santa he wasn't real. I'll be keeping my future children away form her until they figure it out on their own.

Funny story: Back in 4th grade the teacher announced we were going to take the rest of the afternoon off to write letters from Santa back to the kindergarden and first graders.. a pal shrieked in horror- she didn't know about Santa and was visibly upset for the rest of the day.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Science is for those who have no imagination I did like the 14 Quintillion joules of energy. Per second. Each. Anybody say KABLOOIE?

Besides, not only did Santa eat our cookies and drink our (by then warm) milk, he decorated our tree! Did an damn fine job of it, too!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Habanero

Funny story: Back in 4th grade the teacher announced we were going to take the rest of the afternoon off to write letters from Santa back to the kindergarden and first graders.. a pal shrieked in horror- she didn't know about Santa and was visibly upset for the rest of the day.
    We don't have that problem up here... Canada Post workers reply to Santa's mail on a volunteer basis. The mail address is

Santa
    North Pole
    HOHOHO

And then you really get a letter back. It's so cute, that I almost excuse their awful service for the rest of the year.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by H
    I think it is fine she said what she said. Santa is NOT real. One man can NOT fly around the world in one night and teaching this to kids is fundamentally wrong. Santa should be celebrated as folklore (like the ginger bread man). How do we expect our nations kids to be practical and sane when they are being confused about reality and the laws of physics?
    Frankly, to me, this is not very different than the teacher exclaiming something like, "The president is a moron!", "Creation is a hoax" or "Your people killed Jesus!". Not really appropriate for a first grader....

If the kid still believes in Santa wen he's 15, then yes, somebody should probably break the news to the poor sap.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I wonder if somebody has a e-mail address like santa@north-pole.com You know, kids are getting plugged on with this internet thing earlier each day.

Santa Physics made me laugh

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    From January 1990 Spy Magazine (or so I was told, who knows).

ok, come on, admit it. You have been talking to Jordan again haven't you.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2003

Here is a different twist

My youngest brother was 8 when I had my daughter. While I was in the hospital we had to go to parenting classes to learn how to care for the baby. Well he inquired about what I learned in the class and I pumped it up as being a really secret special class and that it was this class where they taught us about Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. He explained to me that they really weren't real. I shook my head and told him it was a real surprise for me and he would just have to find out when he had a baby.
    Guess he still doesn't know, no babies yet!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by otterpop
    Santa doesn't bring me presents anymore, but I am sure that is because for the last thirty-five years I have been a bad boy.
    Strangely enough I still get presents from Santa delivered to my mom and dad’s house.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by MaineMan
    Frankly, to me, this is not very different than the teacher exclaiming something like, "The president is a moron!", "Creation is a hoax" or "Your people killed Jesus!". Not really appropriate for a first grader....
    Actually, it is very different. What you reference are nothing more than opinions, beliefs, theories and/or accusations.

It is not like it was her lesson plan (that would of been too far), but when the kids asked a question; they got the truth they deserved… nothing wrong with that.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I think it's kind of like religion. You know what you want your kids to believe and you don't want anyone else telling them something different, and you'll make the decision when it's time.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Parent -- Teacher Conferences
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 19 Jan 2010, 7:34 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 2:55 PM
  3. Planner vs. teacher
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4