Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Two Killed in Standoff Over Land Dispute

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Two Killed in Standoff Over Land Dispute

I am so glad I'm not in the business of widening roads anymore...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968705899037

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Sad, sad, sad. What is the cost of a life? A little bit of land, I guess.

Sorry, ZG. This happened in the south.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Wow! Good thing I didn't take the job as planner with that county a couple of years ago.

According to Greenville News, about 40 miles north of where this this occured
    "An estimated 200 officers from the Abbeville Police Department, the Abbeville County Sheriff's Office, the Greenwood County Sheriff's Office, SLED, the South Carolina Highway Patrol and the state Department of Natural Resources Division responded."

Think that was enough firepower?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    WOW. Actually, I am surprised it does not happen more often. When I was at planning school in East Tenn our professors would warn us not to tell people we were planners when we were out in rural areas to do our projects because many people did not take kindly to planners in the rural areas. Instead we would just simply say “college student” on a “school project” and we would usually carry an official note to this regard.

I have heard many stories about planners being chased off land around there with shotguns, but no one was ever harmed to my knowledge. Nor have any of the stories been confirmed to my knowledge. :-P

But these guys were police!! The Bixby’s are going away for a long time. It is very sad for all, but hopefully this will wake up DOT’s from thinking they can always do what ever they feel like without any repercussions. Maybe they will try and be more tactful in the future. But I doubt it… The Road Builders Associations have too much money and pull to ever consider slowing down the widening of roads.

It is sad that people were hurt and lives were lost.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Obviously the whole family was wacko to begin with. Actually, I am surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. H is right, sometimes government does not do enough in consideration of those whose property it is taking/affecting.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    He only lived in the house for 10 years, come from away.

Here we've got standards, you can't be that irrational until you've lived here for 50 years and fought in the war and cut 10 cord of wood by hand in a day.

I only wish some of our recent news stories were online. Pedophile as marshall of santa claus parade, stolen cremated remains.....
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

When I was in grad school at Ball State my classmate worked as a historic sites surveyor for his internship. He surveyed a rural county in west-central Indiana. As he recounted it, one late summer afternoon he was driving along until he came to an old farmstead. Taking a closer look, he entered an old family cemetery, fenced with cast iron and filled with ten or 12 really old grave markers. The farmer did not take kindly to this unsought presence and let the family dogs -- shepherds, if I recall right -- have their run. He told me that the dogs never once barked or tried to scale the fence (it was just 3' or 4' tall) but whenever he went to open the gate they began that deep growling that's never a good sign. He was there for quite some time before the farmer's wife came home and recalled the dogs. He skee-daddled without ever looking back

As to the tragedy in SC, it is a sad, sad day, for sure.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by donk
    He only lived in the house for 10 years, come from away.

Here we've got standards, you can't be that irrational until you've lived here for 50 years and fought in the war and cut 10 cord of wood by hand in a day.
    I was thinking the same thing. I mean if the land had been in the family for 10 generations or something I would understand being upset, but not killing someone.

Registered
    Jul 2003

A senseless tragedy...

I live in this area...this situation dominated the TV stations here last night, but I'm surprised to see it in the Toronto news...

This is completely unconfirmed, but I think I heard this was over the highway department taking TEN FEET of his property to expand a road that is substantially overcapacity.

What a waste.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Yikes.

In my city, the hwy dept. is currently doing everything but cartwheels and jumping jacks to satisfy property owners that are being impacted by an intersection improvement project. More than a few affected property owners have stopped into my office to "feel me out" for how they can squeeze the hwy dept. for more $$.... "but, but, my 20-year old plastic Pepsi sign is worth at least $10,000 more than what the hwy dept wants to pay me for it......." Yeesh, we are so darn money hungry in this country that projects to serve the public good end up getting people killed because the guvment is always seen as trying to steal people's property. At least we can be rest assured in knowing that our country is making it a priority to educate its youth for a better tomorrow....oh....wait...I almost forgot.....no child left behind.....hmmm.....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    Sorry, ZG. This happened in the south.
    It did happen in the South, but the people involved were all Yankees. The family involved in the standoff and the alleged shooting deaths of two law enforcement officers were transplants from New Hampshire who had moved to Abbeville, SC in the mid '90s. To make matters worse, one of the men had an outstanding warrent for his arrest back in his home state.

Here's the update should anyone want to know more.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by biscuit
    It did happen in the South, but the people involved were all Yankees. The family involved in the standoff and the alleged shooting deaths of two law enforcement officers were transplants from New Hampshire who had moved to Abbeville, SC in the mid '90s. To make matters worse, one of the men had an outstanding warrent for his arrest back in his home state.
    [
    I thought the lawless shootin' crowd was moving to New Hampshire.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Building / construction Land use dispute with neighbor
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 15 Oct 2012, 1:07 PM
  2. With Al Z killed will things change?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 09 Jun 2006, 11:35 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 31 Mar 2006, 6:36 PM