Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Heliports: issues/conditions to consider?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001

Heliports: issues/conditions to consider?

Do any of you have experience with heliports to share?

I'm trying to come up with a comprehensive list of issues before compiling suggested conditions of approval for a proposed private heliport. The heliport would be close enough to developed/developing lands that I've got to consider the obvious ones like onsite fuel storage, noise, hours of operation, frequency of use, etc, but what about others that are more specific to helicopters, like distance from power lines and indemnification of the municipality from any suits related to problems that might occur?

Registered
    Jun 2002
    We have a new one in a Commercial area. We were concerned with the constant flashing lights of an airport, bright lights and light pollution, noise, and appearance of the "hanger."

These are my recollections and comments as a Planning Commission member:

The "heliport" was approved for only one private (small) helicopter. (I don't have info on the size approved - two passenger?) Flashing lights would be turned on by remote control only during takeoff and landings by the helicopter when needed. Ground lights were to have "cut off" luminaires to avoid "spillover." (Our typical Commercial area light limit is 3 fc at property line.) A beacon type light was not required (or permitted). Noise may still have to be addressed if it becomes a nuisance based on complaints of noise levels being over normal traffic db. It is located about one mile from nearest residences. The appearance will blend into the office building it serves by just appearing to be a slightly larger garage or building "wing." There was adequate "green space" provided when the original office building was built, apparently in anticipation by the owner. We have architectural design controls. Fuel will be underground or at other facilities. There is a small general aviation airport within about five miles. Normal routine aircraft service is allowed inside the "hanger." No commercial maintenance is allowed on site without a business permit. Hours of use were not limited by the Planning Commission.

FAA will govern glide slopes, obstacles, lighting, etc. and be a sounding board for complaints and a source for assistance in addressing other problems if any. We asked for proof of compliance.

The city attorney may have addressed liability concerns with the city prior to city final approval. The Planning Commission was not in on that aspect.
    Last edited by Streck; 15 Feb 2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Jul 2006

And also,

must comply with Aviation Authority regarding flight path, schedules, etc. Certificate of compliance has to be attached to their application. (Just a reminder for Air collision .)
    Check with Aviation Codes.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Keep it away from busy streets. There is on ein my business park, and it darn near causes accidents when people see this helicopter landing right next to the street.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ahh, I hadn't thought of that. Considering the fact that I'm distracted by video billboards, it was a gross oversight on my part not to think about drivers being distracted by helicopters "about to land on them".

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Airport, Airstrip, Heliports
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Nov 2004, 12:23 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 May 2004, 2:15 PM
  3. Variance conditions
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Jul 2003, 8:28 AM