Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Parking space size

Registered
    Dec 2001

back in parking

a lot of communities just wont let you because of parking meters and the like.

back to the main topic, i tend to see that 9x18.5 is a standard.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2003

Re: back in parking

Originally posted by boiker
    a lot of communities just wont let you because of parking meters and the like.
    Rationle?
    The spaces I have seen were metered. Was not possible to back into it.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: Re: back in parking

Originally posted by ludes98
    Rationle?
    The spaces I have seen were metered. Was not possible to back into it.
    my guess is: to make it easier for meter-maids to stick tickets in your windshield. We don't want them to walk ALL the way around the car.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    Nice, but... people back into parking stalls? That isn't even legal here.
    You'll have to get that fixed.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    STANDARD PARKING is 9' x 18' and this seems to work well.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    2.6m x 5.9m. We give on the aisle width though - only require 5.5m. Often, we will allow a certain percentage of spaces under the minimum, provided they are signed for "small cars".

Mixed reviews here, some communities have decided 10' by 20' is the minimum while others have done 9' by 20' and 9' by 19'. We have a few communities updating zoning codes so that may change.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Our spaces are 10 ft by 20 ft.

The 10 ft works great!

The 20 ft is excessive.
    Keep in mind that the minimum space was figured for parking garages where you have a wall at the end, or spaces back up to each other. The entire space must be available for the car. On outsid lanes, cars drive up to the curb and "hang over" the grass or curb. An 18 ft long car with a 2 ft hang over in a 20 ft space generates 4 ft of unused space at the rear. An equal 4 ft of space is generated on the other side of a double loaded lane. This makes the lane 8 ft wider than it needs to be.

When interior spaces face adjacent spaces on the next row, there can be no "over-hang." The above only works on end aisles or interior isles with a landscaping row.

A Saturn has a 24 inch "over hang" from the tire at a curb to the front bumper and 14 inches from tire to the rear bumper.

A Dodge Intrepid has a 28 inch over hang in the front and a 33 inch overhang in the rear.

Backing an Intrepid into a space at a sidewalk could take up 33 inches of paved sidewalk. Not good.

In my opinion we should reduce our spaces to 16 ft length on outside lanes to reduce the amount of impervious surface, and be less costly for a developer to build.

Registered
    May 2003
    I don't really see the advantage to them backing in. It just means they can rip out a lot faster. They should be able to see oncoming traffic through their rearview mirror if they're in forward, so I don't see where the safety advantage is.

For bikers, if the cars are in forward, they have a chance to see the break lights come on when the person turns the car on, and know to avoid it. If they're in backwards, the driver can't see the biker very well because they're out the passenger side window, and the biker dosen't get the signal from the break lights.

Ether way prevents dooring of bikers, though, which is a plus.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by jordanb
    I don't really see the advantage to them backing in.
    A few advantages of backing in

1) Easier and safer to load trunk of car with purchases. (on street only)
    2) Easier to boost the car if the battery craps out from the cold. (like mine almost did today)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

     
    Registered
    Feb 2004

Parkng Dimensions

Quote Originally posted by Mark
    Our off street parking space size requirement is 9.5 ft. x 19 ft., for surface parking.

Planning Commission is talking about reducing the size to 9 ft. x 19 ft.

Any experience out there regarding 9 footers. Is it too skinny?

I currently work for a county that has 8.5 x 20, which I am pushing to change, because I feel it is too narrow. I have worked in other areas where 9 x 19 was the requirement, with the option to shrink the length to 17.5 if there is ample room for a 1.5 foot overhang of the bumber. I personally like this idea, because it effectively reduces the amount of impervious surface area, and tends to lessen the parking lot setback variation requested.

Do you guys have guidelines like these?

This is something I grabbed from an Irish County Development Plan... considering that we are getting quite car dependent here in Ireland too, I was just wondering how do our numbers stack up against that which you would use.... for instance, how many car parking spaces per pitch and putt hole would you guys normally specify?

Land Use Parking Requirements
    Houses 2 per Dwelling
    Apartments/Flats 1.25 - 2 per Unit
    Shops 1 per 25m2 gross floor space within speed limit
    1.5 per 25m2 gross floor space outside speed
    limit
    Offices 1 per 30m2 gross floor space within speed limit
    1.5 per 30m2 gross floor space outside speed
    limit
    Financial Institutions 1 per 20 m2 gross floor space
    Industry 1 per 30 m2 gross floor space or 1 per 4no.
    employees, whichever is greater
    Warehousing 1 per 40 m2 gross floor space or 1 per 4no.
    employees, whichever is greater
    Theatre, Cinema 1 per 5 seats
    Stadia, Churches 1 per 5 seats
    Hotels and Bed and Breakfast acommodation
    Note: Bars, dancing areas and function
    rooms to be calculated seperately
    1 per 2 bedrooms within speed limit
    1 per bedroom outside speed limit
    Bars and Lounges
    Note: Dancing areas, acommodation and
    function rooms to be calculated seperately
    1 per 7 m2 gross floor space within speed limit
    2 per 7 m2 gross floor space outside speed limit
    Bars and Lounges with Dance Areas, Dance
    halls and Function Rooms
    1.5 per 7 m2 gross floor space within speed
    limit
    3 per 7 m2 gross floor space outside speed limit
    Restaurants 1 per 7 m2 gross floor space within speed limit
    2 per 7 m2 gross floor space outside speed limit
    Schools 1 per classroom plus sufficient bus circulation
    and off-loading facilities to cater for schoolgoing
    population
    Golf and Pitch and Putt Courses 2 per hole
    Golf Driving Range 1 per bay
    Bowling Alley
    Note: Bars, restaurants and other facilites
    to be calculated seperately
    1 per lane
    Hospitals 1.5 per bed
    Nursing homes 1 per 3 bedrooms
    Surgeries 3 per consulting room
    Take away 6 per unit
    Community hall/Sports Club 2 per 90 m2 gross floor space plus 2%
    Cash and Carry Outlets 2 per 90 m2 plus adequate loading/unloading
    and circulation facilities for lorries

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From a code I wrote a while ago.

406.5.1 Aisle and curb cut dimensions

Access drives and curb cuts must have the following widths at the gutter line, plus ≥1’ (.3 m) additional clearance on each side of a vertical obstruction ≥0.5 (15cm) tall:

Use / spaces / driveway width
    Residential / 6 or less / ≥8’ (2.45m)
    Residential / 7 or more / 12’-24’ (3.7m-7.4m) 1 way, 20’-40’ (6.1m-12.2m) 2 way
    Nonresidential / 24 or less / 12’-24’ (3.7m-7.4m) 1 way, 20’-40’ (6.1m-12.2m) 2 way
    Nonresidential / 25 or more / 15’-30’ (4.6m-9.2m) 1 way, 26’-52’ (8m-16m) 2 way

Aisles must have these minimum widths:

Parking angle / aisle width
    0°: parallel to aisle / ≥12’ (3.7m) 1 way, ≥20’ (6.1m) 2 way
    30° / ≥11’ (3.4m) 1 way, ≥20’ (6.1m) 2 way
    45° / ≥13’ (4m) 1 way, ≥21’ (6.4m) 2 way
    60° / ≥18’ (5.5m) 1 way, ≥23’ (7m) 2 way
    90° / ≥24’ (7.3m)

[snip]

406.7 Parking and loading space bulk requirements

406.7.1 Parking space dimensions

Parking spaces must have the following dimensions:

Type of space / minimum rectangular dimensions (length x width)
    Automobile space (perpendicular or angled to the aisle) / 9’ x 18’ (2.75m x 5.5 m)
    Automobile space (parallel to the aisle) / 9’ x 23’ (2.75m x 7m)
    Handicapped parking space / 9’ x 18’ (2.75 x 5.5m), plus an 8’ x 18’ (2.5 m x 5.5 m) usable loading area to the right side.
    Motorcycle space / 4.5’ x 9’ (1.4m x 2.75m).
    Bicycle space / Bicycle spaces are a stationary object where a user can secure both wheels and the frame of the bicycle with a 6’ (2m) cable and lock. The stationary object may be a freestanding bicycle rack, a wall-mounted bracket; an enclosed bicycle locker; a three point bicycle rack; or a fenced, covered, locked or guarded bicycle storage area.
    Off-street loading space / 12’ x 25’ (3.7m x 6.1m)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    From a code I wrote a while ago.
    Thankyou Dan, I am going to throw those into CAD later tomorrow and see what they look like.

gareth.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Wow. We're 8'x18'.

As for roundabouts - NYSDOT is HUGE on roundabouts recently - our town has 2 coming in within just the next 3 years.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Newfangled Angled Parking Not-so-new An Idea For Some

Here's a recent newspaper article about a proposal for back-in angled parking in a northern New Hampshire community.

April 5, 2004 Caledonian Record article.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004

Cars only

As a citizen, I'd sure like to see some off-street parking spaces reserved for cars only, or maybe cars & minivans, but barring trucks and SUVs. It can be scary backing a normal-sized car out of a space between two monster SUVs, you can't see anything for quite awhile.

Instead, at our public library, there are some prime spaces marked for LARGE vehicles only, so they don't have to go into the multi-story parking garage. How outrageous! It's bad enough these things hog up more space and gasoline, but in return they get some of the best parking spaces. Sigh.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The car space we reserve is 20 sq mtrs. Thats a bay of 3.3m x 6m ( or 10 by 20).

These new SUVS can't be parked in many of the underground parking areas out here as the ramp slope is too steep and the head clearance too less. Thats 'not foresightful planning' and 'bad building rule enforcement.'
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Parking Things

Our typical "straight-in" space is 9' x 19'.
    We do not allow back-in parking in a few of our public lots due to our tourists from Michigan, who are only required to have 1 license plate, which is placed on the rear of their car. Therefore, if a vehicle were backed into a space, especially along a building, it would be hard, if not impossible for police to enforce any parking regulations (via acquiring plate numbers, etc.).
    I am looking at a standard motorcycle parking space dimensions for our downtown, and have found that 5 x 9 is about the going rate.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We have 9'x20' for a "standard" space, and 8'x16' for a "compact" space (we allow up to 50% compact -- and, yes, it's unenforcable).

I am opposed to enlarging the size of the "standard" space. Why encourage the big cars? Let the Tahoes and the F-350's with duallies reap the consequences of their gas-guzzlers.

As for Hummers, they are their own punishment.

Registered
    Mar 2004

well....

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Nice, but... people back into parking stalls? That isn't even legal here.
    Maybe it should be.....if anyplace does it....shouldn't Boulder be doing it....??

Places that had 45 degree back in parking in place in 2004:
    Seattle
    Washington DC
    Delaware- Not sure where? DDOT ok?
    Montreal
    Pottstown, Pennsylvania
    see:
    www.pspe.org/delco/nawn.pdf

According to a recent seminar on this issue.

If anyone has pictures of where this is in place, that would be great I'm curious to see if these are working on collector roads....AADT/speeds?

The real problem in my mind is that you'll always have some sightless octogenarion, moron or other confused individuals trying to pull in, instead of back in.... But that's not really a problem, you just ticket them for $100 each for creating an unsafe traffic sittuation (them trying to back out into traffic )
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2003

round about web site

Found a good website on roundabouts from a region between Toronto and Detroit.

Region of Waterloo, Traveling a Round About
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Registered
    Mar 2005

Dreaming...dreaming...

So the question is...
    With gas prices as they are, we're seeing SUV sales plummeting and potential hybrid owners have to be placed on a waiting list. Does this mean people are getting smarter (and possibly more eco-friendly - even if by accident) and eventually, we'll have way too much parking - especially considering all people that will be carpooling/walking/biking/mass-transitting around - and we can shrink the space sizes and cut parking lots in half?
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Rem View post
    We do however insist on rear to kerb - ie. so you back in and drive out. Backing in should be safer because you have just traversed the road you back over to get into your space. Using your mirrors to reverse should ensure there are no surprises. Provided you drive out slowly there should be no threat to bicycles when leaving either.
    Would it be possible to provide a drawing or photo of how this works. Is the idea, in essence, to pass the space and then back in at an "upward" angle (and what angle do you utilize?). Also, your on-street parallel parking standards seem quite short -- do you suffer the plague of massive SUV's that we have in America?

Registered
    Jun 2002
    We have trouble with people driving forward into a parking space, and you want people not to just back out of a place they are already in, but to back INTO a space between two cars??? While traffic has to wait for them to get it right??? Ah, the pressure!!! Ah, the road rage!! I can feel it now.

I know, this is for existing downtown areas where there has to be on-street parking.

At least with parallel parking, someone has now invented a car with automatic parallel parking!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Parallel parking space dimensions
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Sep 2012, 4:31 PM
  2. Parking space guidelines
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 12:19 PM
  3. Parking space size