Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ah yes, looking back at one's irresponsible college days

Registered
    Feb 2004

Ah yes, looking back at one's irresponsible college days

Here's where we share the tales of excess and irresponsible behavior that your friends engaged in during their college days.

I had this friend who attended a class ('comparative religion' I think) a grand total of 4 times (first day, mid-term exam, final, and one other day for some reason or other). He ended up getting a 4.0!

This same friend on more than one occasion showed up to his 8:00 a.m. biology labs still drunk.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I was married and had a 6 year old the first time and worked full time when I started college. No wild and crazy days for me.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    There are a number of stories that will keep me from ever running for elected office.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Same here. Married (no children), working, and commuted. No wild times for me, either.

I used to like to think that I transferred from a small, private school in Maine because I saw the writing on the wall that the school was in dire financial straits and the odds of it being open when I would graduate were dubious at best. (In fact, the class after mine was the last to earn degrees there before it shut down.) The truth is that there was entirely too much temptation and at the time I was way too willing to partake in whatever pleasures passed by my door. Rather than explain that to my parents, I let them think I was homesick and transferred to a school an hour-and-a-half from home (as opposed to six hrs to southern Maine).

For example, it was not uncommon for folks to walk up and down the dorm halls to gather interested parties in $1 bong hits. At 5:30 AM. Every Friday night included "Ten for Two at Eight" -- 10 kegs of beer for $2 cover starting at 8PM in a dorm lounge (even though the Maine drinking age at the time was 21). This for some 400 students.

I could go on but I don't want to ruin any chance at elective public office. Ah, yes debauchery indeed...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Here's where we share the tales of excess and irresponsible behavior that your friends engaged in during their college days...
    College days?! What about high school?

I did not engage in irresponsible behavior in college. I was one of those annoying people who went to the library to study or work on a paper after dinner, then showed up at the campus pub* to relax afterwards.

* Yes, we had an on-campus drinking establishment. The drinking age in my state was 18 then. After it was increased to 21, the pub was turned into a cafe.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    then showed up at the campus pub* to relax afterwards.
    Yeah, so tell us about all that relaxation .
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    There are a number of stories that will keep me from ever running for elected office.
    agreed, but for me thank heaven's this was before digital cameras & social media and hopefully the negatives were thrown away

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Yeah, so tell us about all that relaxation .
    I plead the fifth.

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    agreed, but for me thank heaven's this was before digital cameras & social media and hopefully the negatives were thrown away
    Right - my husband says it's a good thing Facebook did not exist back then.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I choose to deny/forget any and all stories, fabrications, hoaxs, myths,and legends told by others, except for the one's I tell
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I second that.

I had a fraternity brother who showed up at a LIT class just for exams (there were a few others too). Midway through the semester, the professor decided to add pop quizes to the mix without telling anyone. Those peoples grades went from A to F quickly.

Tequila and I were no longer friends after my junior year in college. I will stop there from voluntarolly sharing more information about the fun we had during the collegiate years.

At least I didn't have an online girlfriend who died - oh wait I never actually met her - she really didn't die - she never really existed. Oh those crazy catholic school football players.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    When going to the computer lab to write a paper, I would frequently do so with a 20 oz. soda mixed with liquor. I found my words flowed much easier.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It is not a good idea to have the dorm room beneath the RA on the next floor if you want to enjoy illicit smoke, a tile dorm floor and a glass skull bong makes a smelly mess that won't go away for some time, and don't let your roommate throw the seeds out the window, Nuff said.

How did I, uh, some one I know not get thrown out of LSU?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Tequila and I were no longer friends after my junior year in college. I will stop there from voluntarolly sharing more information about the fun we had during the collegiate years..
    At my school there was National Tequila Day when we played BYU at home.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I loved my undergrad experience. I was involved with different organizations that all had different focuses, which allowed me to find a very wide range of friends. It ranged from working at a ski hill, to being in drum line, to rock climbing, to boxing, to club hockey, to being in student government every year I was there, to living both on and off campus, and so much more.

Lets just say it is amazing that I graduated, was not seriously injured, or worse. I will also echo the thank goodness that digital cameras, smart phones, and social media was not around back then.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I plead the fifth.
    I drank the fifth.

Overall I was pretty responsible. I never showed up at an early morning class drunk or even hung over. To make sure this never happened I pretty much never showed up at an early morning class. Other people did the stupid thing. When my girlfriend's brother lost his keys climbing onto the roof of a campus building, then falling and breaking his leg, I was the one who returned the next night to climb up there and look for those keys. When my drunk friends were playing chicken with a freight train, I was the one who pulled them off and put them in the trunk of my car, all under the watchful eye of a police officer.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I was the one who pulled them off and put them in the trunk of my car, all under the watchful eye of a police officer.
    This is the line of the day

It reminds me of going to class a little late with a bunch of kids in a car and one of the kids was chasing the car as it was pulling out so the driver popped the trunk and the kid jumped into the trunk and pulled down the hood on himself but left his arm dangling out the back....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    * Yes, we had an on-campus drinking establishment. The drinking age in my state was 18 then. After it was increased to 21, the pub was turned into a cafe.
    These places are still live and well on Campuses in Ontario. The local Jesuit College, The University of Detroit/Mercy had one up until the late 1980's.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2007
    3rd floor architecture studio room 315 had a fully stocked bar if you knew the key code into the door (dry campus).

Some of my best designs were inspired and completed with my good friend mary jane

I have 2 mardi gras video tapes from when it was the most epic weekend on campus.. think girls gone wild, but i host.

My roomate and i competed in econ 221 to see who had the highest grade, however we had 1 condition. We were to drink during the entire class. Baliey's Cream and Kalahua were great for spirited debates with rather large cups of coffee.

Just a few of some adventures
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I was in a fraternity so there were plenty of witnesses and accomplices. If social media existed my career options would probably have been limited to the French Foreign Legion.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Too much to mention. I was very very very bad.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Too much to mention. I was very very very bad.
    Then how about maybe just treating us to a top two or three? Think of it as a teaser for your upcoming autobiography (that we'll all be sure to buy a copy of)

Registered
    May 2005
    Some of my favorite days in college were during the last few weeks of the year, when on occasion the Tigers would play a 1 PM afternoon game on a Thursday. Since we only had morning classes on Thursday, and no Friday classes, the festivities began.

My buddy and I would get a 30-pack of beer and start drinking at 1 PM as we watched the game on TV. After the game, and as the night wore on,.........well......I guess I don't remember much.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    For me most of my stories are from my misspent days in the Navy, I went to college later (there are still some stories there). Most of my stories start out with, "One time I was drunk in (insert European country) and..." usually nudity insued among other things.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Add me to that chorus, with the addition of smart phones. Let's just say there are several people out there with whom I have a gentlemen's agreement.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Jun 2014, 2:44 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 22 Feb 2012, 4:44 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 30 Nov 2010, 6:13 PM
  4. Back to College lifestyle?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10