Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: OPEC wants aid after oil is gone

Registered
    Oct 2001

OPEC wants aid after oil is gone

Delegates said that Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil exporter, wanted promises of aid if Kyoto spurs a shift to renewable energies like tidal, solar or wind energy at the expense of fossil fuels.
    Let me see if I'm hearing you correctly...

1. You are sitting on the richest natural resources in the world.
    2. You basically pump money from the ground into the bank.
    3. Other people do all of your dirty work.
    4. You live like teenage boys and have the rules they would make up if they were in charge.
    5. You have squandered vast ammounts of wealth instead of investing in your people or nation.
    6. You keep the Middle East situation stired up to keep the political heat off of your kingdoms.
    7. Seven of your citizens recently visted New York and Washington D.C. They we not welcome guests.

Oh yeah, you can count on the aid checks...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science...eut/index.html

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: OPEC want aid after oil is gone

Originally posted by el Guapo
    5. You have squandered vast ammounts of wealth instead of investing in your people or nation.
    This is the real issue. The Middle East is esentially the Third World with vast wealth. Instead of investing those funds in transforming their economies so that they can compete once the oil runs out, a significant amount of that wealth has been spent on assets that will not generate additional wealth. The money is mostly used to live comfortable to lavish lives, relying on a vast number of imported servants and purchasing foreign-made goods. The oil is likely to run out before the demand for it does. Within a generation of that time, the riches will be gone and no industry will have been created to replace the economic engine that oil has been.

The oil is likely to run out before the demand for it does. Within a generation of that time, the riches will be gone and no industry will have been created to replace the economic engine that oil has been.
    And they can have the seventh century all for themselves!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Thas was funny. Aid, HA! I did like this quote in the article:

"Russia can either be seen as a force for multilateralism or can decide to go it alone and become a new rogue state like the United States," he said.
    Uhhh...when was the US ever mulitlateralist?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    As if our entire economy revolving around their oil isn't aid enough.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I cannot post my opinions about Middle Eastern "culture" without being accused of anti-Semitism in the broader meaning of the world. You invented algebra 600 years ago. What have you done since?

(Sorry, not so "liberal" after all.)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by BKM
    You invented algebra 600 years ago. What have you done since?
    Hey, who do you think invented suicide-bombings, the Swedes?

+ Reply to thread