Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Legal Music Downloads

Registered
    Oct 2001

Legal Music Downloads

Hey Kids,
    Please help an old man by telling him where to go to legally download music. I under stand you can pay for the more popular tracts and download tracts by 'undiscovere' bands for free.

I'd also like to record radio broadcasts from another section of the nation to send to a friend overseas who only has a mp3 player on a laptop - no net connection. I can listen to the station, via the net, but recording the streaming audio eludes me so far.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I think Napster charges 99 cents a track and around $9.99 per album now. Good way to weed out the bad songs in an album.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    1) mp3.com has 128Kbps tracks for download from bands of almost any genre you can imagine. It's free, too. You won't find anything by bands you probably recognize, but that might be a good thing.

2) Check out a Winamp plugin called "Streamripper." Good stuff.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001
    www.archive.org

You need an FTP Client such as Smart FTP to do it right, but you can just point, click, download if that's your thing.

These are all "taper friendly" bands, so you may not find you Top 40 Billboard artists here.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Thanks

Q. Does anyone know of a plug-in for Windows Media Player 9 that allow the recording of the streaming radio?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    i had a long talk with my atty about this last night (hes an IP lawyer whos working on the music ripping stuff)

He tells me dont even make copies of CDs and email the mp3 tracks to your friends, apparently they are putting stuff in CDs now that they can start to spot em being emailed. He advised the only sure way to be safe and get music is a large scale public pay service like Musicmatch, Itunes etc. Personaly id go for Itunes (its now ok for macs and Windoz)

He said if your going to steal music 1) get your friends music CDs and copy them onto your MP3 player or have them put their MP3 files on a CD and give the CD to you. Some mp3 players also let you move music back and forth with a firewire.

BTW i asked him becouse Im getting an IPOD for the holidays and wanted to fill that bad boy up!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Here is the goal.
    1. Get streaming audio of my brother in law's favorite home town country radios station - complete with commercials. I have the feed.

2. Copy the files to WMF and burn to CD. I don't yet have a component in WMP 9.0 that records streaming audio.

3. That way he can listen to the old home town radio station while he is serving his nation.

Any help is welcome. jordanb is there a linux tool for this?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never used it myself... but a friend has used Audio Maestro to record a radio program for me. It appears to be free (at least the lite version). I don't know whether he used the lite or regular version though.

There appears to be many programs that do what you want to do... most of them appear to be shareware though.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Here is the goal.
    1. Get streaming audio of my brother in law's favorite home town country radios station - complete with commercials. I have the feed.

2. Copy the files to WMF and burn to CD. I don't yet have a component in WMP 9.0 that records streaming audio.

3. That way he can listen to the old home town radio station while he is serving his nation.

Any help is welcome. jordanb is there a linux tool for this?
    Have to hand it to you Guap....that's one of the best ideas I've ever heard to bring a bit of home to those overseas serving the country. Kudos to you!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Just say no to .mp3 ....

Registered
    Oct 2001

WOW

Originally posted by nerudite
    I've never used it myself... but a friend has used Audio Maestro to record a radio program for me. It appears to be free (at least the lite version). I don't know whether he used the lite or regular version though.

There appears to be many programs that do what you want to do... most of them appear to be shareware though.
    Hey, That freeware works great! Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: WOW

Originally posted by el Guapo
    Hey, That free ware works great! Thanks.
    No problem... glad it worked for you!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Help with legal desc. please.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Mar 2009, 9:16 AM
  2. Replies: 90
    Last post: 24 Apr 2006, 3:15 PM
  3. Your favorite PDA downloads
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0