Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Stamp dork chat

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Rem
    Its sounds like fun but I don't think it will be much of a Secret Santa if you recieve a parcel covered in Kangaroo stamps.
    oooh! oooh! oooh! [raising hand like a first grader] pick me! pick me! I would love to get a package with kangaroo stamps - but could you make it rugby stamps????

I'm in! As long as I can request that my secret santa use postage stamps not a meter.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The Kangaroo stamps are a myth!

In reality, REM's package will probably be covered in Sydney Funnel Web spider, Millennium Train and Paul Hogan stamps.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Dan
    The Kangaroo stamps are a myth!

In reality, REM's package will probably be covered in Sydney Funnel Web spider, Millennium Train and Paul Hogan stamps.
    But I like these ones:

or these:

Heck, anything is better than:

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jmf

Heck, anything is better than:
    Hey... Canada has those new round astronaut stamps that were pretty groovy. Plus, I never even knew that there were astronauts up here. Too bad the stamps take up half of an envelope.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella
    Once the price range is set, I suggest that the gifts have some sort of unique or local flavor from the Secret Santa's hometown.......something that the recipient can't get from just anywhere. Santa is only a secret until you receive the gift anyway, right?
    So that leaves out going to Wal*Mart and picking some good stuff up, right?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The US may have ugly paper money, but we've got the coolest stamps in the world, IMHO.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah... US stamps are cool (boy has this gone off topic or what?) But... I wanted to share the stamp of my great-great aunt...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Nerudite, don't forget our common relative.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Wow, I can't believe I started a discussion, albeit off-topic, on stamps! There is this guy Czeslaw Slania who has engraved over 1000 stamps for various countries - some of his are my favorites:

and many more

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    American running dog coward capitalists bow down to the powerful stamps of the Great Leader!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    can we add the rule that the gift has to be sent with cool stamps?

And side note i donno what something thinks I can pick up for them for 10 bucks in DC that is horribly tacky. DC and other metro areas are costly 10 bucks does not go far.
    That's fine. It's the thought that counts I suppose. Besides, there's nothing wrong wih a little house tack....I'm sending whomever I get a Dale Earndhart calander.

How about we set the base but you can spend anyting you want to above that.

Oh, and the idea of gifts with regional flavor sounds great.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Some stamps are just plain goofy:

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hey... not all stamps are dorky... on December 1st St. Vincent and the Grenadines issued Playboy Cover stamps for its 50th Anniversary.

Nice post, Nerudite!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    looking at these stamps, especially the u.s. ones, I noticed quite a variety of postage values. I can just remember there being a big fuss when it went from 25 to 27 cents. Now it seems like they raise it every year. Thieving postal service. (sorry federal government).
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is interesting to see the changes in postal rates. One thing that has fascinated me recently is the time it used to take for letters to get to the destination.

A friend has an old envelope (circa turn of the previous century) which was mailed in a small town in Cape Breton on one day and it arrived in Boston late the next day. Granted the timing was just right combining land, railway and sea routes. Still pretty amazing.

In England they had twice a day mail delivery for a long time. People had conversations in letters - exchanging four letters a day!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by jmf
    In England they had twice a day mail delivery for a long time. People had conversations in letters - exchanging four letters a day!
    As far as I know, some of my relatives still get twice daily mail, and one delivery on Saturday.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    As far as I know, some of my relatives still get twice daily mail, and one delivery on Saturday.
    We get Saturday delivery in the States. I still check my mail up here on Saturdays out of habit. Originally it really drove me nuts that we didn't get Saturday mail up here... but I'm getting used it now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Subdivision Postage stamp lots
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 Jul 2007, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 12:07 AM
  3. Missing Time Stamp
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Nov 2003, 11:59 AM