Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Post Your Heart-Warming Holiday Stories Here

Registered
    Oct 2001

Post Your Heart-Warming Holiday Stories Here

I thought this one was nice.
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/15/off....ap/index.html

The stories can be from the news, or your own personal stories.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm sure there are hundreds of similar stories such as this one. It's very touching.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Very nice! Thanks to the troops for everything that they do to protect our freedom in America!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Right before Christmas I was rushing around trying to get some last minute shopping done. I was stressed out and not thinking very fondly of the Christmas season right then. It was dark, cold, and wet in the parking lot as I was loading my car up with gifts that I felt obligated to buy. I noticed that I was missing a receipt that I might need later. So mumbling under my breath, I retraced my steps to the mall entrance.

As I was searching the wet pavement for the lost receipt, I heard a quiet sobbing. The crying was coming from a poorly dressed boy of about 12 years old. He was short and thin. He had no coat. He was just wearing a ragged flannel shirt to protect him from the cold night's chill. Oddly enough, he was holding a hundred dollar bill in his hand. Thinking that he had gotten lost from his parents, I asked him what was wrong. He told me his sad story.

He said that he came from a large family. He had three brothers and four sisters. His father had died when he was nine years old. His mother was poorly educated and worked two full time jobs. She made very little to support her large family. Nevertheless, she had managed to skimp and save two hundred dollars to buy her children Christmas presents. The young boy had been dropped off, by his mother, on the way to her second job. He was to use the money to buy presents for all his siblings and save just enough to take the bus home. He had not even entered the mall, when an older boy grabbed one of the hundred dollar bills and disappeared into the night.

"Why didn't you scream for help?" I asked. The boy said, "I did." "And nobody came to help you?" I queried. The boy stared at the sidewalk and sadly shook his head. "How loud did you scream?" I inquired. The soft-spoken boy looked up and meekly whispered, "Help me!"

I realized that absolutely no one could have heard that poor boy cry for help. So, of course, I grabbed his other hundred and took off for my car...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My dad died 8 years ago this coming February. He loved roses and, until impaired by a series of strokes, always grew a few rosebushes he could see from the dining room. Last year, my brother and I convinced Mom to sell the townhouse they had built 25 years ago. She moved into a beautiful old home around the corner from me. There were 2 old, decrepit rose bushes out back, just under the family room windows.

Last Christmas Eve, it was raining and a little chilly, and Mom came over for Christmas Eve dinner and a ride with us to see Christmas lights. She had been in her new house almost 8 months and those poor scraggly roses had not bloomed. She said that before she left to come to our house, she had looked out back and the tiniest rose bloom was just starting to show. Those bushes have been blooming like crazy ever since and she is sure it's a message from my dad, that it was good for her to sell their home and move here.

Registered
    Aug 2001

I found my birth father!

I remember the day fondly. I got the call. When I walked in the door I was stunned by the resemblance. He was at work when I found him...

*Work Safe*

EDIT: Sorry if it offends. Im just warped I guess. I cant stop replaying it and giggling.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: I found my birth father!

Originally posted by Chet
    I remember the day fondly. I got the call. When I walked in the door I was stunned by the resemblance. He was at work when I found him...

*Work Safe*
    Off-topic:

I have some bad news about your Daddy Chet. There has been an accident and all your future siblings were killed. I'm so sorry.

Word is the mop got them.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    LMAO
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have had a Christmas Miracle this year, as of yesterday.

I said recently that "all I want for Christmas is for my sleep to be straightened out -- can you put that under my tree"? Yesterday, I threw out my king-sized bed that friends told me weeks ago would have to go or I would never resolve the mildew problem in my bedroom. I slept ever so much better on a blanket on the floor of my office than I have slept in a long time. I expect my health to improve dramatically.

My husband is out of town. He was supposed to come home for Christmas and may not now. Whether he does or not, he is likely to be gone until the end of March. Any suggestions on how I can break the news to him that we no longer have a bed to sleep in when he comes back? lol.

Come to think of it, I slept "under the Christmas tree" last night. lol. So my wish was granted completely, it seems. <wink, wink>

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I just heard that the Chilean Post Office is doing a campaign, in which in the major offices they have (poor) kids letters to Santa...and they encourage you to send the kids some gift....

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    I realized that absolutely no one could have heard that poor boy cry for help. So, of course, I grabbed his other hundred and took off for my car...
    LMFAO, thats really cold....

EG lay off the herman man, it was only natural for what took place in that Sarasota theater....

-Here's my x-mas story of the day, and for everyday for that matter. I'm standing out side and somebody ask if they can have some change to get some food, bus-fare, etc. I say no, I don't have any change and either they keep on moving or they have something pleasant to add to my response. One guy goes, "where's your holiday spirit!" and I reply with the holiday spirit, "here it is" and I then chuck a handful of change into the street and say "now go get run over by traffic you............."

I love people
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Any suggestions on how I can break the news to him that we no longer have a bed to sleep in when he comes back?
    Dear, if you perform the "my man is home from war" ceremony correctly he won't even notice for a week.

<wink, wink>

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yesterday, I threw out my king-sized bed that friends told me weeks ago would have to go or I would never resolve the mildew problem in my bedroom.

UMMM....Do we really want to know why your matress stays moist?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Any suggestions on how I can break the news to him that we no longer have a bed to sleep in when he comes back? lol.
    I like eG's suggestion but you could always do what my wife would do. Just tell him that he told you to get rid of it while he was away - if he's forgotten it must be his fault and he never listens when .........

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Yes, Rem, I like eG's suggestion too. But it is not likely to happen. If I could get Mr. Zone's undivided attention for an entire week, we likely wouldn't have agreed to make some minor changes to our marital contract. For example, we have agreed to strike the clause that says "Until death do us part" and replace it with "Until I can afford to support myself and two kids (with the help of alimony and child support, Of Course)".

In light of that, it seems extremely funny to me that I have thrown out our "marriage bed" and I expect to replace it with the single bed in my shed that I am in the process of painting white. It seems like a good omen of things to come: a clean start in a single bed, that I am "making" myself (well, painting myself, at least). We have even been handed a Trial Separation on a silver platter. I completely did not expect this lengthy TDY trip of his that got assigned on short notice -- it has been years since we were apart this long.

But, Shhhh. Don't tell a soul. My extreme introvert husband would like to keep this hush hush. In deference to his wishes, I have hardly told anyone in the 16 months since we made The Decision -- Just a few dozen of my closest friends. So, this is just between you and me. Okay?
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 18 Dec 2003 at 8:06 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. No Ocean Warming
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 9:38 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Nov 2006, 8:30 AM
  3. Quick Warming in the Arctic
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 9:22 AM