Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Quityourbitching

Registered
    Oct 2001

Quityourbitching

...Maybe you remember Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich's famous prediction in the late 1960s that by now America would be so near starvation that we'd have food riots. The reality is exactly the opposite. We have shopping riots. Instead of panicking as the ultimate necessity of life grows so expensive that no one can afford it, Americans flip out because a product absolutely no one needs is available at a price so low that even a year ago no one would have believed it possible. Food, if anyone still cares, takes a lower proportion of our income than ever before...
    http://www.fortune.com/fortune/value...0.html?cnn=yes

Yeah, I'd agree with most of his observations.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    But why does not the price of beer go down?

I basically agree with everything Colvin has to say. Often I look at myself in a shameful self loathing disgust at the amount of complaining I do, or how I should be eating less food and that food should be way healthier, like stuff bought at the lesbian organic co-op (to paraphrase EG). I think it's important for people to stay connected to agriculture in any way possible. Yes, I own a tv, that's 1, one, uno and usually I'll watch C-SPAN but I'm no stranger to The Simpsons ,HBO and the occasional nightly news. I think tv is hurting the US.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by The Irish One
    I think tv is hurting the US.
    Agreed! While TV is not in itself bad, people don't watch it the same way. Maybe it is a sign of the times, but seems more and more like people tend to beleive whatever propaganda the TV is selling. "I saw it on the news so it must be true." Really? Are critical thinking and analysis mutually exclusive of television viewing these days?

Moderation. I watch about 8 hours of TV per week. Tivo has helped reduce time in front of the TV. I rarely watch a show live anymore. I hate wasting 1 hour to see 40 minutes (if that) of programming. I think Friends episodes now have like 2 minutes of show. I can't beleive that SUV's and these new SUV/Minivans, need TV/Movie viewing in the backseat. I was on the freeway last night, and the screen in the back of one of these things was so big (10"-14" at least) I could see the program. What is so bad about kids being engaged in the world around them and talking to your kids?

OT: Food is unbelievably cheap. The idea that our ancestors' lives revolved around putting food on the table seems almost laughable now.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by ludes98
    Agreed! While TV is not in itself bad, people don't watch it the same way. Maybe it is a sign of the times, but seems more and more like people tend to beleive whatever propaganda the TV is selling. "I saw it on the news so it must be true." Really? Are critical thinking and analysis mutually exclusive of television viewing these days?
    Not only that, but TV watching takes up an awful lot of peoples waking hours - hours when they could be doing anything more enriching than staring at trash all night long. And the advertising (explicit and implicit - via the shows) is getting so bad these days - I'm just waiting for an ad that says flat out "YOU WILL BE RIDICULED, SCORNED, AND CAST OFF IF YOU DON'T BUY OUR CHINESE-MADE PLASTIC TRINKET. PEOPLE WILL FIND YOU DULL AND UNATTRACTIVE (SEXUALLY) IF YOU MISS THIS DEAL! YOU ARE A COMPLETE MORON IF YOU DON'T BUY THIS RIGHT NOW!" - talk about propoganda! You have to drive an SUV and buy clothes from A&F and have all the latest electronic gadgetry to be "with it".

Recently, I heard TV compared to an opiate, and I have to say that I agree - damn, its addictive, and it really soothes the nerves after a hard day and puts you into this nice tranquil brain-dead sort of trance...!

Sorry to get off the original topic.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I watch maybe two-three hours of TV per week. Utterly useless generally. I refuse to pay the Cable Company for their junk.

However, my virtue is reduced by the five-to-ten hours I spend surfing trash on the web (I'm not counting Cyburbia. That's "work-related" )

Not only that, but TV watching takes up an awful lot of peoples waking hours - hours when they could be doing anything more enriching than staring at trash all night long.
    This is really where I think we're dumbing ourselves, with all that time one could learn a new skill, have more family time -the opportunities are endless, especially in the US where information and people with know how aren't that hard to come by. It's my own vision/ outrageous opinion but, I'd like to see our culture take a turn towards the industrious side rather than the spectator side that it's increasingly becoming. Being in the middle or lower middle class is tough and a lot of your time gets swallowed up in the commute and akward working hours so in general I think people try their best with what they've got.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Quityourbitching

Originally posted by el Guapo
    Yeah, I'd agree with most of his observations.
    Is this your Liberal Guilt side showing, el Guapo?!

Registered
    May 2003

Self Aggrandizement: A National Pastime?

I think Colvin's point is a legitimate one and I'll cite another source in support. This is from an excellent series published in Denver's Rocky Mountain News:

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Scenes from a war.

"Life here is one which you cannot, and likely will never, know. At some point today, go find a quiet corner somewhere and offer sincere thanks you live the life you do. Trust me."

The full series can be accessed at:
    [URL=http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_2500391,00.html]

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Re: Quityourbitching

Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Is this your Liberal Guilt side showing, el Guapo?!
    No, its my inner Calvinist...wishing to burn the unbelievers!

Well, I'm certainly not Paris Hilton.

This is what I was trying to say in my Christmas Thread. And just as I predicted, I have heard nothing but Christmas shopping stories on TV (that is before I reach for the remote to turn it off).

They have a term for all this: Affluenza

+ Reply to thread