Urban planning community

Poll results: Sao Paulo or Highlands Ranch?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sao Paulo

6 85.71%
  • Highlands Ranch

1 14.29%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sao Paulo vs Highlands Ranch

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Sao Paulo vs Highlands Ranch

Sao Paulo

Highlands Ranch

Pick one.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Hmmm, tough choice. Especially making it from just the photos.

I think I'd have to go for Sao Paolo. It may be high density highrise (which is considered better by city environmentalists) but at least there's going to be a reasonable amount of entertainment/things to do and ok public transport provided the city's making the investment. Whereas Highland's Ranch looks like an over large, very low density housing estate where everybody likes to pretend they're really living in the countryside and the only reasonable form of transport is the car (and I don't drive).

Unfortunately, they both look pretty scary to me.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Journeymouse wrote:
    Unfortunately, they both look pretty scary to me.
    To explain myself a bit, here's an aerial photo of where I grew up. My (ex-) home is the lower of the two buildings in the middle... I don't know what scale the picture is (after resizing) but the walk from the house to the village was about 5 minutes or about 1/4 mile

Oops!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Sao Paolo. I'm definitely with Jo on this one. I do drive, just not mindfully which would explain how I've gotten into 4 major accidents in 2 years (totalling two of our vehicles). So I would much rather have the higher density and all the nice amenities that go with.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Highlands. Sorry.

I'd really prefer a house on about 100 acres in those foothills I see. My current home is the one in the upper right corner of the aerial photo. The city is closing in on me from the west, but my 'yard' extends all the way to the edges of the photo, south and west (about 2400 x 3400 feet).

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Michael - I don't think you get your own 100 acres. If that was the case, then I'd be with you. I think you have to live in the subdivision. Would your choice be the same in that case?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ouch. Yeah, I guess I could still get in a few gardens for some flowers and fresh veggies in the Highlands.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Sorry for the rerun, but ...

The house I grew up in. Mom, Dad, me and the dog, 1,900 square feet (850 finished; the rest unfinished attic), 3,850 square foot lot.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The house I live in now. Me and the dog, 1,970 square feet, 12,000 square foot lot.

I'm sorry, Gaia.

I'm trying to make up for my living in an unsustainable environment by planting lots of trees. When I moved in, there was already a huge sycamore, a good-sized laurel ork and a couple of crape myrtles. I added two queen palms, one majestic palm, seven more crape myrtles, a cherry laurel, a hibiscus tree, two red maples, and an orange tree. The dead St. Augustine turf in the back yard is being replaced by less thirsty centipede turf; the front, though, still has a healthy suburban kick-butt Palmetto St. Augustine lawn. Hopefully my contribution of oxygen to the atmosphere will make up a little for the pollution I'll contribute by driving everywhere.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Does this mean you will be my neighbor in the Highlands?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Michael Stumpf wrote:
    Does this mean you will be my neighbor in the Highlands?
    When I was a Denverite, and doing the happy house hunt, I almost plunked my hard earned dollars on a 3/2 in Highlands Ranch -- I was frustrated that I couldn't find anything affordable in Denver proper. I finally stumbled on a decent, but small house on a lot a couple of miles from downtown Denver. The lot was about the same size as those in newer parts of Highlands Ranch -- about 4,500 square feet. Alley, grid, walking distance to two pedestrian-oriented business districts (one yuppified, one just beginning to come under the influence of the smooth jazz crowd).

Sao Paulo versus Highlands Ranch -- it's so unplanner-like of me to say this, but gimme' the Centex spec home, the yard, and the two car garage. West Highlands, Denver versus Highlands Ranch, Douglas County -- I'll take the city, thanks.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Hmm... ok, here are my stipulations on living in Sao Paolo - good schools and safe neighborhood - I don't want to have to supervise my (future) 8 year old to, at and from the nearest park. And there has to be room on the roof top for my (container) garden.

KMateja wrote:
    Hmm... ok, here are my stipulations on living in Sao Paolo - good schools and safe neighborhood - I don't want to have to supervise my (future) 8 year old to, at and from the nearest park. And there has to be room on the roof top for my (container) garden.
    I agree, athough my children are even more hypothetical than that <grin> Anything more than that and I'd start to look wild-eyed and panicky, never mind my current 'partner'! And I won't go into entertainment and fitness demands.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Take Sao Paulo, get the density down to 3-4 dwelling units per acre, create more yards and open space, maybe in a gated community, reduce traffic congestion by building wider roads, put a supermarket and Walmart within a couple miles, and you could have a nice place. Provided there is a good set of homeowner convenants and an association to enforce them.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Gimme that countryside!

I'm sorry - but I can't stand being in a large city. All the noise and chaos drives me nuts. If it were not for family Id be living in NW Wyoming or Idaho. No religious fundamentalist or white suppremist beliefs are implied by my geographic leanings. I just like a low population density and critters to hunt. I know this is an anthemia to planners so there it is Im out of the closet.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Re: Gimme that countryside!

El Guapo wrote:
    so there it is Im out of the closet.
    That's okay El Guapo - we kinda suspected all along.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 13 Sep 2007, 1:31 PM
  2. Highlands Ranch at 25: smart or sprawl?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Aug 2006, 8:30 PM
  3. Highlands, NC (no 56k)
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Jun 2006, 2:16 PM
  4. Sao Paulo Redux
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jun 2005, 2:24 PM
  5. Issaquah Highlands