Urban planning community

Poll results: To Extend the Warranty or Not?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's well worth the expense.

1 5.00%
  • No, what a waste.

17 85.00%
  • Other - explained below

2 10.00%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Extended Warranties

Registered
    Dec 1998

Extended Warranties

Are Extended Warranties Worth the Expense?

My vehicle, purchased in 2001, is approaching 32,000 miles (yes I commute quite a distance). The warranty is the standard 3-year, 36,000 bumper-bumper type. Now that the miles are getting up there and repairs are needed, I'm wondering if I should extend the warranty or not.

What does the Throbbing Brain of Cyburbia (tm) think?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    It depends on how long you decide to keep that vehicle. How long do you wish to keep that vehicle?
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Big Easy King
    It depends on how long you decide to keep that vehicle. How long do you wish to keep that vehicle?
    Just a thought, but haven't you two talked about this off-cyburbia?
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Time of sale is the best time for extended warranty purchase. When the factory warranty is about to expire, cost effectiveness is lower, and price are always higher. If you plan on keeping the car, go for it. I have owned my current vehicle for 103,000 miles and purchased the extended warranty (for 75K) when I bought it. Still going, and no it isn't Japanese.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, I did not buy the extended warranty for my Subaru. Since I drive far more than I should, I am now past the standard warranty.

Guess what, the ari conditioner is no longer working.

Grrrrrrrr. I guess even Japanese-owned factories produce problems.

I bought it when I bought my used Accord in 2002. It extended it to 100,000 miles for $600 bucks. I have had 2 things go wrong that would have cost over 1,000 to fix, so it was worth it. The way I feel about it is that it is worth 600 for piece of mind.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    [jordanb]

I don't own a car so this doesn't apply to me.

[/jordanb]
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Oct 2001
    But it could apply to jordanb's ultra high tech Mac G-4 (Just an assumption here)

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Extended Warranties

Originally posted by Planderella
    Are Extended Warranties Worth the Expense?

My vehicle, purchased in 2001, is approaching 32,000 miles (yes I commute quite a distance). The warranty is the standard 3-year, 36,000 bumper-bumper type. Now that the miles are getting up there and repairs are needed, I'm wondering if I should extend the warranty or not.

What does the Throbbing Brain of Cyburbia (tm) think?
    1. What does the warranty cover?
    2. What is the make of the car? Hundai or Mercedes...there is a huge difference in reliability.
    3. What is the chance that you'll dump the car in the time the warranty will be active?
    4. Do you have a strong man in your life that can expedite repairs and trash talk car dealers in to cutting you a break?
    5. Are you keeping up on fluids and required maintenance? Miss one oil change and they don't back the extended warranty.
    6. Your car, even if it is a GM product, should last you - without any MAJOR repair - at least 150,000 miles if you warm up the engine every time you start it, change the oil and fluids religiously and get all mechanical and electrical issues checked right away.

my 2 cents

Registered
    Dec 2001
    If you use it once it pays for itself. I bought it and never used it. Good thing and bad I guess?

Registered
    May 2002
    This is a good site for info about auto warranties: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

IMHO you should never buy a warranty from the dealer unless you get a significant reduction in cost, like 50% off. The online services are just as good and much cheaper.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I have been brain washed by my father never to buy the extended warranty on anything. So far I never have had it be a major problem. If I do run into a problem and must pay for a new something I will still come out ahead with all the money I have saved over the years of not buying warranties (and this is the point he has made to me for years.)

Plus anytime something has a warranty it with out fail seems that the particular piece that breaks is not covered by that particular warranty. :-P
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by H
    I have been brain washed by my father never to buy the extended warranty on anything. So far I never have had it be a major problem. If I do run into a problem and must pay for a new something I will still come out ahead with all the money I have saved over the years of not buying warranties (and this is the point he has made to me for years.)

Plus anytime something has a warranty it with out fail seems that the particular piece that breaks is not covered by that particular warranty. :-P
    Ditto, once again.

My Dad also drilled it into my head that buying the extended warranty was often a waste of money. He always said that as long as you keep something of quality maintained it shoud last for a long time. The only time I puchased an extended warranty was on a car stereo and, wouldn't you know it, when something did go wrong it wasn't covered.
    Last edited by biscuit; 19 Dec 2003 at 11:03 AM.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    There is an appliance/electronics store in Canada that is notorious for pushing (and I mean PUSHING) extended warranties. When buying the appliances for our new house I flatly refused to purchase them - the salesperson kept trying to sweeten the deal so that I would take the warranties. IMHO, they're not worth the extra money.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I only weighed in on vehicle warranties since that was what the original post was about. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time or driving the hell out of it, then get the warranty. I have put 40K a year on a vehicle. It was worth it to have coverage that lasted more than a year. I have also used the warranty on every car I have ever owned including GM, Honda, and Toyota.

As far as warranties on other products I never buy them unless the product is generally a piece of crap and I know it before I buy it. Bubble jet printers are a good example. I have gotten 2 free replacements because they are not made well and break alot. I have never had a problem with my laser. Qualtiy is a factor in whatever product you buy.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    As a former car salseman (while trying to find my first job) I can say the warranty can give you some peace of mind, if you read the fine print. Some are good, and some are bad. But all of them make the dealer and salesman a lot of money. I could make $100 on the "back end" when I sold an extended warranty.

A 2001 with only 31,000 miles is good. Any car with that low of miles and a 2001 should not need repairs (even if it's a Chevy...sorry Chevy owners) even brakes should still be good, which are not usually covered under a warranty, as well as tires, etc.

95% of all cars will run a long time if well taken care of and not abused.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I bought one on my Durango that had 30k miles.

But, I knew from the test drive (and some reading on the problems of the particular model), that the ball joints would need to be replaced.

A month after I bought it, I had a $900 job done for the $100 deductible, I also had a water pump replaced at $300, so for the $250 warranty and the $200 in deductibles... I had $1200 in repairs done.

So mine was worth it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    So mine was worth it.
    Whats what you get for buying American errrrr..... German.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Now, now Chet. The Daimler-Chrysler merger was a "marriage of equals."

Of course, what I've read is that Mercedes quality is beginning to lag seriously behind other luxury makers (the M-Class is a notoriously buggy SUV, sorry Alabamans), So, AMERICA has had the last laugh

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS SFSU extended learning GIS program
    Information Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Aug 2011, 2:20 AM
  2. Uses Extended stay hotel regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Jul 2011, 4:44 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 02 Sep 2004, 9:49 AM