Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Lord of the Rings humor:

Registered
    Jun 2003

Lord of the Rings humor:

With all the geeks here(sorry geeks), I'm surprised there hasn't been talk of the latest release. No matter. It's proably better anyways. I saw it. It was good. Real good. This is more the FAC style though. I can't take credit for any of these. I'm just not that creative.

1. Stand up halfway through the movie and yell loudly, "Wait...where the hell is Harry Potter?"
    2. Block the entrance to the theater while screaming, "YOU.....SHALL....NOT..... PASS!" - After the movie, say "Lucas could have done it better."
    3. Play a drinking game where you have to take a sip every time someone says, "the Ring."
    4. Point and laugh whenever someone dies.
    5. Ask everyone around you if they think Gandalf went to Hogwarts.
    6. Finish off every one of Elrond's lines with "Mis..ter Ander-sonnn."
    7. When Aragorn is crowned king, stand up and at the top of your lungs sing, "And I did it.... MY way...!"
    8. Talk like Gollum all through the movie. At the end, bite off someone's finger and fall down the stairs.
    9. Dress up as old ladies and reenact "The Battle of Helms Deep," Monty Python style.
    10. When Denethor lights the fire, shout "Barbecue!"
    11. In TTT when the Ents decide to march to war, stand up and shout, "RUN FOREST, RUN!"
    12. Every time someone kills an Orc, yell: "That's what I'm Tolkien about!" See how long it takes before you get kicked out of the theatre.
    13. During a wide shot of a battle, inquire, "Where's Waldo?"
    14. Talk loudly about how you heard that there is a single frame of a nude Elf hidden somewhere in the movie.
    15. Start an Orc sing-a-long.
    16. Come to the premiere dressed as Frankenfurter and wander around looking terribly confused.
    17 When they go in the paths of the dead, wait for a tense moment and shout, "I see dead people!"
    18. Imitate what you think a conversation between Gollum, Dobby and Yoda would be like.
    19. Release a jar of daddy-long-legs into the theater during the Shelob scene.
    20. Wonder out loud if Aragorn is going to run for governor of California.
    21. When Shelob comes on, exclaim, "Man!Charlotte's really let herself go!"
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    May 2003
    LMTAO!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yeah, almost as funny as THIS. Beware dialuppers, its long. But those with a fast connection, worth it.

This'll give you a clue.
    You're more boring than you know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    martini You've made my day! LMAO!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Oh that is good... I am going to e-mail that to a few people in the office. About 10 of us are going to see it tonight, *I am not a fan of the first two, but being the new guy, I am still trying to bond with co-workers.*
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    martini You've made my day! LMAO!
    DITTO!
    Thank you Martini!
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    LOTR doesn't open in Oz until Boxing Day (26/12). My wife leads the charge as a fan in our household so we are planning a family visit to the cinema for her birthday on January 2. Can anyone who has seen it tell me whether they think it is too scary for our 10 year old daughter. She coped with episode 1 & 2 on DVD but it doesn't have the same presence on the theatre.

Registered
    Nov 2001

LOTR Humor??

Can a mod just append this thread to Dan's "How much of a geek area you" thread??
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I saw it yesterday, who in their right mind would bring 4,5 and 6 years olds to a three hour movie tha ispretty intense. I can't remmebr teh number of times I heard, mommy is he dead, followed by tears.

The only thing I wanted to shout out is attached.(for number 7 on the list)
    Last edited by donk; 22 Dec 2003 at 7:52 AM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    22. Every time Sean Astin is faced with some sort of challenge, chant "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy..."
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

22. Every time Sean Astin is faced with some sort of challenge, chant "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy..."
    That would be great! I saw the movie, I like it, I'm a dork.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Run Forest Run! Too funny!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Rem
    LOTR doesn't open in Oz until Boxing Day (26/12). My wife leads the charge as a fan in our household so we are planning a family visit to the cinema for her birthday on January 2. Can anyone who has seen it tell me whether they think it is too scary for our 10 year old daughter. She coped with episode 1 & 2 on DVD but it doesn't have the same presence on the theatre.
    Rem, I just got back from seeing it. Hubby did, in fact, come home for Christmas. Our teenaged sons opted out and me and Mr. Uber-geek went without them. I am glad we did. Hubby was saying he felt the movie emphasized the gloom and doom stuff more than the 3rd book actually did. It is quite intense. Being the emotional type (and daughter of a career soldier and married to a career soldier) I cried through some of the movie. (Quietly and discretely, without disturbing others, okay? So get off my back!!)

The screaching of the nasty things the Nazgul ride is horrid. If you haven't read the books, much of the movie might be very hard to take. The death of the Witch King is also a "bring your ear plugs" type event, managing to surpass the dreadful screaching of the beasties that the Nazgul ride. I wouldn't hesitate to do the DVD version after you have seen the movie and can warn your daughter of anything you think she will have trouble with. That was how we handled movies like Jurassic Park when the kids were little but wanted to see them anyway: we prescreened, got the tape, and paused it before difficult scenes to warn them what was coming up.

I am really glad my 14 and 16 year old sons did not go. I feel emotionally drained. And we did take them to both of the first two movies at the theater and now own them on DVD. And their UberGeek father read The Hobbit and LOTR outloud to them when they were quite young. (I know because he had already read The Hobbit to them when our youngest son began reading it on it his own at age 7. It took him an entire year to plod through it.) If your daughter has not read LOTR herself and is not just the biggest Tolkein fan on planet earth, spare yourself the need to put her in therapy. This movie is much harder to watch than the first two, IMO.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Rem, ..... If your daughter has not read LOTR herself and is not just the biggest Tolkein fan on planet earth, spare yourself the need to put her in therapy. This movie is much harder to watch than the first two, IMO.
    Thanks for the feedback MZ - it will be most helpful when I am negotiating with the kids about who can and can't attend before mum and dad have checked it out.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by steveanne
    Run Forest Run! Too funny!
    That was my favorite too.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Rem
    Thanks for the feedback MZ - it will be most helpful when I am negotiating with the kids about who can and can't attend before mum and dad have checked it out.
    Coincidentally, I spoke by phone with my sister a little while ago. She has not seen it yet either. My conversation with her reminded me that I was unphazed by the scenes in LOTR2 where they drag away the teenaged sons from their crying moms and arm them for battle. My sister found that heart-wrenching and spoke of how close in age my sons were to the kids depicted in the scenes and speculated on how much that must have gotten to me. Last year, I politely refrained from telling her what a big baby I thought she was, because it didn't bother me. But I did cry through parts of this movie.

So when I say I reacted that way partly due to being married to a soldier and the daughter of a soldier, please understand that in context: much of the grim reality of war is not news to me and does not upset me. It is a price I have lived with a deep awareness of all my life. What made me cry was the enormous odds the good guys are up against and the enormous cost it takes to overcome it: it is a war fought with a great sense of desperation. In that respect, this movie very much portrays the way WWII was won -- something that seems to be largely "forgotten" by our collective subconscious. We seem to remember it as: We won. All's well that ends well. But the "good guys" were the underdogs for much of WWII and things were very grim. This movie portrays what it is like to keep going and do the right thing in the face of your own doom and similar hard-to-take psychological realities of war.

In other words: yeah, I would advocate for leaving the kids at home and letting them see the DVD later.

One 19-23 yr. old ripped a fart during an emotional moment at the end, what an ass. The guy behind me kept asking his girl friend if Mary and Pippin were gay, as well as Sam and Frodo. The guy in front of me kept explaining things to friends and while I couldn't hear his voice the constant moving of his head was a complete distraction.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Saw the movie the other night. A little overdone, but good.

6. Finish off every one of Elrond's lines with "Mis..ter Ander-sonnn."
    I was tempted to do this! I have seen Hugo in a few other movies and I am forever stuck with his voice saying that in my head.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    after seeing TTT a few times, when seeing it with friends (who haven't seen it), i have actually done the "missster andersssson" after elrond's lines.... the seventh time they hit me.

the funnest thing i did (and the one i enjoyed doing the most), although now it's kind of a moot point:

i walked out of an opening day showing of ROTK, and as i passed by the huge lines of people waiting to get into the next showing i yelled out, "geez, that movie SUCKED!!!!"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Coincidentally, I spoke by phone with my sister a little while ago......
    MZ thanks for the update and for taking the time to respond to my request. We are going tonight sans kids. If we conclude it is kid safe for any one or all of them, one of us will go again (probably Mrs Rem - she is the real fan).

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Saw it last nght and I think it is kid safe for the 13 yo and the 11 yo (she is 12 on 7 January) - in case anyone is interested. The 10 yo will have to wait for the DVD.

I think the things that would make it unsuitable aren't so much the death scenes but some of the battle scenes where animals are used in battle (especially the Mumakil - elephant type creatures), the ghost army and the callousness (due to insanity) of the Steward of Gondor. There are some scary moments also which might upset her and of course, at over 3 hours for the whole movie session it is a big ask for someone who normally has to move every 19 seconds on average.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 39
    Last post: 18 Jun 2014, 9:54 PM
  2. lord
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 8:20 AM
  3. Replies: 80
    Last post: 14 Jan 2007, 9:12 PM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last post: 28 Mar 2005, 2:43 PM