Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terror Levels, Do you believe it?

Registered
    Dec 2003

Terror Levels, Do you believe it?

Saw this today and I still do not know what to believe due to the numerous times they've raised and lowered the level of this alert system.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/21/thr...vel/index.html

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said the move was the result of a "substantial increase" in the volume of intelligence pointing to "near-term attacks that could either rival or exceed what we experienced on September 11."
    -All I can say is, if it happens, it happens, lets not hinder our everyday lives by being afraid of the future. I know lets be pro-active rather than reactive, but this system is starting to get out of hand. I don't know, your thoughts.....
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

I definately believe the government, and I'm content with this system being wrong everytime Tom Ridge hightens the alert. The color scheme is goofy and it would be fine if Ridge got on the horn and did todays work without the color stuff, we'll get the message regardless. I don't think it's out of hand and being proactive is all the government can really do to inform and protect us without blowing their intelligence. Of course you're right, we can't let the fear of terrorism control us.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I pay it zero heed anymore, not that I ever did. Living in the DC area I face more risk on the Beltway.

NEXT!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Living, working and commuting in very rural areas has made me pay little attention to enhancing my awareness for anything unusual when the terror level is heightened.

Although I did joke with my wife this morning that I promised to look for anything unusual during my commute like front wheel drive vehicles or pickup trucks without gun racks!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    likewise, I don't pay much attention unless I'm traveling......NH is not a hotspot potential target IMHO.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Did anyone see Katie Couric interviewing Tom Ridge this morning? There's a difference between asking tough, probing questions and just being bitchy.

People like to make fun of the alerts but the point is to alert law enforcement and security to step it up a notch, not just to scare little old ladies. If nothing happens that's a good thing. It doesn't necessarily mean that the Man is out to manipulate you.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I hear the Mounties are going to have one or two more guys on horseback at the border, so I feel pretty safe.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    do you ever just think that they raise the alert for political gain? for example, W #'s arestill basking in Saddam's capture and what better way to keep his number up than to raise the alert and for nothing to happen to say "hey, we were vigillant! we didn't let those terroist sumnabitches get us!" those alerts do not change how i pull up at an emergency even though the guv'ment says that the alerts are for people like emergency responders. it just means that i cannot move freely in some places in L.A., NY

however, i don't believe that we had saddam in a hole for some time just waiting for the right time to "capture" him...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    likewise, I don't pay much attention unless I'm traveling......NH is not a hotspot potential target IMHO.
    ditto. I don't think north Idaho is either.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Originally posted by RichmondJake
    ditto. I don't think north Idaho is either.
    You mean that isn't where all that footage of Osama hiking the hills with his trusty AK47 has been shot?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Gedunker
    You mean that isn't where all that footage of Osama hiking the hills with his trusty AK47 has been shot?
    Haven't you seen pictures of Ruby Ridge? Many more trees here than Paki/Afgan boarder region.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

do you ever just think that they raise the alert for political gain?
    No, if these alerts could have any effect I see it as a negative economy and we all know bad economics makes bad politics, generally speaking. There is no useful reason for any administration to fudge these terror reports, though many may disagree, I honestly believe the one job the US government will try its hardest at is protecting its people.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't put much thought into it either. For the most part, through most of this largely rural country, I think it's used for a political gain, fearm mongering basically.

Geez, am I coming off like a conspiracy theorist? Sorry.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It would have more meaning to me if the news reported on the potential for ice of my back steps.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by otterpop
    It would have more meaning to me if the news reported on the potential for ice of my back steps.
    Ice Warning Level raised to High for possibility of ice forming on your back steps
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Haven't you seen pictures of Ruby Ridge? Many more trees here than Paki/Afgan boarder region.
    Of course you're right (I haven't had enough coffee this a.m.)
    Osama's footage was shot in New Mexico.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by The Irish One
    No, if these alerts could have any effect I see it as a negative economy and we all know bad economics makes bad politics, generally speaking. There is no useful reason for any administration to fudge these terror reports, though many may disagree, I honestly believe the one job the US government will try its hardest at is protecting its people.
    I agree, I don't think the govt. would do anything to keep people from Christmas shopping. Good holiday sales stats would help Bush. It makes perfect sense that Al Qaida would target us during our biggest holidays.

9/11 really did happen. Its not just a xenophobic conspiracy about "the other" trying to kill us. Do Bush's critics really want to give his foreign policy that much credit to think that Al Qaida is no longer a threat? We really do need to increase security when we pick up information. What would people say if there was another large terrorist attack and the govt didn't warn anyone after hearing info about an unspecific attack?

What would people say if there was another large terrorist attack and the govt didn't warn anyone after hearing info about an unspecific attack?
    Which reminds me why Tom Ridge has the suckiest job in the administration, he basically comes out to give a warning with graphics and hopes he's wrong and in general is perceived as useless. He's not useless, though I think the color chart could go and he could still do his job fine, if not better.

Registered
    May 2003
    Seabishop: hear, hear! You are dead-on right in both of your posts. TIO, same to you. Thanks for speaking out.

Registered
    Oct 2001

My answer-plus a dose of conspiracy theory!

I find the color system goofy (but what do you expect for a sub-literate population that watches 40 hours of television per week (oof. It's Monday. No more bad mood!!1))

Nonetheless, the Islamofascists ARE a threat. I liked the comparison that I read Al Qaeda=Khmer Rouge. The same kind of purist view of history, with a nasty twist of religion thrown in. This is one liberal who doesn't believe that if we just cuddled up to the Arab world everything would be peachy keen.

Do I let the terror alerts govern how I live? Not really. The reality is-further attackes will happen.

I just don't want to see such attacks justify things like Patriot Act II or the power to allow the President or Ashcroft to just decide you are an enemy combatant and have no citizenship rights.

I almost believe the conspiracy theories floating around that the Bush Administration was remiss pre-9-11 because they wanted to use what they thought would be minor attack to justify Iraq, Department of Homeland Security, and the whole range of policies.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: My answer-plus a dose of conspiracy theory!

Originally posted by BKM
    I almost believe the conspiracy theories floating around that the Bush Administration was remiss pre-9-11 because they wanted to use what they thought would be minor attack to justify Iraq, Department of Homeland Security, and the whole range of policies.
    I also still feel this way.. but wish I didn't.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

I almost believe the conspiracy theories floating around that the Bush Administration was remiss pre-9-11 because they wanted to use what they thought would be minor attack to justify Iraq, Department of Homeland Security, and the whole range of policies
    So, what stops you?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Queer eye for the straight "high"...

It's the colors... they just aren't hip.

If they used mauve, and puce, and even chartreuse, it would be much more pleasant.

I went and bought a bunch of plastic and duct tape... I know they must be targetting small towns in the Cascade Mountains by now.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Come to think of it... until now, when the Terror Alert is high again, I had never seen anything suspicious about my neighbors building secret labs in their back yards. I guess the U-235 they asked for must be arriving shortly.... I wonder if they're not in violation of any zoning laws

Registered
    Aug 2001
    the warnings do not have an effect b/c as you watch the media, they just show people saying that it does not affect them anbd they are going about thier business as usual. so i disagree with the negative economic impact. besides, this administration has seen worse economic days, so a dip in the dow today won't hurt anyone a la enron.

i wish i had ridge's job: go to work everyday and when you are wrong, you're doing a good job.

the warnning system does need a touch of the fab five. don't be afraid of fur or stripes. basic colors are out for 2004.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. War on Terror: The Lighter Side!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 May 2004, 11:26 PM
  2. Cyburbia terror threat lowered
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Jan 2004, 7:03 PM
  3. Impending Terror Attack