Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Going a little too far?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Up Against the Wall, Curious Boy!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

Yep, now the nerdly and curious once again come under the suspicion of Big Brother. (Last time is was our reading habits at our local public library) How will we ever know when to plant our corn, how to remove chocolate from silk, or what 16.5ml is in Imperial units? Wanna know when the sun rises on the opening day of black powder turkey season in Pennsylvania? Well if your an A-rab, you'll find out by watching it rise yourself in your orange jumpsuit from your cell at GitMo!

God (Allah) help us if you are a curious olive skined male.

A good citizen is a blissfully ignorant one....

Registered
    Dec 2003
    nothing surprises me anymore.lord knows anyone reading a book with information in it must be planning something. really if you look suspicious it shouldn't matter what you are holding - you should just be arrested and sent to an island until you confess your devious plans. oh wait, that already happens.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Going a little too far?

FBI Issues Alert Against Almanac Carriers

-Sometimes I wonder where they get this stuff from.....Are they crazy or am I the crazy one?

The FBI noted that use of almanacs or maps may be innocent, ``the product of legitimate recreational or commercial activities.'' But it warned that when combined with suspicious behavior - such as apparent surveillance - a person with an almanac ``may point to possible terrorist planning.''
    http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto...97.htm&sc=1110
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Merged by mod

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    geee what next? Mapquest, Mapserver and any internet map tool that has information about the US will be linked to terrorism? If so... I hope Guantanamo is a comfty place Oh, and I bet they're gonna need to expand it quite a lot...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Great... every engineer who comes into the office looking for a plat map will be slammed up against the wall and grilled by the FBI. Then again, why is that a bad thing?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hasn't anyone figured out that the most likely terrorist suspects are the people who are not doing anything suspicious? That guy driving an old pick-up and wearing overalls with a folded almanac in his pocket may be a farmer, but then again, may really be Osama himself! A library card may be an excuse for some first-grader to learn to read, but just as easily mean he is building hydrogen bombs with his Al Queda classmates during recess. If this country is ever to be safe we need to begin immediately rounding up people like those who have never received a parking ticket. Get On-star on your car and get a trip to Guantanamo. Buy batteries at the supermarket and have the FBI tap your phone. It makes perfect sense to me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    you know...maybe i should keep an almanac in my car with lots of post-its in it? see what happens, you know?

do you think that sports almanacs count too? perhaps spotting trends in sports to assist in the illegal wagering on pro sports to finance terrorist ops?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Great... every engineer who comes into the office looking for a plat map will be slammed up against the wall and grilled by the FBI. Then again, why is that a bad thing?
    ZG, I am so disappointed in you. What about offering to frisk them yourself (at least the cute ones)?

You are slipping. Insomnia again?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Merged by mod
    Thanks EG, they must be getting to me for my collection of maps.

Comic book guy beware
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    This is getting WAAAAY outta hand.

First they want to monitor library records

Next you will be finger printed and have to give your S.S. number at Barnes and Nobles or Borders books everytime you want to buy a reference book.

This Flippin administration is connecting anyting they can to terrorism in an effort to frighten all the stupid americans out there into thinking they are protecting them when in reality they are too naive to realize this administration is taking away every last civilright we have.

Hell you can't even take a fruit cake on the dang airplane anymore.

Whats next, are they going to take away our mechanical pencils because they have sharp points and they can be used as wepons.

[sigh] HUHHHH I feel a little better [sigh]

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm with Rumpy on this quote:

The FBI noted that use of almanacs or maps may be innocent, "the product of legitimate recreational or commercial activities." But it warned that when combined with suspicious behavior -- such as apparent surveillance -- a person with an almanac "may point to possible terrorist planning."
    I better leave the alamanc at the office when I do my site visit this morning!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Curses! Foiled again.
    And to think that I picked up a new almanac at the Mast Store over the weekend. The FBI could be be bugging my house this very instant. Now my plans of breeding a super potato of doom that self detonates according to the phases of the moon are ruined… Ruined!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Concealed carry will set you free!

Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    This is getting WAAAAY outta hand....Whats next, are they going to take away our mechanical pencils because they have sharp points and they can be used as wepons.
    PBD,
    Come over to the Dark Side™ where everyone who is anyone carries. Imagine a world where your fellow citizens took their, and your security seriously; a world where young kids would think twice before smarting off to an adult, a world where no one fears the hijacker, a world where people learn to drive correctly because they fear catching some lead, a world where polite people packed heat and talked respectfully amongst themselves. Why this young 80’s tart here could take out 10 Jihadist Martyrs on an Air France flight without changing magazines. If only...

Registered
    Jul 2002

bang

Boy, I hope that safety holds.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Sep 2001
    "Smart Carry"

I wonder what happens when crocodile dundee does a check?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002

almanac

At first I thought that this was an elaborate ruse; sort of an urban legend. It sure looks real, but so did the Adolph Hitler memoirs and the Piltdown man. Has anybody scratched below the surface?
    WALSTIB

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is "The Old Farmer's Almanac"
    really that much of threat?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread