Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Cyburbia Weight Loss Plan (TM)

Registered
    Nov 2002

The Cyburbia Weight Loss Plan (TM)

As inspired by GeogPlanner
    'bout time someone developed the Cyburbia diet...
    Alright people. A lot of us want to lose some weight in 2004. Help us out here!

Post suggestions, techniques, desperate measures, recipes and cautionary tales.

And exercise suggestions cannot involve bicycles.

Disclaimer: Us planners ain't doctors or dieticians or physical trainers. When in doubt, consult your professional health advisor of choice.
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Walk and eat more salad with healthy salad dressing, leave fast food behind, if you can't go cold turkey -treat yourself once or twice a month. Replace your favorite beverage with water. Let's face it, for most of us we're talking about a change in lifestyle. Think less tv, earlier to bed for more time in the am. Just be moderate and look at the long term, things will work out for you.

WALKING IS REALLY GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001

low-carb beer and chicken...

from my past experience, you have to be willing to change your lifestyle...atkins and those other diets suck b/c you cannot eat that way forever. i think that the cyburbia diet is portion control. something like a decent breakfast, an early hearty lunch, a afternoon snack, and a light dinner. gotta eat early and not late. i used to not let myself eat after 7pm. and worked out 4 times a week doing some weights (low weight, high reps) and 20-30 min on a treadmill...dropped 25 lbs. except i probably put some back on b/c i stopped with the gym when i moved...didnt get into a new gym.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My weight loss secret this fall was to get injured in such a way, fell off my bicycle (oops sorry)separated/dislocated shoulder, that every time you moved it hurt so bad that it killed your appetite. Pain killers also dulled my appetite.

Now that my stomach has shrunk, I have almost no appetite.

I forgot the other thing that helped me lose weight, this time around, bad stress.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm... If I gained 1 pound for each Cyburbianite that wants to lose weight... I'd probably have a more normal weight (A bit past the "ideal" weight probably)

Being the General Contractor (and all the subs except plumbing) on my kitchen project meant 1) no stove or sink for four months; 2) lots of interesting and new exercise; and, 3) weight loss of 8 lbs (from 179 to 171).

Now that the kitchen is functional (not finished, but functional) we'll see if I can keep it off (although 175 would be fine).
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Weight Watcher and exercise. Add a lot of discipline to that and the pounds will fall off.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I would think the key to a "Cyburbia Diet" is moving to a walkable, mixed use neighborhood.

I just need more time to do the fitness stuff, although I'd want to gain weight. My weight is embarassingly low for an adult man.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Stay away from candy and chips as snacks. Eat fruit instead. Also, walk as much as possible and avoid the elevator if you can. Take the stairs.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jun 2003

Re: The Cyburbia Weight Loss Plan (TM)

Originally posted by SGB
    And exercise suggestions cannot involve bicycles.

?Why not?
    I will be BOLDand ask
    what do you have against bicycle riders any way?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Re: The Cyburbia Weight Loss Plan (TM)

Originally posted by JNA
    ?Why not?
    I will be bold and ask
    what do you have against bicycle riders any way?
    I've nothing against bicycle riders. That was sarcasm and a poke at all the avid bike riders at Cybutbia.

I'm a bike rider myself. Just not regular or avid.

If biking was a big part of your weight loss routine, do tell! There must be better roles for bikes in weight loss than what Donk described going through.
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    now having a chronic disease
    I had to stop drinking (sorry beer drinkers)
    pretty much given up potatoe (sorry Indiana spelling), rice, pasta, dairy products, red meat, etc...

Weather permitting I bike and/or walk 45 min. 3 -4 times a week.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Before taking this job I used to exercise 4-5 times every week. Stretching, 30-45 minutes on the elliptical machine, a mile walk/jog to stretch the muscles again, then 20 minutes on a rowing machine, followed by the circuit machines. I usually just had a donut or muffin with orange juice for breakfast, tended to snack through the day rather than sit down to a lunch, and finished dinner before six. Exercise was from 9 to 11. In the last seven years I have gained 20 pounds that I would like to lose.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well i thought that starting work at a great place 2 doors down from my gym would mean I'd grad the gym bag every day and make it part of the routine. Hasnt happened yet. The annual membership renewal is sitting on my desk tormenting me. I may have to consult with Tracy Gold to lose weight.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    [humor] Throw out your bed. You will breathe better and have more energy. Doing 18 or 20 loads of laundry in the 2 days following throwing out the bed is also good exercise. Other than that, getting off the steroids that kept you breathing will probably stop the upward trend in weight that said steroids fostered. Sleeping on the floor may also be good for one's back.[/humor]

Seriously, if you have any kind of health problems, address those up front as part of your "fitness" plan. I know folks here are not terribly impressed with my ability to, oh, walk to my car without getting out of breathe and I do not appear to be the poster child for ultimate fitness. But, given that I *should* have died and I spent 4 months bedridden and 3 years in medical hell, I really have improved my fitness level dramatically and it was hard won. It didn't happen by accident or shear "good luck". I worked at it, very much consciously and with goals. With recently pitching my bed in the dumpster, I feel like I have been gifted a new body for Christmas. I haven't felt this good in many years.

Slow deteriation tends to creep up unnoticed and may be dismissed as "slowing down with age". That is precisely how something like congestive heart failure kills people (and it is also the short version of my brush with death). A friend of mine in her 50's was recently complaining to me how she was tired all the time and just didn't have energy. Not long thereafter she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure -- a condition that creeps up on one very slowly and is not nearly as dramatic as a heart attack. So, you might want to get a check up if it has been a while since you worked out and you just don't understand why you can't come up with the energy to stick with a fitness plan.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    On a serious note, the thing I try to do is drink a large glass of water 10 -15 minutes before a meal. That way you are full on water instead of food.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A friend of mine went the trendy South Beach route and after seeing her success I decided to try a modified version of it. I drank nothing but water (and beer and occasionally bourbon ), gave up all fast food and most red meat, and ate fish (never fried) almost every day. Not only did I drop the 20 lbs. I wanted but my cholesterol dropped nearly 40 points. The only thing Iíd like is a little more muscle but I really, really, really, really hate going to the gym.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I have to agree with Donk. I try to drink at least one full glass of water before every meal. I've become a grazer. Only eating when I felt hungry and just enough to curb the hunger pangs. It's been a good success for me. Walking is a great suggestion.

Registered
    May 2003
    Some people need a program that's easy to follow, includes encouragement from others, and doesn't require a lot of draconian lifestyle changes. That was certainly me. Last July, I joined Weight Watchers. On July 28, I weighed just under 245 pounds. Went to my doctor, who gave me a goal weight of 190 pounds based on my body style, height, etc. As of December 18, I now weigh 187 pounds-a total loss of 57.8 pounds. By my 45th birthday I will weigh the same that I did when I entered college.

I followed the plan, exercised when I could (which was less often than I would like), and attended the meetings. The weight came off. Simple dietary changes - drinking more water, better balancing my diet with green veggies and fiber-rich foods, and making better choices when eating out is what did it. I have never felt like I have deprived myself (the best thing about the WW plan is that nothing is forbidden). Other benefits have followed: better stomach and gastrointestinal health, and the heel pain that almost led me to an expensive surgery has all but disappeared.

I tried Atkins, lost a few pounds on it, but found it too hard to cut out carb-rich foods like bread, pasta, etc. I highly recommend Weight Watchers. Yes, it has a corporate feel that some may find disconcerting, but at the local level the people I met and who encouraged me were very personable and interested in my success. I'd encourage anyone looking to lose weight to check out the WW program.

Registered
    Oct 2001

The el Guapo Diet (TM)

Here is what has helped me shed some of the excess
    1. I stopped smoking.
    2. Atkins - It works as promised but follow it exactly for best results.
    3. I found a form of exercise I actually enjoy, bicycling. There is one out there for you to.
    4. Supportive family members really help.
    5. Increasing the importance of the concept of good health in my mind's eye.
    6. De-stressing after 8 long and painful Clinton years. God, I feel sooooo much better.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    Originally posted by biscuit
    The only thing Iíd like is a little more muscle but I really, really, really, really hate going to the gym.
    I don't care much for the gym either, but I found that having a workout buddy helps a lot. I used to go to the gym on rare occasions, but now I find myself there about twice a week striving to equal or beat my workout buddy at our routine. It also helps to have him there to push me on, and to pick the bar up off of my neck when my body decides it has had enough. On a positive note, I noticed an increase in muscle mass in a month.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Stay in shape, and eat right. Join a gym, and work out - you feel compelled to go because you are paying.

Eating right is the hard part. Put the junk food in the garbage, don't buy any so you are not tempted. Also limit the amount you eat, far to many, and even I like to eat just because, but limit your portions so you eat until you feel full, then stop eating! Don't go back for seconds...
    "your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Let's see ....

Why not get a bike??

Seriously, the only way to lose weight is to burn more daily calories than you consume. Period. End of story. No magic pills, programs, etc.

You need to know what your caloric intake is on a daily basis (I can provide a very comprehensive listing of foods for anyone who wishes), and have a good idea of what you are burning.

Excercise is a must. Sorry.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Play Dance Dance Revolution.

Seriously.

If you don't think it's a work out, play for a few weeks until you're good enough to do the harder songs.

11th grade, preDDR : 170 lbs

first year UChicago, postDDR : 135 lbs and a very healthy blood pressure/pulse

and don't think you're too old. or too young.

or you could just go to a gym, but that' not nearly as fun (and it's more expensive)

EDIT: oh yes, and I also have two friends who also Dance Dance Revolution'd their ways to better health. a friend in iowa coincidentally started DDR about the same time as me, and when we met up last summer, we both kind of stared at each other for a while in wonderment. it can do wonders.

EDIT2: on a more serious note, if you ever get the munchies, drink some water instead. in many people, the thirst signal is so primitive its sometimes mistaken for hunger or appetite. even if you're wrong, the water will fill your stomach a bit so you aren't compelled to munch.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Solipsa

EDIT2: on a more serious note, if you ever get the munchies, drink some water instead. in many people, the thirst signal is so primitive its sometimes mistaken for hunger or appetite. even if you're wrong, the water will fill your stomach a bit so you aren't compelled to munch.
    Actually, that's a good point but I would take that idea a little further: "munchies" -- or cravings for something in particular -- are often a signal that your body needs a specific nutrient and might be calmed by "taking your vitamins".

I am acutely aware of it because I basically spent most of my life malnourished, in spite of heroic efforts to feed myself right. Now that my underlying medical disorder is being treated, I suffer a lot less from "the munchies". But I still notice, for example, that when my intake of dairy goes way up, taking my oft-neglected calcium supplement usually kills my craving for dairy within a day or two. (When my intake of soda goes up, that is a craving for caffeine, which has a similar stimulant effect as most asthma drugs. Drinking more than usual soda is often my first clue that I have some problem I need to address. So I am extremely aware of how the body craves that which it needs and hunger for something specific is not merely self-indulgence.)

Another biggie is salt and water-soluble vitamins, especially if you work out (or go to a sauna, use a hot tub, etc) since your body will "burn" these up. These are things that won't be as obvious to most people as they are to me but if you take your vitamins, it can eventually level-out some of your food "issues". Overweight people are often malnourished because so many of their calories are "empty calories" and they have to keep eating to try to get the nutrients that they also need. Calories alone will not keep your energy up.

Additionally, some nutrients are harder to get as you get older. For example, CoQ10 is recommended as a daily supplement as you get older. It is manufactured by the body in a multi-step process and it is vulnerable to being "bottlenecked" at any of a number of points in this process (I think there are 17 steps in the process). The "Co" part is short for "Co-enzyme" and it is the counterpart that works hand-in-hand with melatonin. A lot of people take melatonin as a natural way to help them sleep. I cannot give melatonin to my insomniac son. It leaves him dopey and unable to fully wake up for about 3 days. While taking melatonin will not promote the production of CoQ10, taking CoQ10 will boost the body's production of melatonin about 12 hours later. CoQ10 is like an "upper" in that it chemically wakes up your brain. So I have been known to give my son CoQ10 to help him wake up in the morning and help him sleep better at night without being "dopey". Taking CoQ10 early in the day is one of the ways I began making progress with my own sleep issues. Taking it late in the day can give you insomnia. With gaining 20 pounds in one year -- a weight gain of nearly 20% for him -- and being adequately nourished for the first time in his life, my son's sleep issues have largely disappeared. He is also just a lot less crabby and stuff. So I think if you address sound nutrition, you may surprised at the results after a few weeks.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 93
    Last post: 23 Nov 2012, 9:29 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 8:40 AM
  3. The Holiday Weight Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 Jan 2009, 8:31 PM