• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

02/10/04 - 4pm question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In honor of the V-day thread… today’s 4pm question is:

What is the most romantic thing you have ever done for someone, or have had done for you?

Please keep it clean…

JNL

Cyburbian
Don't know if this was romantic, but it sure was sweet...

While at university I was sick once with a cold and trying to prepare for exams. My (now ex-)fiance, who lived an hours drive away, was busy that weekend, or so I thought, so I spoke to him on the phone and then resigned myself to a miserable weekend alone. A bit later there was a knock on my door and he was there with 2 shopping bags of goodies to help me get better, including orange juice, aloe vera tissues (kleenex?), magazines, chocolate and other stuff.

He was the practical type, and not really into surprises, so it was pretty special and really showed that he cared :)

Queen B

Cyburbian
My sweetheart, made arrangements with the local college choir who came in two full vans to my work place on a general staff day when all employees were in the building. They burst out in a round of "I Can't Stop This Feelin'" surrounding me in the hall. I cried!!!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My romantic things of the past were wasted on my ex-wife.....so I'll pass on this thread, and concentrate on what kind of suprises I can come up with for the new person in my life.....perhaps I'll respond after this weekend. ;)

I once traveled more than a thousand miles (with kids in tow) to be with hubby while he was in school (a military school, in a different state from where we were living). His reaction suggests it meant a lot to him. But I will dutifully "keep it clean".

Just before I went away to GIS school, my husband happened to leave for 3 days for business and came back on his birthday. I took $2000 of my student loan and redid the apartment while he was gone (I still had unopened boxes when he came home). I finally bought him that chess set I have been swearing for years I would get him. Bookshelves because he never has enough. A place to display some of the stuff that matters most to him. Etc etc etc. Of course, he made me regret it. It was my heart felt response to his supporting me going off to GIS school. When I came back on break 6 weeks later, I informed him I wanted out.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
When I came back on break 6 weeks later, I informed him I wanted out.
Ahh romance.

I set up a personal tribute to my wife with a collection of cards, photos, and other meaningful momentos for our anniversary. She cried, so I think she liked it. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Hmmm, this is hard. The man and I try to keep it as romantic as possible in the house, we're always doing little things for one another (him often times more than me). The best I can think of was when I came home and found him on one knee asking me to marry him and then later I found out he also asked my family's permission. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Let's see... there have been so many...

It was while I was an impoverished grad student on the frozen steppes of Illinois. There was no chance we were going anyplace warm that winter. After a trip to a museum, of all places (who ever said learnin' never done nobody no good?) I got the idea to bring the tropics up north. When she came by my apartment a couple nights later I had created our own private tropical paradise, with posters on the walls, the heat turned up, tropical plant, beach blanket, sand, polynesian food, ocean sounds on the stereo, and a couple leis. Oh yeah, it was a clothing-optional beach.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NHPlanner said:
My romantic things of the past were wasted on my ex-wife.....so I'll pass on this thread,
So were mine but I'll dive in...

I married my college sweetheart and our first valentines day was marred when her uncle was killed in a commercial plane crash (and he was the pilot). So she had to leave town suddenly and just left me a note and a little stuffed teddy bear holding a red box covered in white hearts, with heart candies in the box. Fast forward 4 years to valentines day, and 2 days before i had bought an engagement ring. I had her over for dinner, we had a bottle of bubbly, she gave me my trinket gift, and I gave her the bear back with the ring in the box. She didnt even know I still had that bear, so the shock value was tremendous.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My romantic side kind of withered away after the girl that I was seeing in college decided she did not know what she wanted. But here it goes... I had a friend who was in the hospital in the ICU, and all the nurses thought that I was this persons older brother. Well I brought my G.F. at the time with me to visit my friend, and they where not doing so well. Afterwards I was a little bummed, so her and I went for a walk in downtown Marquette. With each step we seemed to grow closer. We finally got to Matson Lower Harbor Park on the Shore of Lake Superior. Being that it was spring, there was a dampness in the air that seemed to almost flow right though the both of us, so we stopped for a moment and hugged each other, kind of to warm up, but more so to be close to each other. As we stood there as the water would lightly splash onto the pillars of the dock we where standing on, we started to slow dance. As we where holding each other moving to the tempo in our minds and hearts, a gentle snow started to gently glide towards the ground below, I leaned into kiss her, and the night just set in, and the white lights that out lined the buildings around us and though out the downtown came alive as our lips touched. A few months later, she decided that she was not sure what she wanted, but knew it was not me. I moved on, (and to Philly) but the romantic side of me seemed to die with my feelings for her.

Until now... with a possiblity of a new romance with a great girl.... who knows?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I was being stalked by a midget from my former workplace and getting really stressed over it. My boyfriend at the time visited said midget at work and calmly read him the riot act. I felt so defended, so protected. Hey, I was in my early 20's, it seemed romantic. Of course, 8 months later the boyfriend dumped me and married someone he'd known for 6 weeks.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The answer is in Google....
Just type "Has SkeLeton ever been romantic?", you'll get just the amounts of times I have.

Ah... BKM mabye we could do an Asocial Planner Association... oh darn.. that'll just be APA too :p

EDIT: I just remembered my last pickup line: "Does this smell like chloroform?" :-D

Last edited:

JNL

Cyburbian
On Saturday I met this guy who told me he hadn't believed in love at first sight, until he met me!!!

Bet he says that to all the girls

JNL said:
On Saturday I met this guy who told me he hadn't believed in love at first sight, until he met me!!!

Bet he says that to all the girls
And if he doesn't say that to all the girls, he will feel stabbed through the heart if you dismiss it that way. You should get to know him a little better before you figure it for one way or the other.

JNL

Cyburbian
I'm just a little, okay I'm VERY, cynical... and I was wearing my nurse's costume at the time :) (not kinky - see this thread http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10571)

To get this back on track... a b/f left a love note inside the pages of a textbook I was studying from so that I found it a few days later while studying. That was sweet.

None of my business and I wasn't there, so I am in no position to judge. However, I am wondering if you actually meant "cynical" or if you intended to say "skeptical".