• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

02/11/04 4pm question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
That’s right… it is 4 pm (give or take a 15 min) and it is time for….

THE DAILY 4PM question from Michaelskis. :-}

Today’s question came from a conversation about music with maisman, and the excitement about the pixies (which I still don’t know who they are…)

What music group, single performer, or concert would you most like to go to?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Alman Brothers at Filmore East :-D
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I hate concerts and other excessively crowded places...
But I'd go to a Radiohead concert or a Porcupine Tree, and quite possibly a Godspeed You! Black Emperor one... :)

EDIT: Forgot VAST.

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
It's difficult to name just one act you'd really like to see. If I had my way I would go to a lot of concerts. But if we have to pick one it would be Gomez because they never seem to tour in the US.

BKM

Cyburbian
I'll ditto Skel on Godspeed! You Black Emperor

Other concerts:

Another Legendary Pink Dots show-the best show I've ever seen, I would love to see the Prophet Qa'Spel and his crew again.

The Swans-they need to reunite first, of course.

My Dying Bride-my introduction to doom metal.

Painful as it was, I would love to see David Tibet and Current 93 again.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Not just a concert, it's my personal music Mecca every year: Coachella Valley Music Festival . Unfortunately, I have yet to make the hajj to this great event.

That withstanding, I would like to see a good ska band come through town (c'mon Pietasters, get out of New England already!)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Not possible anymore, but would have loved to see the original line-up of the Misfits play a Halloween show.

JNL

Cyburbian
Your 4pm questions are 10am questions for me :)

Yeah seeing Nirvana would be wicked. Can't believe it's 10 years since Kurt left us.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think that for me… it would be Tower of Power, or Earth Wind and Fire… but then Garth Brooks put on a hell of a show even if your not a country fan.

Dragon

Cyburbian
Ahhhh.........to see Aerosmith again. They will be in concert about an hour from her in late March. The tickets are a little steep, so I have to make a decision :-\

Repo Man

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Not just a concert, it's my personal music Mecca every year: Coachella Valley Music Festival . Unfortunately, I have yet to make the hajj to this great event.

That withstanding, I would like to see a good ska band come through town (c'mon Pietasters, get out of New England already!)
Every year they seem to have a better lineup!

I think I have seen all of the bands that I would most like to see. That task was completed last summer when I saw Radiohead, who were incredible.

I have never seen Dropkick Murphy's, so they are probably at the top of my list of bands that I would most like to see.

If I could go back in time I would love to see the Who in their prime, The Stone Roses, Operation Ivy, Black Flag, and the Police.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Paul Simon but he would have to be close enough I could get there. I can't afford plane and concert tickets. I put up with Garfunkel but would rather just have Simon.

donk

Cyburbian
All time/not able to anymore

Velvet Underground
The Clash

Currently available
Lou Reed
Eve6 - I know, but I think it would be fun

Have seen and would go again if I could

The Cramps
The Who
The Ramones

nerudite

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
If I could go back in time I would love to see the Who in their prime, The Stone Roses, Operation Ivy, Black Flag, and the Police.
I swear you would have been my dream date in college...

edit: The Dropkick Murphys are awesome.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I want to see Cake in concert. They're music is consistently great and diverse.

nerudite

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I want to see Cake in concert. They're music is consistently great and diverse.
I must say that they are really good in concert. I was big into the Sacramento music scene when I lived there over a decade ago, and I probably ended up seeing them at least a dozen times. I even saw them again a few years back after they made several popular songs and their live gig was still excellent. Highly recommended :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Descendents with the original crew. Saw All a while back, great show, they performed a lot of Descendents songs because there new albulm sucked. Saw Descendents after their everything sucks today album. Basically All with Milo singing, but it kicked ass.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have to go with the Residents. I saw them once in Ann Arbor back in '89. Wore black full body stockings which also covered their faces. Avant Garde in every respect both in terms of performance and music!

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Tough I am far away from the rock concerts scene( with only the occassional Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi and Jethrotull coming around here, though I love Jethrotull)

Satriani would be great to watch no doubt.
How bout Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne.
AC/DC.
All great performers!!
Any takers for this kind??

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I finally got to see the Who in the 1990s on their "Quadrophenia" reunion tour, but I would have loved to see them in their crazy Keith Moon days. (I still remember hearing on the radio that he had died - 1978, I think)

I want to see the Manic Street Preachers. I bet no one has even heard of them - they're huge in the UK.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mud Princess said:
I want to see the Manic Street Preachers. I bet no one has even heard of them - they're huge in the UK.
Didn't their lead signer vanish mysteriously? Was he ever found?

My list:

Feasible: Cake, Radiohead, Beastie Boys, Rush, Rage Against the Machine

Not Feasible: The Clash, The Beatles, Duke Ellington

JNL

Cyburbian
Chet, I'll go to Linkin Park with you :)

Mud Princess - I like the Manic Street Preachers too. Was listening to one of their songs this morning on a mixed CD.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Didn't their lead signer vanish mysteriously? Was he ever found?
He wasn't the singer but yes, one of the members of the Manic Street Preachers (Richey James, a/k/a Richey Edwards) disappeared in 1995 & was never found. The band has continued as a three-piece.