• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

10 Fattest Cities

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Men's Fitness magazine reported their annual list of the
Ten Fattest Cities:

1. Houston
2. Chicago
3. Detroit
4. Philadelphia
5. St Louis
6. Cleveland
7. Atlanta
8. Columbus, Ohio
9. Dallas
10. Charlotte, N.C.

1. Houston
2. Chicago
3. Detroit
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas
6. Columbus, Ohio
7. San Antonio
8. Fort Worth, Texas
9. St. Louis
10. Indianapolis

1. Houston
2. Detroit
3. Philadelphia
4. New Orleans
5. Columbus, Ohio
6. Mesa, Ariz.
7. Kansas City, Mo.
8. Phoenix
9. Cleveland
10. Chicago

Jeff

Cyburbian
nothing like a good cheesesteak to keep our waists nice and round....

Jen

Cyburbian
Why no fatties on the west coast of US? Furthest out city was Mesa Az in 2001?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Zoning Goddess said:
I'm surprised Orlando isn't on this list. We seem to have a disproportionate share of fatties.
Strange ... I noticed that when I lived there, too. There seemed to be far more obesity in the western suburbs than the north I-4 corridor area.

Buffalo is a very husky town. Check out the profiles on any dating Web site; there's a much larger proportion of people claiming "a few extra pounds" than what you'll find for other cities. Buffalo has brutal winter weather, and perhaps the strongest food culture of any city I've been in. Look at the number of restaurants, the dominance of ethnic and fried foods in the local diet, and the enormity of the area's supermarkets.

Folks in Kansas City are definitely slimmer; you'll see a Midwestern corn-fed look with chubby faces, but people here tend to have slim-to-WPTH builds.

I think the list considers only central city size, and not metropolitan area size. Mesa, Arizona is on the list. Orlando's population is very low compared to its metropolitan population.

Jen said:
Why no fatties on the west coast of US? Furthest out city was Mesa Az in 2001?
The climate is condusive to a more outdoorsy lifestyle, which in turns attracts residents who prefer such environments; healthy and fit uberjocks. Consider all the folks that move to Denver and Colorado Springs not for work, but for "the mountains." Ever been to Boulder? The local joke is that it's illegal to be fat there.

Winters are mild, summers are temperate and not oppressive along the coast, and in the desert and Rockies there's little humidity. 105 degrees in Phoenix isn't a third as draining as 85 degrees is in Orlando.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Dan said:

I think the list considers only central city size, and not metropolitan area size. Mesa, Arizona is on the list. Orlando's population is very low compared to its metropolitan population.

The climate is condusive to a more outdoorsy lifestyle, which in turns attracts residents who prefer such environments; healthy and fit uberjocks. Consider all the folks that move to Denver and Colorado Springs not for work, but for "the mountains." Ever been to Boulder? The local joke is that it's illegal to be fat there.

Winters are mild, summers are temperate and not oppressive along the coast, and in the desert and Rockies there's little humidity. 105 degrees in Phoenix isn't a third as draining as 85 degrees is in Orlando.
ha- 105 here is hell! :) It is nice to be able to go for a quick hike, and we made sure we moved into a house that gives us quick access to South Mountain.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I wonder what the 10 phattest cities are?

:)

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:

Vancouver
...I thought it was "Vangroover"

Philly's definitly gotta be up there, we're phat!

Along with South Beach, San Diego, NYC (I guess), Baltimore, and DC.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'll list the cities along the famous Patchouli Circuit travelled by those kids who are "taking a year off of college to find themselves, man" - Santa Fe, Taos, Boulder, Paonia, Tellurude, Crested Butte, Moab, and Bozeman.

Ibiza is definitely a phat city.

Montreal could be phat.

Detroit used to be phat, until white kids started to use the word. Now I'd call Detroit "thick."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Moab made the list? I remember when it was little more than a cow town with the hotel "where John Wayne slept."

I think you might also add Madison, WI, Missoula, MT and Eugene, OR to the list.

donk

Cyburbian
moab is a mountain bike mecca. Most mountain bike meccas (crested butte is one too) have lots of trustafarians.

" hey dude lets smoke a phatty and ride our bikes along the really steep cliffs."