• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

11 Oscars for Return of the King!

JNL

Cyburbian
Yay for Peter Jackson and New Zealand!!! :)

The entire front page of this morning's newspaper was taken up with the Oscars news.

(I think I can safely say I am proud of my country for this effort Rem and eG :p)

I only watched 10 mins of the Oscars. I think I was officially brain dead during that time frame. Talk about a bore!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
? Were you one of the extras in any of the 3 movies?

JNL

Cyburbian
JNA said:
? Were you one of the extras in any of the 3 movies?
I went to some try-outs when they advertised for people with long blonde hair to play elves - but they only wanted young men and old women :(

Rem

Cyburbian
Fair claim to pride JNL, congratulations. I especially liked the speech by, I think, the guy who won sound editing. He sounded like a sheep farmer and came across as totally unaffected by the hype.

BKM

Cyburbian
:-b James Howard Kunstler, of course, finds the 11 Oscars yet another sign of the Impending Collapse of American Civilization (ICAC).

He also urged all of us west coasters to abandon California.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I haven't watched the Oscars in years but I watched last night. I have spent many years being a total "dork" because the trilogy has been my favorite read since I was 10. I just wanted to see LOTR sweep the awards, and they did!

JNL, Billy Crystal said everyone in NZ had been thanked last night, so I guess that included you!

nerudite

Cyburbian
I was kind of bummed about Lost in Translation not winning, since I liked that movie far better. The Return of the King was my least favourite of the trilogy episodes. All in all, I do admit it was quite a feat to bring the entire story to the big screen... very challenging and so I think the awards were deserved.

I'm glad that Sophia Coppola walked away with an award though, because I really think her writing is amazing.

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
JNL, Billy Crystal said everyone in NZ had been thanked last night, so I guess that included you!
Yes Peter Jackson thanked "the people of New Zealand and the Government of New Zealand and the city councils and everyone who has supported us the length and breadth of the country".

JNL: "It was a tough job, but I did what I could, and at the end of the day it's fantastic to see that everyone came to the party and did their bit to support Pete and the LOTR crew" :-D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planderella said:
I only watched 10 mins of the Oscars. I think I was officially brain dead during that time frame. Talk about a bore!
I fell alseep after 15 minutes due to a combination of a sinus cold, alka seltzer cold medicine, and a 1/4 of my vodka tonic. I hear I didnt miss anything...

But yes congrats to NZ and the rings trilogy! :)

I did manage to download the Annie Lenox song today between naps. Gotta love that woman.

The Irish One

Well congrats JNL and the cast and crew of LOTR. But hey the big news was that The Fog of War won an oscar, I mean that movie was great, watching Macnamara cry on screen for an hour and a half, coupled with an intimate history of his hell bent on WW3 holiness, Colonel LaMay and all but saying he (Mac) hated LBJ's guts and thought he was a stupid SOB, great stuff.