• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

13 Best City Building Games for PC That You Must Play in 2018

AG74683

Cyburbian
I've played:

Anno 2205
Banished
Cities: Skylines
SimCity
Tropico 5

They are all good at different things. Cities: Skylines is better than SimCity now. The other 3 aren't traditional city building games though, especially Banished and Tropico 5.

Banished is more about settling a new colony and building a medieval village. It's much smaller in scope and requires you to micro-manage your citizens. They have to be assigned specific jobs and resource collecting is a big deal. You can also lose your entire village to sickness or harsh weather. It's a fun game though, slower paced but very enjoyable.

Tropico 5 is also pretty limited. It's more about running a simulation of what essentially amounts to Cuba. The building types aren't as varied. I'd say it's more akin to running a government rather than just a city. t's an absolute blast though and IIRC they make it for consoles (PS4, Xbox, etc.).

Cities XXL is supposed to be pretty good. Forge of Empires is a mobile game from what I remember. There are a few others that aren't on the list. If you're into games like Another Brick in The Mall (last on the list) check out Prison Architect 1 or 2 and Rimworld. I haven't bought Rimworld yet but it looks fantastic. It's about building a space colony.

Hink

OH....IO
I played an older Anno, and it was good.
I really like Banished.
Cities Skylines is pretty good for management, but gets really tedious.
I did not like Cities XXL.
SimCity is well, SimCity.
I always like Tropico games, even though they are painfully boring.
I haven't played Cities in Motion.
I haven't played Forge of Empires.
I have played a number of Settler's games, and would say they are on the bottom end of city building games.
I haven't played Aven Colony, Urban Empire, or Another Brick in the Mall.