• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2/12/04 4pm question from Michaelskis...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s 4pm question EST (or 10am question for JNL) was thought of because of the news of Barbie and Ken, and the possible affair with a surfer named Blaine.

What was your favorite childhood toy?

(JUST FOR A CLARIFICATION…. I NEVER OWNED ANY BARBIE DOLLS…. The only time I played with them involved a fire cracker and some duct tape)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
lego
multifit
tinkertoys
erector set
lincoln logs

hmmmm. do I detect a pattern here?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
My Buddy.. I mean.... Favorite toy had to have been. Not sure really. I liked being outside alot doing stuff that kids do. Do imaginary friends count?

Well this really isn't a toy, but I liked setting up aquariums for things like fish, salamanders, etc. that I caught.

JNL

Cyburbian
Maybe this trick camera that squirted people with water :) but someone else liked it too and stole it :(

Or the trapeze artist thingy made of sticks and string and you squeezed the handles and the little man flipped around. That was cool :) but I took it to school and a girl broke it :(

Or the wind up musical clock :) that my little sister smashed :(

Okay I'll go with the Lego - I've still got it and it's very durable!

Queen B

Cyburbian
Well in the Barbie vein.
I did play with Barbie but evaluate this psychologically.. Every one of them that I ever had got the feet eaten off by whatever dog we had at the time. So does that mean I grew up without footing????

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Star Wars Death Star and Milennium Falcon

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars

I took some everywhere I went.

adolescense:
My bike (because of the independence it gave me)

Habanero

Cyburbian
I don't think I had a favorite toy overall, I'd switch between barbies and legos a lot though.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Legos, Star Wars Toys, BB Gun, Skateboard, and electronics kit.

I would say that the legos and the electronics kit were my two favorite because you could be very creative with them. My friend and I used an electronics kit to make a radio station. My dad used some wire to hook the small antenna to our roof mounted antenna and my friend could hear the broadcast from 3 houses down. We thought it was so cool that we "made" our own readio station.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Roller skates. I was out there every day in my dolphin shorts and skates for [like] 7 years or something.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NHPlanner said:
Star Wars Death Star and Milennium Falcon
Those plus matchbox and hotwheels. Do you beleive I still have all mine? ;)
I wonder what 30 year old hot wheels are worth on eBay....

Does anyone remember Put-Puts??

otterpop

Cyburbian
My "Man From Uncle" gun. It looked like a camera, then you hit the switch and it turned into a gun. Damn cool. Sixguns, too. When I was 7 I didn't know if I wanted to be Napoleon Solo or Jim West.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
LEGO
A humongous aircraft carrier with working elevator and little rubber bands to shoot the fighter planes off the deck
Not really a toy... the really nice drum set my dad got for me when I was 12
When I was very small, my parents converted the back porch into 2 identical "kitchens" for my sister and me: running water in the sinks, pretend fridges and ovens, cabinets and countertops.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Bicycle - of course
Sunfish Sailboat
Downhill Skis & boots

I think I had an erector set and lincoln logs also.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mine where my lego's, lincoln logs, and a drafting board and pens... I always enjoyed drawing.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Lincoln Logs, Erector Set, Hot Wheels, model train, guns. I still play with the model train. :D

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
I grew up as a tom boy so I loved transformers, lincoln logs, and anything I could use to help my best friend (who happened to be a boy) build forts in the woods at the back of our houses.

donk

Cyburbian
Most of mine have already been said, but here is my list

Fisher Price Adventure People
Mecano
Lincoln Logs
Lego
Matchbox, hot wheels and dinky cars
Bikes (have not out grown that one)
marbles

I think decorating a room with lego ala microserfs could be neat.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Lego (please, not "Legos"), Matchbox cars (when they looked like real cars, and not goofy, riced-up caricatures with engines sticking up a scale meter or two above the top of the engine well), and model railroads.

Girden & Panel was pretty cool, too ... do they still make that?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I just remembered, I loved those electric slot car tracks with the squeeze trigger to make the cars go faster… but you had to be careful if you where going too fast, it would shoot off the track on the corners…

Does anyone know where I can get a set of Lincoln Logs? The real wood ones… not this plastic junk.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I too played with train sets and am currently working on a N-Scale city in the attic.

But my favorite toy probally was that set of jarts;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
I spent most of my childhood running through the woods and generally spent most of my time outside. I did have a few favorite toys however, and these are the ones that made my shortlist:

Match-Box cars for which I would build roads and towns in the dirt
LEGO
Transformers
and
G.I. Joe

A good friend of mine was really into MASK and our G.I. Joe vs. MASK play battles were the stuff that toy legends are made. I would set up battlefields in the den or out in the yard and Joe and his buddies would duke it out for hours.Perhaps one of the most epic battles for my G.I. Joes was when they fought against the evil My Little Pony figures that belonged to my sister. It was an ugly, ugly fight in which good triumphed over insufferable cuteness and the My Little Ponies were laid to waste.