• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2/13/04 Question from Michaelskis

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It is 4pm in Kalamazoo County and I am out measuring setbacks for a kitchen expansion, so Maister is nice enough to post this for me.

Today's question comes from a TV commercial listed in another post (thanks to GeogPlanner)
If you had a phone that would call back in to speak with a younger version of yourself for 30 seconds, what information would you share that might significantly change the outcome of your life?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Stay the f!@$ away from [insert ex-wife's name here].....she's going to mess up your life and it's gonna end in divorce after barely a year.

SGB

Cyburbian
Stay away from roller rinks as a teenager!
You can't afford the future dental work that will be needed!
8-!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
-I think I would have to have it tell me "Hey jerk, next time don't eat the steamed clam, dummie."

3 days of hallucinations before heading to the ER, is not a good idea.

I can't really think of anything else, because every stupid thing you do in life, ends up teaching you something to pass along in the future.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You know, I was telling Michaelskis (outside of the cyberworld) that one of the problems of trying to prevent unpleasant episodes in life is that sometimes good things come out of what seem at the time to be terrible situations. Like getting fired from a sh---y job only to get a much better one later or discovering one's spiritual side through 12 step recovery or getting dumped only to find oneself in a richer relationship later in life due to the earlier introspection.....you get the idea.

You do not have a destiny. I am only one POSSIBLE Future Self. You should get on the phone and talk to several other POSSIBLE Future Selves as well and see which woman you like the best and then follow her advice. And if you don't like any of them, keep looking until you find the one you want to become. "There is always a choice. You still have a choice." (Can someone tell me the name of the Tom Cruise movie I am stealing that quote from?)

Queen B

Cyburbian
Have all the sex you want cause your highschool reputation doesn't mean squat and AIDS is on it's way!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
Have all the sex you want cause your highschool reputation doesn't mean squat and AIDS is on it's way!
But wouldn't the burning sensations of other lovely diseases be a check of how much you do have?;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mine would be the following...

Being a good guy, or shy will not get you laid, and becareful on the third to the last gate when ski racing... don't take it wide, knees are important.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
"There is always a choice. You still have a choice." (Can someone tell me the name of the Tom Cruise movie I am stealing that quote from?)
Minority Report?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Get medical and dental insurance / check-ups so you don't have to pay dearly :-c for the consequences now.

otterpop

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Mine would be the following...

Being a good guy, or shy will not get you laid, . . .
DITTO. "A faint heart never filled a flush" Or something like that.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Don't move to that stinkin' little town!!! (which will effectively solve the ex-spouse problem and a few others)

Don't switch your college major!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Use every spare dime you have to buy Microsoft stock! Lots and lots of Microsoft stock!

(sorry jordanb)

Wulf9

michaelskis said:
becareful on the third to the last gate when ski racing... don't take it wide, knees are important.
And remember to breathe, particularly on the downhill. If you hold your breath, you run out of oxygen just when you need some strength.

The Irish One

You know you're going to get whooped but take a swing anyways, right at the nose. times 3

Confront her with the bull**** she's throwing at you and tell her you're not interested, but my friend -he's a nice guy......and you are so good to go my man. :cool: