• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

2/18/04 4pm question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yea yea.. I know I did not get back in time to post my question so here is the
4pm question from Michaelskis.

Today, I was thinking about going back home for a weekend… and I was going to contact my friends from high school to see if any of them will also be home, and it made me wonder…

How close are you to your friends from High School compared to college friends???

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My best friend from middle/high school is still my best friend. Also keep up with the other best friend from high school, but she lives a couple hours away.

Send X-mas cards, etc. to college friends, but they're all in New England and I'm in FL, so never see them.

JNL

Cyburbian
I was born, went to kindergarten, primary (=elementary?) school, high school and university all in the same region, so a lot of the people are still around (because it's such a fantastic place to live of course). Keep in touch via email with people from uni mostly, and a couple from high school. Am going to visit a friend in Germany this year who I met when she came over for a high school exchange. We were best friends and used to double date with 2 guys who were best mates too. She has been over to visit 3 or 4 times since her exchange.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Though I'm living in the community I grew up in, I'm "closer" to my college friends that are dispersed among Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't keep in touch with college friends anymore, but I still do with most of my high school friends.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm in touch with one friend what I went to high school with but we had grown apart- we were only close in middle school.

I'm also only still friends with one person I knew in college, most of the people I hung out with did not have the same ambitions and still haven't gone anywhere and I didn't have much in common with them after school.

Dragon

Cyburbian
I stayed in contact with my 3 best friends from high school since we graduated. It wasn't always easy being that I went to college, and they joined the military.

Friend #1: He got married at 21, and has been in constant touch since graduation.

Friend #2: Joined the military, decided he didn't like it, and helped himself out. Now he is back in our hometown, and we talk and visit from time to time.

Friend #3: We have been good friends since 9th grade. He got married at 20 and I was his best man. His wife didn't like me (I'm assuming here, I never did anything wrong), and shortly afterward we quit speaking...for almost 1.5 years. I admit I missed my friend, and one day I recieved a call from him while he was stationed in Iraq. He said the wife had cheated on him, and it was over. He started calling once a week, and emailed more frequently. He made it back stateside, and although we live 3.25 hours away, we have been talking almost daily (including 3AM drunk calls, pretty funny, if annoying), and have been able to get together for the weekend at least once a month.

I don't have that close of a connection with most of my college friends. There are a few that I know well, but mostly my closest friends are furtherest away.

I still keep in touch with my high school friends. We see each other about once or twice a year for major events and such. I didn't keep in touch with anyone from my undergraduate years, but my current (and lifelong) group of friends are from graduate school.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Nearly everyone at my high school were self absorbed fops. I was friends with nearly everyone (all races, demographics, clicks, etc...) in my high school (approximately 600 students). But very few of these relationships were the kind that last. Plus, I graduated from a high school in England, so my high school friends are all over the world right now.

My college buds (the debaters and metal heads) scattered all over the place and we don't keep in touch. But what's funny is we don't have to, because when we do hook-up, it's like we've been living down the street from eachother and just never bumped into eachother. It's a guy thing and no one has any guilt about not "keeping in touch". One of the problems I have with my soon to be ex-spouse is that she tried to keep up close relationships with nearly 30 different people, which left little time for me and the kids.

Rem

Cyburbian
Apart from Mrs Rem - I see four high school friends at least once a year (Boxing Day ritual) - not bad considering we live in different cities and move in different professional circles. There are two others high school friends I see sporadically but consider them friends. University friends I have no regular contact with but will call in if I am in the area - so I guess High School wins.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I'm fortunate to have high school, college, and graduate school friends, whom I see or am in contact with on a regular basis, as lifelong friends.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
very little in touch with high school friends (X-mas cards is about it), but I intend on going to my ten year HS reunion though.

I'm not in touch with any college friends either.

As for grad school friends, the "in touchness" is confined to oblique interaction in cyburbia discussions. ;-)

I have never been good at keeping in touch with people if they are not in very close proximity.

boiker

Cyburbian
ok.. explain this concept of "high school" and "friends" and "continued contact"

I haven't spoke to my HS friends since.....umm.. graduation? I've kept decent ties with my college friends, but my family has become a big-time priority. Consequently, I haven't seen my College buddies much lately at all. :5

ludes98

Cyburbian
For me it is both. I went to college with some high school friends and have some great friends from college. My problem is all my closest friends live in San Diego or LA and I am in AZ until the water runs out. :-\

JNL

Cyburbian
The room I am moving into this weekend is being vacated by someone who was at the same uni hall of residence in 1st year.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Haven't really kept in touch with friends from high school, and as one friend put it, "Its like you fell off the face of the earth". Fine with me, you don't need friends when you've got split pers..........;)

Have kept in touch with some college friends, and usually have an old friend over on the weekend to watch the hockey game at my bar.

High school reunion, no thanks, too much ego from a bunch of jerks, trying to live up their former glory days in one night. If they call for me, I think I'm going to tell them that, [In concerned other persons voice], I've been incarcerated for killing a whole bunch of kittens[In concerned other persons voice] ;)

donk

Cyburbian
I keep in touch with a few of each. Others I wonder what happened to.

The move I am making will make it easier to reconnect with friends. While I 'll lose some the net gain will be positive for me.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I do not keep in touch with any friends from high school, but I get the occassional email with family / baby pics from the girl I took to prom (that I also went to college with).

I keep in touch with the "core" group of college friends, about 6-8 of them. Basically a few cook outs a years at this point.

Interesting topic... my network of friends has evolved dramatically over the past 2-3 years.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
High school--married one of my friends, one of our other friends was a roommate for a few years, and still in touch w/my best friend from middle school/high school, went out to Portland to visit him last year.
College--eh. Not really.
Grad school--still in close touch with them, probably will be forever even though everyone is scattered now. Phone calls, emails, occasional camping trips, etc.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
boiker said:
I haven't spoke to my HS friends since.....umm.. graduation? I've kept decent ties with my college friends, but my family has become a big-time priority. Consequently, I haven't seen my College buddies much lately at all. :5
Ditto. A couple high school friends went to the same college as me but after that we lost touch. For someone who's lived in the same area his whole life, I have very little contact with high school friends.

I am always interested to know what happened to people though. A saleswoman called recently and was selling a "where are they know" book for my class for $70 that I passed up.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Yikes, my 25th HS reunion was last year |-)

I've stayed in touch with a couple of my closest HS friends through email and one who visited last year during a 'round-the-country road trip with his kids.

I transferred in college, so I've only stayed in touch with one ex-classmate from those days.

When I was at BSU my class only had 2 grad students and the class ahead of me had 3 and they've all scattered about. I don't hear from 'em but I see their names on reports, letters, et cetera. The last class that came in while I finished my thesis was a big one but I didn't really know any of them.

Queen B

Cyburbian
No I don't keep in touch with HS or College classmates.
Never was that close to any of them, just close enough to study and get through class.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Though we live thousands of miles apart now, my closest friends are my friends from high school. I've lost touch with most of my college friends although there is one friend who I see whenever we can and the rivers are running wild.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I stay in close contact with about 4 or 5 of my high school friends - three of them are involved with the upcoming wedding. Considering that my high school had less than 150 students ( just show up and you're popular), I'd say that keeping up with five of them on a regular basis is pretty good. As far as class reunions are concerned, I grew up in a small town and most of the people didn't leave after graduation. I mean, if you see each other all the time then what's the point of a reunion. Our 10 year is coming up in 2005 and I would be shocked if anybody organized anything.

Most of my college friends have scattered to the wind, and other than my best man and another groomsman, I have no contact with any of them.

It's interesting how your relationships with others changes and evolves over time. People come in and out of your life... people move on... circles interact. Facinating stuff.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Good question. I've been out of high school for almost 16 years and my best friends are still people from high school. There is a group of about 10 of us who were always good friends and we've stuck together. We've scattered all over the place now but we manage to get together a couple times a year and talk often. Some of us married somebody else in the group and others married "outsiders" and they have always been warmly welcomed into the fold. My wife is one of the group but interestingly enough we never dated at all in school, we were just friends. As for college I only keep in touch with my former roommate. He lives in Florida now so I've only seen him like 3 times in the last 11 years. I've learned that some people come into and out of your life in a short period of time and some people stick around forever (whether you want them all to or not!)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I still hang out with my best friend from high school. Besides that I hang out with three other people from my high school, however I didn't hang out any of them in high school at all, we all became friends in college. One guy I didn't even know went to my high school until after we became friends. Most of my friends are from college or from various workplaces during and after college. I went to my 10 year reunion in 2001 and reconnected with a lot of friends, however I have only seen one of them since then. A few e-mails were exchanged but that is it.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My 10 year reunion came and went - I never got any notice. I doubt I would have gone. No one would remember me as I was "quiet." I'd like to see some old friends from high school but they're not exactly the types to show up at the reunion either.

I imagine the reunion as a re-grouping of all the young blowhards who's parents bought them sports cars and who somehow went on to good colleges while spending all of high school playing basketball or smoking pot behind Mt. Pleasant stadium. I hope they all showed up embarrased because they were all wearing the same BUM equipment shirts and rented the same Mustangs.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I find it harder and harder to connect to my HS friends. Some of them never left our hometown and we're just so different now. I do have a good friend there since I was five and I'm in his wedding this summer. Most of my friends are from college. It's been pretty easy to stay in touch with them even though they live all around the country. I'm really happy with my grad school friends here and feel like a few of them will probably be life-long friends.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
OMG! This year is my high school 20th reunion! I will not be attending. I kept in touch with a handful of them until college graduation (undergrad), but as I began moving from state to state I stopped hearing from most. I still kept in touch with one (knew since I was three years old) until a few years ago. He's in Arizona and I'm in Wisconsin.

A couple of my best friends are people I knew in college. While most of the others in our group have gotten lost over the years, we are still getting together a few times a year. Sigh. It just doesn't seem that we have the time anymore to hang out like we used to. Jobs, kids, wives, girlfriends, houses that demand our attention, and too many other things conspire against us.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I have no contact whatsoever with my classmates of HS... and it's been only a year or so... Nor do I have contact with my classmates of Architorture... Oh well, I don't give a damn anyways... never knew them... and don't regret it.