• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

2017 NCAA College Football Thread - Rankings Be Damned

I kind of enjoyed seeing PJ Fleck get beat by Maryland at home with their 4th string QB. A lot of talk from that guy but the BIG ain't the MAC. Trying to keep it up for a full season is going to be tough on the Gophers.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
Browsing through the AP polls there was a pop up story on how football (and basketball) coaches are some of the highest paid public employees. Saban over at 'Bama being the top. So the next question...do they dip into the state retirement fund too? I couldn't find any connection between K-state and Kansas retirement, but it looks like all college employees get it. That's one hell of a retirement check and they complain about lowly bus drivers making a decent retirement.

That's the case in just about every state. The state university football and basketball coaches are the highest paid. It's not exactly right but that's the world we live in. Thankfully at least most of the really big number schools are not paying the coaches with public dollars. Some do, but many do not. And the reality is that as much as these coaches make, they are in return helping their schools make a whole lot more. And that money pays for the non-revenue sports and thus creates opportunities that otherwise would not exist.

AG74683

Cyburbian
That's the case in just about every state. The state university football and basketball coaches are the highest paid. It's not exactly right but that's the world we live in. Thankfully at least most of the really big number schools are not paying the coaches with public dollars. Some do, but many do not. And the reality is that as much as these coaches make, they are in return helping their schools make a whole lot more. And that money pays for the non-revenue sports and thus creates opportunities that otherwise would not exist.
This exactly. I mean yeah they get paid a lot, but a good sports program really does add to the school. I know, I saw it first hand at Appalachian State. The football team won 2 of their 3 championships while I was there, and the university and town have definitely flourished because of it. Applications have increased 10 fold since my time. More applications result in stricter standards to get in, which results in higher quality students and a higher quality education overall. More than the immediate impact (IE increased ticket sales = increased money for the school), think about the long term impacts too. A good coach encourages star players to get better, and average players to be great. Great players get huge professional contracts, who in turn donate money back to the university.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
No argument there. The school as a whole gets better facilities and higher admission rates. I just thought it was a great story since a lot of us are public employees.

Planit

Cyburbian
So the weekend started last night with NCSU beating higher ranked Louisville by 2 touchdowns. Interesting team this Wolfpack...

The only other Top25 ranked teams playing each other this weekend is West (ByGod) Virginia v. Texas Christian.

There are some other intriguing games going on - for me they include Miami V. Florida State (a reschedule from Hurricane Irma weekend) and the Florida v. Louisiana State (which both teams are having down years, but Florida keeps edging out victories).

Hey bubba, looks like you got a good QB recruit committed for next year.

AG74683

Cyburbian
So the weekend started last night with NCSU beating higher ranked Louisville by 2 touchdowns. Interesting team this Wolfpack...
That loss to South Carolina dropped them down. If they'd have won that game, they are in the top 15. I think they'll move up to 17-19 after beating Louisville. They play Clemson on November 4th. That will be the supreme test.

Yes, the weather was horrible but Michigan showed how bad their offense really is this past Saturday against MSU. They dropped down to a more realistic #17 in the AP Poll. Hopefully we can "get right" this week against Indiana before we have to go into Happy Valley. That one is gonna be rough.

FWIW, my wife and I went to the game Saturday night. It was my first time going to a night game since they started doing them in Ann Arbor a few years ago and it was a pretty cool experience. However, I think my favorite part is that the traffic is so much better since so many people arrive in town hours in advance and make a day of it instead of everybody clogging the roads between 10:wow:0 a.m. and noon.

Yes, the weather was horrible but Michigan showed how bad their offense really is this past Saturday against MSU. They dropped down to a more realistic #17 in the AP Poll. Hopefully we can "get right" this week against Indiana before we have to go into Happy Valley. That one is gonna be rough.
Y'all should have much of a challenge against IU. It's how many days/weeks to basketball season?:r::not::wall:

FWIW, my wife and I went to the game Saturday night. It was my first time going to a night game since they started doing them in Ann Arbor a few years ago and it was a pretty cool experience. However, I think my favorite part is that the traffic is so much better since so many people arrive in town hours in advance and make a day of it instead of everybody clogging the roads between 10:wow:0 a.m. and noon.
Michigan played like crap. Like I said early in the season, they don't look like a top 10 team and this week they showed it.

On a side note, the WMU game was almost as good as the TE's sister crashing onto the field after his TD.

Planit

Cyburbian
So a 31 point underdog upset a highly ranked team...

Iowa State pulled off a nice upset over Oklahoma and they dropped 9 slots.
Penn State jumped up to #3
Michigan dropped 10 slots.
Gators, Louisville, Utah & WVU dropped out of Top25 with their performances.
NCState & UCF continue to climb.

I'm sure the WMU's TE is now embarrassed, but it will be a great family story in a few years.

There's a quick recap.

Mike Riley is dead man walking in Lincoln. The bigger question is does anybody want that job anymore? It's not the good old days in the cornbelt. OSU beat Maryland by almost 50 points and it wasn't even that close. Michigan has real issues offensively. I'll be in Happy Valley when they visit. PSU is now ranked #3 but that's too high. The defense has been playing really well but the lack of a consistent push from their offensive line is going to hurt them against OSU, and maybe even against Michigan. I said in the preseason that Purdue made a great hire in Jeff Brohm. That team is much, much better than last year with essentially the same players. A good coach can do that for you. Would love to see them make a bowl game, that would be huge progress. How much longer will Illinois pay for the failed Lovie Smith experiment? That marriage is not working out. I think right now Alabama and Clemson are head and shoulders above the rest of the country. That could change over the 2nd half of the season. I'll also say that Georgia and Auburn both look pretty darn good.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Hey bubba, looks like you got a good QB recruit committed for next year.
He's talking about enrolling in the spring, which make the QB situation interesting. If he does and is as good as advertised, I would not be surprised if Eason ends up transferring to a west coast school (unless Fromm starts looking like a true frosh against real defenses and Eason gets his starting job back).

Mike Riley is dead man walking in Lincoln. The bigger question is does anybody want that job anymore? It's not the good old days in the cornbelt...
I haven't been following Nebraska much since they've been surprisingly irrelevant since they joined the Big 10. You'd think with a school with their history, they'd be able to recruit better. I'd love to see them become a powerhouse again just because it will make the expansion of the Big 10 look a little better since I don't anticipate Rutgers or Maryland becoming contenders anytime soon.

TOFB

Cyburbian
So a 31 point underdog upset a highly ranked team...

Iowa State pulled off a nice upset over Oklahoma and they dropped 9 slots.

I approve of this message. Google Joel Lanning and remember the name. Football player.

Planit

Cyburbian
No Top25 teams are playing each other this weekend.

There are still some interesting games taking place and the possibility exists for some upsets (it seems particularly this year).

Which game scares you the most?
As for me I don't think the Gators will beat TA&M - even with the help those godawful uniforms.