2017 Tax Filings & Returns

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I used TurboTax which I use most years. I filed and on the day I received my federal refund, I found out that I had to amend it. I won't bore you with the details, basically my ex's return wouldn't go through since I was showing my oldest son as my child but not a dependent. He claims our oldest as a dependent and I claim our youngest. I spent extra time making sure I had filled it out correctly with respect to the "child but not a dependent" questions but I guess it's easier to just leave him off the return altogether like I have in previous years.
My ex and I do this in order for me to claim dependent care credit that I pay for my youngest, but she takes the claim of "dependent" for him. We haven't ever had an issue in the 3 plus years I have done taxes since getting a divorce. Kinda odd that it wouldn't let him file.

My ex and I do this in order for me to claim dependent care credit that I pay for my youngest, but she takes the claim of "dependent" for him. We haven't ever had an issue in the 3 plus years I have done taxes since getting a divorce. Kinda odd that it wouldn't let him file.
I've tried it twice, using two different tax prep methods, being very careful to check the boxes correctly, and his return was rejected both times so I had to amend mine both times. It's so irritating.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Hm, my state refund apparently hasn't even been processed yet. That seems weird.
Iowa is taking forever too, they say eight weeks in order to better prevent fraud. Last year the Des Moines Register figured out that it wasn't so much that as a cash flow issue. The state has even less money this year, so I'm guessing it will be even later.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Iowa is taking forever too, they say eight weeks in order to better [STRIKEOUT]prevent fraud[/STRIKEOUT] collect interest on your withholdings. Last year the Des Moines Register figured out that it wasn't so much that as a cash flow issue. The state has even less money this year, so I'm guessing it will be even later.
There I fixed it for you.