• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2018/2019 Quest for the Cup

kjel

Super Moderator
Seattle Fish Throwers?

Personally, I think the NHL could use some contraction, starting with getting rid of the franchises in Calgary and Winnipeg. :p
I think 32 teams is ok. I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams move around though. The Hurricanes, Coyotes, and Panthers would be IMHO the most likely to move.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
As befits a young team, the Sabres are up and down this year. After winning 10 straight, they lost 5 (2 in OT). They finally righted the ship against LA on Tuesday and should be able to beat Arizona tonight. Despite the recent skid, they're still in third place in their division (the only division where the top three teams have at least 40 points), but they've slipped 9 points back of division (and league) leading Tampa Bay.

The top line is doing great- Eichel and Skinner still have the chemistry. Eichel has 5 goals in his last 3 games, finally starting to score. The problem right now is injuries to the D corps and lack of production by all lines not centered by Eichel.

After Arizona the schedule gets tougher- the Capitals and Bruins are their opponents for 3 of the next 4 games. So they really need a win against the Yotes.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Wisconsin does have the Milwaukee Admirals in the AHL and they do really well in terms of attendance. I still don't get why Wisconsin hasn't even been considered for an NHL team.

I don't think the NHL needs contraction, I think the expansion has been very good for the league. I mean Vegas broke all sorts of records last season in terms of attendance. I think Canada needs a few more teams, starting with Quebec City. Then London and maybe Saskatoon or Regina. Houston or San Antonio should be the next US city to get an NHL team. I'm a little worried that Tom Dundon might end up moving the 'Canes to Houston since that's where he is from. IIRC, he can't move the team for at least 10 years though.
London will never happen. They're too close to Toronto, Detroit and Buffalo; those teams would never sign off on it.

Rumor has it the Coyotes have the inside track on moving to Houston. They're on a year-to-year lease and will be in the same division as the Dallas Stars after the Seattle expansion. Houston would have a cross-state rival with the Stars which would probably spur attendance.

kjel

Super Moderator
As befits a young team, the Sabres are up and down this year. After winning 10 straight, they lost 5 (2 in OT). They finally righted the ship against LA on Tuesday and should be able to beat Arizona tonight. Despite the recent skid, they're still in third place in their division (the only division where the top three teams have at least 40 points), but they've slipped 9 points back of division (and league) leading Tampa Bay.

The top line is doing great- Eichel and Skinner still have the chemistry. Eichel has 5 goals in his last 3 games, finally starting to score. The problem right now is injuries to the D corps and lack of production by all lines not centered by Eichel.

After Arizona the schedule gets tougher- the Capitals and Bruins are their opponents for 3 of the next 4 games. So they really need a win against the Yotes.
I'm glad that Eichel is coming in to his own. He was a great draft pick.

Devils had a mixed bag of tricks on their California tour. Win against the Kings, an ugly loss against Ducks, and giveaway to the Sharks.

They play the Golden Knights tomorrow night, I'm going to that game.

kjel

Super Moderator
My team still sucks but they beat the Flyers on Saturday which I saw in person and they beat the Blackhawks last night in a pretty wild game.

Here are the Devils scoring on Cam Ward 5x in a row

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Huzzah! I hate the Flyers.

The Sabres have now dropped out of a playoff spot. If they don't get their act together, they'll miss the postseason yet again. I'm still optimistic though. Just like we knew their 10-game winning streak wouldn't last forever, I don't think this funk will either. They need to get back to winning hockey, then make a valiant charge at the end of the season.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Huzzah! I hate the Flyers.

The Sabres have now dropped out of a playoff spot. If they don't get their act together, they'll miss the postseason yet again. I'm still optimistic though. Just like we knew their 10-game winning streak wouldn't last forever, I don't think this funk will either. They need to get back to winning hockey, then make a valiant charge at the end of the season.
They'll be fine. They will make the playoffs this year. It's a good team with solid play in every facet.

'Canes similarly have been on fire as of late. They beat the Sabres a few days ago with Skinner's return to Raleigh. Last night they got wrecked by the Rangers though, 6-2. I turned the game off after the 6th goal. They struggle at MSG for some reason. You have to go back to 2010 to see their last victory there.

Even if they don't make the playoffs this year, I'm pleased with how they've been playing. The young talent is absolutely insane. Aho is one of the best players in the league, no doubt top 25, and he will be a top 10 center within a year or two. Svechnikov has shown some real promise, but takes A LOT of penalties. He's currently at 22 PIM and is 3rd in the league in that regard. Not good. The AHL callups this year have been outstanding. Bishop, Maenalanen, and McKegg have all shown promise. The Checkers are also the top team in the AHL. Not by a slim margin either. Last I checked they were a full 10 points ahead of the second place team in the entire league. Goaltending down there is elite at the AHL level. Hopefully that transfers to the NHL club. We desperately need a top goalie. Mrazek and McElinney have been good, but we need more consistency there.

Rumor is that Dougie Hamilton is on the way out, possibly involved in a trade for Vladimir Tarasenko.

kjel

Super Moderator
Devils were steamrolled by Columbus last night. I didn't watch and I turned off the radio broadcast after it went 0-3. With Taylor Hall injured and the goalie situation it's not going to get better. This off season might see some actual trades happen.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, the Sabres were steamrolled by the Oilers a couple nights ago. The Sabres opened the scoring a minute into the game but, as has been happening during this downturn, they had amazing bounces go against them. They ended up losing 7-2, despite badly outshooting the Oilers. And you can't say it was lousy goaltending; it was just a case of amazingly bad puck luck.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes trade Victor Rask to the Wild in exchange for Nino Niederreiter. I really like this trade. Both players are having a down year, but Nino has much more upside. Rask just never materialized into the player we need. I've always been a fan of Nino's game too, I think he'll fit in well. A little bit bigger body who plays a slightly more physical game with the potential to add some much needed scoring.

The Wild trading for a center also probably means that Eric Staal is out soon, probably before the deadline. Where he goes, no one knows, but the rumor mill is already starting that a return to Carolina might be in the works. The Wild desperately need draft picks to get more depth in their club, so I could see us giving up a 2nd rounder and maybe a prospect (NOT NECAS). I'm just not sure Eric is what we need. TBH I'm not a huge fan of Jordan Staal anymore. He's just doesn't really fit anymore. He's a great two way center, and one of the best face off centers in the league. He's much stronger defensively than offensively though, which isn't really what we need right now. He's a forecheck monster, but I don't think the team is designed to be all that strong on the forecheck, Dundon wants offense which means not losing the puck in the offensive zone to begin with. Jordan could add considerable skill to teams with coaches that rely heavily on the forecheck (Hitchcock in Edmonton is the king of that stuff).

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Sabres start their bye week after tonight's game at Vancouver. I hope they can do it on a winning streak after beating Calgary on Thursday, a game in which the Sabres had precisely two shots in the third period and one in OT, all of which found the back of the net.

It will be interesting to see if the Sabres make any moves. They are on the outside looking in, but right there. If they have a hot streak after the break they should at least be back in a wildcards spot. They might make a trade but I don't anticipate a blockbuster; more likely they'll do more of a depth deal. I think the plan is to continue to develop the talent in Rochester and as that matures then the team will improve. We'll see.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The Wings need to learn that there is 3 periods... not 1.

Personally, my only hope is the Illich family gets angry with the losses and at the end of the season they call Stevie Y and ask him if the wants the GM job.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Nino put up more goals in one period against the Oilers than Victor Rask did the entire season. I'd say the trade worked out already.

7-4 over the Oilers, not bad, although we gave up a ton of goals in the preceding games (6 goals against the Rangers, 4 against the Sens IIRC).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Last night the Caps/Sharks game was crazy. SJ scored a goal with 1 second left to tie it, then won it in OT.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The break is over.

The Sabres had their bye week prior to the All-Star Break, so going into last night's game it was 11 nights with no Sabres hockey. They beat Columbus 5-4 so they got off on the right foot. Tonight is the night I've been waiting for all season: The Sabres' trip to Dallas to take on the Starts, and I'm going to the game tonight.

Go Sabres!

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes shutout the Penguins in Pittsburgh last night, 4-0 win. Buffalo also won so the playoff standings don't really change too much, both 3 points out of a playoff spot. Goal differential has been reduced to -3 which is fantastic considering we started this year near -20.

kjel

Super Moderator
Devils crapped out 1-5 against the Kings. I watched the first two periods which was tied up at 1-1 and then the Kings went on a run during the 3rd. Some big names missing from the lineup due to injuries which isn't helping: Hall is still on the IR list, so is Vatanen who suffered a concussion from a nasty hit from Brassard.

Ovechkin has now surpassed Fedorov as the Russian born player with the most points.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So Coach Housley ran the forwards' names through the salad shooter and the result actually worked pretty good. Top right wing Sam Reinhart was moved down to the third line, leading goal scorer Jeff Skinner on the second line, giving Jack Eichel new linemates on the top line. The result was one of Reinhart's better games this year: all three members of his line scored, he had a goal, an assist and the shootout winner. (One of his linemates, Evan Rodrigues, scored on the power play on a feed from Eichel, but he also made a nifty play on the goal that that Reinhart assisted on.)

kjel

Super Moderator
Devils traded Brian Boyle to the Preds for a second round pick. This one hurts. He's an awesome guy and been a great addition to the team on and off ice over the past two seasons.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
'Canes shutout the Penguins in Pittsburgh last night, 4-0 win. Buffalo also won so the playoff standings don't really change too much, both 3 points out of a playoff spot. Goal differential has been reduced to -3 which is fantastic considering we started this year near -20.
Big game for the Canes in Buffalo tonight. Which one is a contender? Which is a pretender?

kjel

Super Moderator
Big game for the Canes in Buffalo tonight. Which one is a contender? Which is a pretender?
Sounds like a more interesting game to watch than the Devils-Islanders game tonight.

AG74683

Cyburbian
IMO this game likely decides what team is on the playoff track. 'Canes realistically need to beat Buffalo tonight in regulation as well as the next time they meet in Raleigh. OT win or loss does nothing really, because Buffalo holds the tiebreaker.

I think the team that likely spoils everything is Philly though. They've won their last 8 in a row.

AG74683

Cyburbian
IMO this game likely decides what team is on the playoff track. 'Canes realistically need to beat Buffalo tonight in regulation as well as the next time they meet in Raleigh. OT win or loss does nothing really, because Buffalo holds the tiebreaker.

I think the team that likely spoils everything is Philly though. They've won their last 8 in a row.
Well crap, it's a win but it was OT unfortunately. Doesn't change the tiebreaker at all I don't think. Either way it was a fantastic game!! Sam Reinheart blasted the goal tending for the Sabres publicly after the game which was pretty lame. I think the goalies for both teams did what they could, there were so many defensive breakdowns for both teams. I love Jeff Skinner and I'm really happy he's got his fire back, but he was responsible for at least 4 goals last night, 2 he scored, 2 he let the 'Canes score when he didn't mark his man. McKegg had two shots to get his goal in and he was basically unmarked right at the net. No one even saw him.

All told, it looked like a playoff game to me. Philly lost so their streak is over. Blue Jackets won 4-2 in the desert though so the gap for the 'Canes remains 3 points, 4 for the Sabres.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yeah, he caught a bunch of flack for that. I'm not sure I disagree with him, other than it goes against the unwritten code not to call out teammates to the media. Ullmark has the best save percentage of any goalie prospect drafted by the Sabres and after playing his first 50 games with them: .914. But that game was a klunker for him with an .800 save percentage. Of course there have been games where the Sabres offense has failed to show up too, so there's plenty of blame to go around. It's a shame when a your goalie is named a start of the game but you still lost because he had no goal support.

Still, I think the Sabres are on the right track. They have a lot of young players in key spots, including Ullmark at goal, Mittelstadt at 2C, Tage Thompson at wherever they decided to fit him in (I'm very high on Tage but he is still learning). There are three or four "placeholder" veterans on the team, and just as many youngsters getting OJT at the NHL level. When some more talent makes it up from Rochester and they can jettison some of the dinosaurs.... and everyone gets a chance to gel, I think they'll be quite good. When they had the 10-game winning streak we thought it was this season, but they're probably still a year or two out from being in the playoff mix.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Bleh the win streak ended against the Devils. The team looked a little lackadaisical and slow. That''s gonna put us behind a little. Still 1 point out of Pittsburgh's spot, but every loss makes it less about controlling our own destiny and more about relying on other teams.

Scott Darling took a personal leave of absence from the team (well the Checkers). Not sure what will happen with that. Waddell let him take a week off to "collect his thoughts". He still has 2 years left on his contract.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Scott Darling took a personal leave of absence from the team (well the Checkers). Not sure what will happen with that. Waddell let him take a week off to "collect his thoughts". He still has 2 years left on his contract.
Waddell...as in Don Waddell? Why on earth did anyone hire him after the clusterf*ck of a franchise he put together for the Thrashers?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Waddell...as in Don Waddell? Why on earth did anyone hire him after the clusterf*ck of a franchise he put together for the Thrashers?
Same guy. I was completely floored when they announced that he would be taking over as GM and team president, but TBH he hasn't been THAT bad so far. The trades they've made have been mostly reasonable (with the exception of the garbage Jeff Skinner trade). The guys brought in from Calgary have all worked out for both teams and the Nino/Rask trade was basically grand theft.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes are looking more like a playoff team every day. They now sit in the final WC spot for the Eastern Conference.

Don Cherry criticized the Storm Surge celebrations referring to the team as "a bunch of jerks". The 'Canes social media has eaten it up. There's shirts now, memes, all sorts of stuff. And the last Storm Surge was fantastic. They had music queued up and the whole team did the limbo under a hockey stick.

EDIT* Well damn looks like the 'Canes slipped back out of the WC spot. Pens won and moved back in.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Just when the Sabres are swirling down the drain, a clot of hair clogs things up. They handled the defending champion Capitals 5-2 this afternoon, on the strength of a Sam Reinhart hat trick. And they made it look relatively easy. If they could play like this regularly they'd be a playoff contender for sure.

Reactions: Dan

AG74683

Cyburbian
2 games with Dallas on the schedule this year, both were shutouts. Mrazek got the first one, McElhinney with number 2. McElhinney is ranked 5th in GAA at 2.25, Mrazek is at 18 with 2.65. CMc is also ranked 9th in save percentage at 0.923.

These two guys have played out of their damn minds, and both were cast offs from other teams. It's wild that our main guy, Scott Darling, isn't even currently with the team in any capacity. The Checkers goalies are outrageous too.

I hope they leave the team exactly as it is. No trades, no acquisition, just keep the chemistry. The locker room is really fitting together well right now, and Jordan Staal is back from his lengthy absence with that concussion.

kjel

Super Moderator
Devils were selling this weekend.

Out:
Backup goalie Keith Kinkaid to Columbus for a 5th round pick. I feel bad for him because it was a basically a two cent trade.

Marcus Johansson to Boston for 2019 second round + 2020 fourth round picks. This should be interesting since he took an elbow to the head from Marchand last year which led to a concussion and missing 53 games.
Ben Lovejoy to Dallas for Connor Carrick and a 2019 third round pick. Carrick played his first game as a Devil last night and had two assists.

Brian Boyle was traded to Nashville a couple of weeks ago for a 2019 second round pick. Hard loss for the Devils as he was an outstanding guy on and off the ice. He won the shootout for the Preds last night.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes stayed pat and didn't move a single piece besides Cliff Pu. I'm happy with it. The team has real chemistry and there was no need to move anyone around. Michael Ferland is likely gone at the end of the season, but it made no sense to move him.

kjel

Super Moderator
'Canes stayed pat and didn't move a single piece besides Cliff Pu. I'm happy with it. The team has real chemistry and there was no need to move anyone around. Michael Ferland is likely gone at the end of the season, but it made no sense to move him.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Devils have made very minor trades last several seasons despite not being awesome. I appreciate GM Ray Shero taking a long range approach rather than snapping up crap contracts and players.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I really need for Ken Holland to just be the VP of operations and for someone to call Stevie Y and make him an offer than he can't refuse to be the GM next year.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
And Pu wasn't even in the NHL, right? It seems like every team that gets him wants to fling Pu somewhere else.

The Sabres acquired a piece more for the future than for this season in Brandon Montour from Anaheim (for AHL D-Man Brendan Guhle and one of their 1st round picks). Both Montour and Guhle dipped this season compared to past years so it's kind of a change-of-scenery trade for them individually. Of course Montour is already a steady NHLer with good offensive upside, where Guhle has had trouble cracking the NHL lineup with the Sabres.

Speaking of not being able to crack the lineup, they also got rid of D-Man Nathan Beaulieu to the Jets for a 6th round pick. I think Beaulieu is a pretty good player and had some good games this year prior to suffering an injury. He's just returning to form but he hasn't really established himself with the Sabres and publicly complained about the lack of ice time, so they dealt him to give him a chance to play (for a contender, no less).

6 points out of a playoff spot means it's unlikely the Sabres will sneak in, so the Montour deal is more about next year. It's also about stealing him away from the Maple Leafs who were also supposedly interested in him. The cross-border rivalry between the Sabres and Leafs is starting to heat up. Even though the Leafs turned out to be too much for the Sabres last night, it was a hard fought game on both sides.

AG74683

Cyburbian
And Pu wasn't even in the NHL, right? It seems like every team that gets him wants to fling Pu somewhere else.
Nope, he never made it up. He played 44 games for the Checkers and really didn't amount to much. 1 goal and 5 assists. He was actually demoted to our ECHL affiliate (Florida Everblades).

I'm still not that upset with the trade. Skinner needed a fresh start and he got it. He's having a career year with a team he seems to enjoy.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Another win, 6-1 against the Kings. I dunno if anyone has been following the saga of Don Cherry vs. The Storm Surge, but it hit a record high last night.

Basically Cherry hates the 'Canes post game celebration, "The Storm Surge" and called them a bunch of jerks on TSN a few weeks ago. Last night they retreated to the locker room before The Storm Surge and came blasting out while the ice was lit up with "Bunch of Jerks" from the new projector screen system. They also threw out "Bunch of Jerks" shirts to the crowd.

Epic!

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Love it.

The Sabres have several Swedish players and I've watched some Youtubes of their play over there. Apparently post-game celebrations are common there. I wouldn't mind seeing more of it here, but any team that picks up on it now would be "copying the Hurricanes" so other teams are probably not sure they should follow.

I think The Storm Surge is great for engaging the fans, so I'm in favor of it.

Over in Philly, they have a new mascot, Gritty. Even though I hate the Flyers, I think Gritty is pretty awesome. Again, another way to engage the fans.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Love it.

but any team that picks up on it now would be "copying the Hurricanes" so other teams are probably not sure they should follow.

I think The Storm Surge is great for engaging the fans, so I'm in favor of it.

Over in Philly, they have a new mascot, Gritty. Even though I hate the Flyers, I think Gritty is pretty awesome. Again, another way to engage the fans.
The only way is to make it infinitely more absurd. I suggested to the 'Canes official "Storm Surge Suggestions" that Ric Flair descend from the rafters and then body slams an effigy of Don Cherry. Like the Sabres should figure out how to bring an actual Buffalo on to the ice with a man brandishing swords.

And Gritty is the best. I think he is the perfect representation of Philly.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Nope, he never made it up. He played 44 games for the Checkers and really didn't amount to much. 1 goal and 5 assists. He was actually demoted to our ECHL affiliate (Florida Everblades).

I'm still not that upset with the trade. Skinner needed a fresh start and he got it. He's having a career year with a team he seems to enjoy.
Within the Sabres depth chart, Pu was widely believed to be eventual NHL top-6 (or at least middle-6) material. Looks like the change of scenery to the Canes org set him back.

From what I read about Skinner in Carolina, he wanted and thought he was worthy of top line minutes, but rarely got it because he was not viewed as defensively responsible enough. That seems a little short-sighted to me; the guy's produced well over his career. You would have thought the Canes would have tried to take advantage of his natural abilities and put him on a line where he wouldn't be depended on for his defense. Having said that, he's frequently the first forward back for the Sabres when a rush goes the other way. During sustained defensive zone time, he's not physical enough, but that's just not his game. Eichel is fairly physical, and Reinhart (the on-again, off-again third member of Buffalo's top line) has developed into a pretty solid physical player after getting tossed around like a rag doll early in his career.

Meanwhile, the Sabres are back to swirling around the drain again. I think at this point they have too many transitional players that the Sabres are just waiting to time out of their contracts; when those players are supplanted by the youth movement the Sabres will improve. Every year they jettison one or two of those contracts. Meanwhile in Rochester, the Amerks are playing well, and playing a system similar to Housley's system, so when they come up they should be able to step right in and perform. Jason Botterill has stated he likes to build from the farm system up. It takes patience to do that though.... I hope the Sabres arrive soon.

Yes, the absurdity, matching that of internet memes, is what's needed. A team can build its own meme subculture, then anyone like Don Cherry who criticizes it can be told, "It's a Carolina thing- you just don't get it."

Speaking of Skinner, he was awkwardly tripped in the second period of the game against the Capitals recently. He tried to scoot off the ice because his leg was in too much pain.

Legs just aren't meant to bend that way. We were all certain he was done for the year.

He played the third period of that game and has shown no ill effects. He's becoming legendary in Buffalo.

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Very scary head first crash into the boards by Mirco Mueller during the Devils-Flames game last night. He was stretchered off the ice and went to the hospital. Thank goodness Newark has two excellent hospitals within 5 minutes of the arena. Follow up reports say he's able to move extremities, sit up, and conscious.

AG74683

Cyburbian
He's been released from the hospital which is great. No update on if there were lasting injuries.
I remember in 2013, before they changed the icing rule (and IIRC this was WHY it was changed), Joni Pitkanen crashed feet first into the wall at all out speed. Cracked his heel in half, and he never played a game in the NHL again.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The only way is to make it infinitely more absurd. I suggested to the 'Canes official "Storm Surge Suggestions" that Ric Flair descend from the rafters and then body slams an effigy of Don Cherry. Like the Sabres should figure out how to bring an actual Buffalo on to the ice with a man brandishing swords.

And Gritty is the best. I think he is the perfect representation of Philly.

I was once told that when you are critized by an idiot, keep doing it. They took it and freaking ran with it and I love it. I want to get one of the Bunch of Jerks t-shirt and will support the Cain’s in the playoffs since the wings are out.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
IIRC this was WHY it was changed
Years ago my cousin did that, jammed his leg into the boards, broke all three major bones in his leg- multiple compression fractures. He never played hockey again either.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was once told that when you are critized by an idiot, keep doing it. They took it and freaking ran with it and I love it. I want to get one of the Bunch of Jerks t-shirt and will support the Cain’s in the playoffs since the wings are out.
Not a sure thing for playoffs yet. I think tonight will be a critical test. The Blues are as red hot as you can get (next to the Bruins who didn't lose in regulation during the entire month of February - 11-0-2!!). If they handle the Blues or even get it to OT or SO, I'll be happy. Faulk and de Haan are out for tonight. Faulk, for all the hype surrounding him years ago, is not too difficult to replace with our current stock of defensemen in the AHL. de Haan has been really quite good and will be more difficult.

Pittsburgh, Carolina, Montreal, and Columbus will be battling the rest of the season to secure that wildcard spot. Honestly, Columbus is the team to beat right now. Their moves at the deadline were fantastic and I think they'll be a force. It's a great hockey year because so many teams who usually aren't in the equation are in playoff spots. After 10 years the 'Canes have a hockey team of value. After losing Tavares, the Islanders are tearing it up, Lehner and Griess are two of the top goalies in the league. The Flames are doing great (good for Bill Peters, Elias Lindholm, and Noah Hanifin!). Vegas continuing their success from last year. It'll be interesting when the playoffs get here.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Not a sure thing for playoffs yet. I think tonight will be a critical test. The Blues are as red hot as you can get (next to the Bruins who didn't lose in regulation during the entire month of February - 11-0-2!!). If they handle the Blues or even get it to OT or SO, I'll be happy. Faulk and de Haan are out for tonight. Faulk, for all the hype surrounding him years ago, is not too difficult to replace with our current stock of defensemen in the AHL. de Haan has been really quite good and will be more difficult.

Pittsburgh, Carolina, Montreal, and Columbus will be battling the rest of the season to secure that wildcard spot. Honestly, Columbus is the team to beat right now. Their moves at the deadline were fantastic and I think they'll be a force. It's a great hockey year because so many teams who usually aren't in the equation are in playoff spots. After 10 years the 'Canes have a hockey team of value. After losing Tavares, the Islanders are tearing it up, Lehner and Griess are two of the top goalies in the league. The Flames are doing great (good for Bill Peters, Elias Lindholm, and Noah Hanifin!). Vegas continuing their success from last year. It'll be interesting when the playoffs get here.

Cains will make it in... I have confidence. I need to have confidence. Although it does feel dirty cheering for a southern team.