• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2018/2019 Quest for the Cup

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh my God. 5 - 2 over the Blues! For some reason Evander Holyfield was at the game and the Storm Surge was him on the ice boxing Jordan Martinook.

kjel

Super Moderator
Ted Lindsay died :(

And this crazy shootout win yesterday by the Caps against the Rangers.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Went to the Hurricanes alumni game on Sunday. It's two teams, half of each team is made up of past Hurricanes players. The other half are folks who donate money to the Hurricanes Foundation to play in the game. We've gone for the last 4 or 5 years. It's interesting because the donors are almost always the same folks so you get to sort of know them too.

This year's game included:

Rod Brind'Amour (yes, the coach played!! - Blues, Flyers, Hurricanes)
Bryan Bickell - (Blackhawks/Hurricanes)
Sean Hill - (Canadiens, Ducks, Senators, Hurricanes, Blues, Panthers, Islanders, Wild)
Bates Battaglia (Hurricanes, Avalanche, Capitals, Maple Leafs)
Jesse Boulerice - (Flyers, Hurricanes, Blues, Oilers)
Shane Willis - (Hurricanes, Lightning)
Robert Kron - (Canucks, Whalers, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets)
Steve Rice - (Rangers, Oilers, Whalers, Hurricanes)
Jeff Daniels - (Penguins, Panthers, Whalers, Hurricanes, Predators)
Erik Cole - (Hurricanes, Oilers, Canadiens, Stars, Red Wings)
Tim Brent - (Ducks, Penguins, Blackhawks, Maple Leafs, Hurricanes)

and probably a few others I just can't remember right now. It's always a lot of fun. This year was a little bit of a let down though because John Forslund wasn't giving the play by play. I think he was out of town on an NBC gig, maybe Stars/Wild.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I can remember going to an alumni game when we lived in Detroit. Got to see Alex Delvecchio play. Come to think of it, I've seen 2/3 of the Production Line play live... saw Howe play with the Detroit Vipers when he was 69.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Hartford Whalers were back on the ice last night against the Bruins.

Actually the Hurricanes wore HW throwbacks in Boston. I like to see that kind of tribute, especially near their old stomping grounds.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Actually the Hurricanes wore HW throwbacks in Boston. I like to see that kind of tribute, especially near their old stomping grounds.
That payoff picture is extremely tight for the Cains right now. It can go from being one of the top 3 in the metro division to not being in the playoffs at all with one loss. Carolina, Pittsburg, and Montreal all have 79 points right now and Columbus has 77.

AG74683

Cyburbian

They looked like butt last night too. I can't believe they managed to get that game to OT and snag a point. Unfortunately all the opponents we needed to lose won instead. That one point made a huge difference though.

The Hartford jerseys are slick. It was a pretty chippy game too, just like old times between the Whalers and Bruins. I like that Dundon is actually acknowledging the history of the team. Most forget where they came from and ignore the history.

'Canes have one of the toughest schedules remaining in the league, so it'll be tight, especially if they play as poorly as they did last night. Aho and Williams saved the day. Justin Faulk looked like a straight beer league player in OT. It was embarrassing.

kjel

Super Moderator
Devils lost in a shootout against the Blue Jackets. I am not mad at this because basically it's Andy Greene and Travis Zajac playing with the AHL squad.

Tortorella would have been livid had they lost. They're 2 points out of a wild card spot right now.

I think the Devils and the Red Wings are having a competition for the tank.

kjel

Super Moderator
Devils got the living crap beaten out of them by the Flames the other night. 4-9 :eek:

Last night they were the Oilers Spoilers unexpectedly winning 6-3 :ha:

Best clip of the night was Noesen blowing kisses to Nugent-Hopkins in the penalty box.

AG74683

Cyburbian
...and the Sabres are desperately chasing both of them.
Super disappointing. I know as a 'Canes fan I am supposed to despise Buffalo, but I just can't, especially with Jeff Skinner up there now.

We keep moving between Wild Card 1 and Metro 3. I'd prefer Metro 3 to avoid the 'Caps, but we've struggled against the Islanders all season. Tomorrow's game against CBJ is incredibly important.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I know as a 'Canes fan I am supposed to despise Buffalo, but
What? You don't despise rioting, pillaging, baby-eating marauders?

Anyway, in the game the other night Carl Soderberg of the Avs and Jack Eichel wee going for the puck. Eichel braced for the hit while Soderberg lunged for the puck, lowering his head to the level of Jack's elbow and skated right into him. Naturally they suspended Jack for two games. The first was against Dallas and the Sabres looked very anemic. Tonight they play Pittsburgh and I don't have high expectations. One thing we found out with the suspension: Eichel really is the leader of this team. Yeah, they've been losing *with* him, but gosh they look terrible without him.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Super disappointing. I know as a 'Canes fan I am supposed to despise Buffalo, but I just can't, especially with Jeff Skinner up there now.

We keep moving between Wild Card 1 and Metro 3. I'd prefer Metro 3 to avoid the 'Caps, but we've struggled against the Islanders all season. Tomorrow's game against CBJ is incredibly important.
The eastern conference WC is crazy right now. It can swing significantly in the next few weeks.

Buffalo needs to beat Pittsburgh tonight
The Islanders need to beat the Canadiens tonight
The Cains need to beat the bluejackets tomorrow

The Red Wings just need to finish better than Ottawa.

On a side note, do you think this is the year that a Canadian team will win the cup, or do they still hate winning hockey games? I think the only real contenders are Calgary and Toronto.

kjel

Super Moderator
The eastern conference WC is crazy right now. It can swing significantly in the next few weeks.

Buffalo needs to beat Pittsburgh tonight
The Islanders need to beat the Canadiens tonight
The Cains need to beat the bluejackets tomorrow

The Red Wings just need to finish better than Ottawa.

On a side note, do you think this is the year that a Canadian team will win the cup, or do they still hate winning hockey games? I think the only real contenders are Calgary and Toronto.
I think Tampa Bay will go all the way this year.

kjel

Super Moderator
Felt that way the other night watching the Devils-Flames game. End of the second tied Devils were up 4-3 and the Flames came roaring back scoring SIX goals in the 3rd. Final score 9-4 :(

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Super disappointed the Cain’s lost to the BJs last night. I hope they beat Buffalo tonight.

On the other hand, I am thrilled that the wings won a game, even if they have zero chance of making the playoffs.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Super disappointed the Cain’s lost to the BJs last night. I hope they beat Buffalo tonight.

On the other hand, I am thrilled that the wings won a game, even if they have zero chance of making the playoffs.
They really struggle coming off long breaks, and it showed. It didn't help that Bob was playing out of his mind though. They handled Buffalo well. For the first time in 10 years I feel confident we can win games against teams that are perceived to be "below" us. We still have an incredibly tough schedule left. If we do make the playoffs, it'll probably be a matchup against either the 'Caps or the Islanders, and we've struggled with both teams. I think we have a little bit better shot against the 'Caps though.

kjel

Super Moderator
After going down 0-2 headed into the 3rd against Vancouver, the Devils managed to tie it up and pushed it to OT. Not a great OT from either team and ended up with a shootout. Devils shockingly won with a shootout goal by Severson. I think he was shocked he scored. Naturally we posted a goose egg in the next game against Colorado.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Eh. The Sabres finally ended their losing streak, beating St. Louis in a shootout. They almost ended it in OT, when Sam Reinhart clanked it off the post as time expired (it probably would have counted but it was literally at 0.1 second when it hit the post.)