• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

2018/2019 Quest for the Cup

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oh my God. 5 - 2 over the Blues! For some reason Evander Holyfield was at the game and the Storm Surge was him on the ice boxing Jordan Martinook.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ted Lindsay died :(

And this crazy shootout win yesterday by the Caps against the Rangers.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Went to the Hurricanes alumni game on Sunday. It's two teams, half of each team is made up of past Hurricanes players. The other half are folks who donate money to the Hurricanes Foundation to play in the game. We've gone for the last 4 or 5 years. It's interesting because the donors are almost always the same folks so you get to sort of know them too.

This year's game included:

Rod Brind'Amour (yes, the coach played!! - Blues, Flyers, Hurricanes)
Bryan Bickell - (Blackhawks/Hurricanes)
Sean Hill - (Canadiens, Ducks, Senators, Hurricanes, Blues, Panthers, Islanders, Wild)
Bates Battaglia (Hurricanes, Avalanche, Capitals, Maple Leafs)
Jesse Boulerice - (Flyers, Hurricanes, Blues, Oilers)
Shane Willis - (Hurricanes, Lightning)
Robert Kron - (Canucks, Whalers, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets)
Steve Rice - (Rangers, Oilers, Whalers, Hurricanes)
Jeff Daniels - (Penguins, Panthers, Whalers, Hurricanes, Predators)
Erik Cole - (Hurricanes, Oilers, Canadiens, Stars, Red Wings)
Tim Brent - (Ducks, Penguins, Blackhawks, Maple Leafs, Hurricanes)

and probably a few others I just can't remember right now. It's always a lot of fun. This year was a little bit of a let down though because John Forslund wasn't giving the play by play. I think he was out of town on an NBC gig, maybe Stars/Wild.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I can remember going to an alumni game when we lived in Detroit. Got to see Alex Delvecchio play. Come to think of it, I've seen 2/3 of the Production Line play live... saw Howe play with the Detroit Vipers when he was 69.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Hartford Whalers were back on the ice last night against the Bruins.

Actually the Hurricanes wore HW throwbacks in Boston. I like to see that kind of tribute, especially near their old stomping grounds.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

Actually the Hurricanes wore HW throwbacks in Boston. I like to see that kind of tribute, especially near their old stomping grounds.
That payoff picture is extremely tight for the Cains right now. It can go from being one of the top 3 in the metro division to not being in the playoffs at all with one loss. Carolina, Pittsburg, and Montreal all have 79 points right now and Columbus has 77.

AG74683

Cyburbian

They looked like butt last night too. I can't believe they managed to get that game to OT and snag a point. Unfortunately all the opponents we needed to lose won instead. That one point made a huge difference though.

The Hartford jerseys are slick. It was a pretty chippy game too, just like old times between the Whalers and Bruins. I like that Dundon is actually acknowledging the history of the team. Most forget where they came from and ignore the history.

'Canes have one of the toughest schedules remaining in the league, so it'll be tight, especially if they play as poorly as they did last night. Aho and Williams saved the day. Justin Faulk looked like a straight beer league player in OT. It was embarrassing.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils lost in a shootout against the Blue Jackets. I am not mad at this because basically it's Andy Greene and Travis Zajac playing with the AHL squad.

Tortorella would have been livid had they lost. They're 2 points out of a wild card spot right now.

I think the Devils and the Red Wings are having a competition for the tank.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils got the living crap beaten out of them by the Flames the other night. 4-9 :eek:

Last night they were the Oilers Spoilers unexpectedly winning 6-3 :ha:

Best clip of the night was Noesen blowing kisses to Nugent-Hopkins in the penalty box.

AG74683

Cyburbian
...and the Sabres are desperately chasing both of them.
Super disappointing. I know as a 'Canes fan I am supposed to despise Buffalo, but I just can't, especially with Jeff Skinner up there now.

We keep moving between Wild Card 1 and Metro 3. I'd prefer Metro 3 to avoid the 'Caps, but we've struggled against the Islanders all season. Tomorrow's game against CBJ is incredibly important.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I know as a 'Canes fan I am supposed to despise Buffalo, but
What? You don't despise rioting, pillaging, baby-eating marauders?

Anyway, in the game the other night Carl Soderberg of the Avs and Jack Eichel wee going for the puck. Eichel braced for the hit while Soderberg lunged for the puck, lowering his head to the level of Jack's elbow and skated right into him. Naturally they suspended Jack for two games. The first was against Dallas and the Sabres looked very anemic. Tonight they play Pittsburgh and I don't have high expectations. One thing we found out with the suspension: Eichel really is the leader of this team. Yeah, they've been losing *with* him, but gosh they look terrible without him.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Super disappointing. I know as a 'Canes fan I am supposed to despise Buffalo, but I just can't, especially with Jeff Skinner up there now.

We keep moving between Wild Card 1 and Metro 3. I'd prefer Metro 3 to avoid the 'Caps, but we've struggled against the Islanders all season. Tomorrow's game against CBJ is incredibly important.
The eastern conference WC is crazy right now. It can swing significantly in the next few weeks.

Buffalo needs to beat Pittsburgh tonight
The Islanders need to beat the Canadiens tonight
The Cains need to beat the bluejackets tomorrow

The Red Wings just need to finish better than Ottawa.

On a side note, do you think this is the year that a Canadian team will win the cup, or do they still hate winning hockey games? I think the only real contenders are Calgary and Toronto.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The eastern conference WC is crazy right now. It can swing significantly in the next few weeks.

Buffalo needs to beat Pittsburgh tonight
The Islanders need to beat the Canadiens tonight
The Cains need to beat the bluejackets tomorrow

The Red Wings just need to finish better than Ottawa.

On a side note, do you think this is the year that a Canadian team will win the cup, or do they still hate winning hockey games? I think the only real contenders are Calgary and Toronto.
I think Tampa Bay will go all the way this year.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Felt that way the other night watching the Devils-Flames game. End of the second tied Devils were up 4-3 and the Flames came roaring back scoring SIX goals in the 3rd. Final score 9-4 :(

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Super disappointed the Cain’s lost to the BJs last night. I hope they beat Buffalo tonight.

On the other hand, I am thrilled that the wings won a game, even if they have zero chance of making the playoffs.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Super disappointed the Cain’s lost to the BJs last night. I hope they beat Buffalo tonight.

On the other hand, I am thrilled that the wings won a game, even if they have zero chance of making the playoffs.
They really struggle coming off long breaks, and it showed. It didn't help that Bob was playing out of his mind though. They handled Buffalo well. For the first time in 10 years I feel confident we can win games against teams that are perceived to be "below" us. We still have an incredibly tough schedule left. If we do make the playoffs, it'll probably be a matchup against either the 'Caps or the Islanders, and we've struggled with both teams. I think we have a little bit better shot against the 'Caps though.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
After going down 0-2 headed into the 3rd against Vancouver, the Devils managed to tie it up and pushed it to OT. Not a great OT from either team and ended up with a shootout. Devils shockingly won with a shootout goal by Severson. I think he was shocked he scored. Naturally we posted a goose egg in the next game against Colorado.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Eh. The Sabres finally ended their losing streak, beating St. Louis in a shootout. They almost ended it in OT, when Sam Reinhart clanked it off the post as time expired (it probably would have counted but it was literally at 0.1 second when it hit the post.)

AG74683

Cyburbian
Canes beat the Pens 3-2 in a shootout win. They then decided to go Duck Hunting:
That was one of the best hockey games I've seen in years. It was a full playoff game from start to finish. Petr Mrazek is an absolute BEAST too. Some of his saves were unbelievable.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils foiled the Coyotes this weekend and so did the Islanders. The wild card race in the Western Conference is going to be a photo finish....

Stars 82 points, 7 games left
Avalanche 81 points, 6 games left
Wild 79 points, 6 games left
Coyotes 79 points, 6 games left

AG74683

Cyburbian
Devils foiled the Coyotes this weekend and so did the Islanders. The wild card race in the Western Conference is going to be a photo finish....

Stars 82 points, 7 games left
Avalanche 81 points, 6 games left
Wild 79 points, 6 games left
Coyotes 79 points, 6 games left
It's crazy that only the Kings are eliminated from contention in the West. Everyone else still has a possibility.

"Canes are 2 points back from the Penguins, 4 from the Islanders. Right now they hold the first wildcard spot, and beat the second wildcard team (Montreal) last night, 2-1 in OT. 7 games left, but it's an incredibly tough schedule. We meet the 'Caps twice this week.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's crazy that only the Kings are eliminated from contention in the West. Everyone else still has a possibility.

"Canes are 2 points back from the Penguins, 4 from the Islanders. Right now they hold the first wildcard spot, and beat the second wildcard team (Montreal) last night, 2-1 in OT. 7 games left, but it's an incredibly tough schedule. We meet the 'Caps twice this week.
The Caps are tough, twice in the same week is even tougher. We're in the "anything can happen" stage so it's going to be an interesting ride.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes dropped two in a row vs the Caps. Honestly we looked better than them last night and led in every statistical category besides goals. The 3rd was a fluky deflection. It's not a good indicator of the playoffs though, IF we make it now. I'd hate to drop to that 2nd WC spot, because then we face the Lightning and they've killed us all season (along with just about every other team in the NHL).

Doohickie

Cyburbian
You never know. When I lived in Detroit, the Wings were a power house but some years didn't do well in the playoffs.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Habs-Canes-Blue Jackets duking it out in East for the wild card.

Stars-Knights fighting for the 3rd playoff spot and the Avs-Coyotes-Wild scrambling for the wild card.

This is going to be a good playoff year.

Last Stanley Cup win for the current top 3 in each division....

Winnipeg: never in modern NHL
Nashville: never
St. Louis: never
Calgary: 1989
San Jose: never
Las Vegas: never
Washington: 2018
Islanders: 1983
Pittsburgh: 2017
Tampa Bay: 2004
Boston: 2011
Toronto: 1967

AG74683

Cyburbian
If the 'Canes don't make it, I'll be putting my support behind the Blue Jackets or Islanders. The Islanders have had an incredibly rough few decades and it would be super fitting for Barry Trotz to win with the Isles right after winning with the Caps.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Oof, 'Canes lost to the Pens yesterday evening, 3-1. That's gonna hurt the playoffs hopes a bit. That dropped us down to WC 2. We are only 1 point up on Montreal but we do have a game or two in hand. Catching the Penguins now is basically impossible, so at the very least we will be in the wild card spot. CBJ is up at 94 points at WC 1.

Either way, it's going to be a tough first series. We either get Washington or Tampa, and we've had issues with both. I don't think we can realistically beat either team.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils lost to St. Louis in OT with 2.8 seconds left :(

Looks like it's going to be a fight to the finish for the 'Canes, Habs, Avs, and Coyotes.

I'd like to see Tampa Bay or Nashville go all the way.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think Tampa Bay will win it all. However, right now the wild-card run for the eastern conference is where the excitement is. There are 4 teams within 5 points of each other and one loss can swing everything.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
At B-Dubs with Miniskis. He is watching baseball and my head is on a pivot watching 4 hockey games and only two of them have playoff contention.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think Tampa Bay will win it all. However, right now the wild-card run for the eastern conference is where the excitement is. There are 4 teams within 5 points of each other and one loss can swing everything.
But of course they HAD to lose to Montreal last night. :r:

'Canes won 4-1 over the Leafs last night. Every game is a must win now. Any loss and we are in trouble. Last two games are against the Devils at home and the Flyers in Philly. Both should be manageable, but you never know. The Penguins lost last night which kept us within striking distance of them, although I don't think that will happen. Ultimately, if we make the playoffs, it'll be against Washington or Tampa, and we have had difficulties with both. Every 'Caps game has been close though. Tampa is another story.

In other news, the Hurricanes owner, Tom Dundon, blew up the AAF yesterday. It's rumored that he was only after the gambling app the AAF team was developing, which is why he put money in the league. Once he got the app, he pulled out. It's a shame really, the AAF was pretty cool and it was nice having football during the NFL offseason. The games really weren't THAT bad and the pace of play was much better than the NFL.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I think Tampa Bay will win it all.
Don't count your chickens. The Red Wings roared into the 1996 playoffs with 131 points and lost in the conference final to eventual Cup winner Colorado (a series that started a bitter rivalry). The Wings only got 94 points the next year but won it all. The formula for winning in the regular season doesn't fully align with playoff hockey.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Don't count your chickens. The Red Wings roared into the 1996 playoffs with 131 points and lost in the conference final to eventual Cup winner Colorado (a series that started a bitter rivalry). The Wings only got 94 points the next year but won it all. The formula for winning in the regular season doesn't fully align with playoff hockey.
Tampa plays a very heavy physical game despite the team having some speedier smaller players. Other teams simply get worn down and slow up in the third period of the game while Tampa still skates around at full steam. If they run into a team that can take that physical toll and keep themselves at top speed, it'll be a good series. Boston can do it, and I think Winnipeg in the west has that mindset. Tampa also has a pretty hefty forecheck. If you can limit their time mashing your players into the boards in the d-zone, they lose a lot of that physical presence.

Still, they are easily the best team out there. I don't see many in the west that can beat them. The Flames are the logical choice given their record, but I don't think they match up against the physicality of Tampa. The Sharks or Preds could I think.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Still, they are easily the best team out there. I don't see many in the west that can beat them. The Flames are the logical choice given their record, but I don't think they match up against the physicality of Tampa. The Sharks or Preds could I think.
Do you think a Canadian team could actually win it this year?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Do you think a Canadian team could actually win it this year?
Realistically, no. The only remote competition for anyone in the east is the Jets or the Flames. I don't see either of them winning it.

It's funny because both of those teams are ran by former Hurricanes coaches. Paul Maurice for the Jets, Bill Peters for the Flames. Maurice was the HC the last time the 'Canes made the playoffs ('09). Peters had no luck with the team, seems to be largely because of a completely ineffective owner in Peter Karmanos.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I think it's highly likely that TB will win it all. But I don't think I call it a given. In addition to the differences you highlighted, the Lightning are a more mature team than the 1996 Red Wings who were still ascending to their eventual dynasty. This TB team is probably more akin to the 2000s Wings who won the President's Trophy 4 times during the decade and won the Cup in two of those 4 seasons. But even at that, their President's Trophy teams only won the Cup half the time.

AG74683

Cyburbian
IT'S HAPPENED!!! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 10 YEARS THE HURRICANES ARE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!

I've never been more excited about any sports event in my entire life. I actually cried at the end of that game. I've only been watching since '09, but I've only missed maybe 50 games in that time. The team is hyped, the city is hyped, the Carolina's are hyped. This is so awesome. There's a slim chance of leaping over the Pens if they lose Saturday and we beat the Flyers. We'll probably pull the 'Caps in the first round though. We haven't beat them this year, but every game has come down to the wire, so there is still a possibility. Even with a first round loss, I'm excited we're even in it. Just wait until next year when Necas makes the team. We'll be on fire then!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
IT'S HAPPENED!!! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 10 YEARS THE HURRICANES ARE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!

I've never been more excited about any sports event in my entire life. I actually cried at the end of that game. I've only been watching since '09, but I've only missed maybe 50 games in that time. The team is hyped, the city is hyped, the Carolina's are hyped. This is so awesome. There's a slim chance of leaping over the Pens if they lose Saturday and we beat the Flyers. We'll probably pull the 'Caps in the first round though. We haven't beat them this year, but every game has come down to the wire, so there is still a possibility. Even with a first round loss, I'm excited we're even in it. Just wait until next year when Necas makes the team. We'll be on fire then!
I am happy your team made it. Last year the Devils unexpectedly made it into a wild card spot and it was exciting for them as it had been quite some time. Ultimately they were eliminated in the first round but it was great all the same because they had been written off early in the season and I did get to go to two playoff games :)

AG74683

Cyburbian
I am happy your team made it. Last year the Devils unexpectedly made it into a wild card spot and it was exciting for them as it had been quite some time. Ultimately they were eliminated in the first round but it was great all the same because they had been written off early in the season and I did get to go to two playoff games :)
I recognized almost no names from last nights game. I guess a lot of them are AHL callups? What happened?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Thoughts on last night's games. Both the Cains and the Pens played like they needed it... because they did. Both clinched their spots.

I am going to enjoy watching the final Wings game of the season tomorrow. I might even see if my neighbor from Buffalo wants to go out for a beverage to watch the game someplace.

I think that the Cains might be able to beat the caps, but I don't think they will win the series.

It will be interesting to see who gets the final wildcard spot. I think it will be Columbus.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think that the Cains might be able to beat the caps, but I don't think they will win the series.
'Canes have lost all 4 matchups this year. 2 by a significant margin, 2 were very close. I think they might pull one or two off, but I just can't see them winning. Losing Calvin de Haan is a huge blow. Fleury is good, he's just not CdH good. Defense will need to be on point to beat Ovi and the 'Caps. Any mistake will be a goal. Since January we've been one of the better road teams in the league though.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Holtby is in another zone right now. Last night he had 33 saves against a Habs team that desperately needed a win to make the playoffs. The Caps are not going to be an easy out for anybody.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
After winning their last two games, the Sabres fired Head Coach Phil Housley today. Something had to give, after leading the league at the end of November, and finishing near last place overall. There's always next year.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recognized almost no names from last nights game. I guess a lot of them are AHL callups? What happened?
The injuries were insane this year so there have been a lot of call ups. Also since there was no hope of a post-season it's a good opportunity to see if what's in the pipeline might pan out in the future.

AHL Players: McLeod, Bastian, Rooney.
Recent trades/acquisitions: Anderson, Agostino, Carrick

Taylor Hall missing over half of the season was brutal. Also there were significant injuries for Nico Hischier, Kyle Palmieri, Jesper Bratt, Miles Wood, and Sami Vatanen.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
After winning their last two games, the Sabres fired Head Coach Phil Housley today. Something had to give, after leading the league at the end of November, and finishing near last place overall. There's always next year.
Oh come on... they beat the Red Wings 7-1 for the last game. That should mean something! Jack Eichel is a great hockey player, but do you think the rest of the team really gets behind him?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The Wings played their top line and everyone else was AHL caliber. Seriously. There were names I never saw before.

I think the Sabres will be much better next year. New coach, a good, possibly great, first round draft pick, and the guys they brought up from the AHL will be here the whole year. Nylander looked okay; Olofsson looked like Jack's new LW, especially if Skinner signs elsewhere. Add in a few roster tweaks and sensible line combinations and they could break the playoff drought.

For all the talk of playing an uptempo game, Housley's system just didn't produce very exciting hockey.