• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

2018/2019 Quest for the Cup

kjel

Super Moderator
And NJ scores the 1st lottery pick... Wings are 6th. I wonder if Jack Hughes will enjoy NJ...
AWWW YEAH! Totally unexpected though since the Devils won the #1 pick in 2017 ultimately selecting the #2 rated draft pick Nico Hischier as he was a better fit for the team. From what I understand Jack Hughes is friendly with Taylor Hall. Guess we'll find out in June whether the Devils draft Hughes or Kakko.

The very big upside is that it will be easier to resign Taylor Hall at the end of next season.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Congrats on being the biggest loser, NJ Devils! The Sabres can't even lose right. :p

I don't know that moving down two really affects the Sabres draft too much. From what I've heard, there's the top two of Hughes and Kakko, then another half dozen or so good prospects before things start to drop off, and in the 3rd through whatever picks, team needs will be a factor. If the Sabres could land Byram he might be a nice piece to pair with Dahlin eventually.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
How did the Lightning lose to Columbus last night in Tampa Bay? Watching the first period it looked like the Bolts would destroy the BJs.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
How did the Lightning lose to Columbus last night in Tampa Bay? Watching the first period it looked like the Bolts would destroy the BJs.
That's why they play the games.

There were a ton of entertaining games yesterday. I was watching the Pens-Isles game; it had the feel of an OT game from the end of the second period on. Even when NY went ahead in the third I thought the game would go to OT.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Gives me hope for the 'Canes Caps series!!! They start tonight. I am freaking PUMPED too.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well 'Canes lost 4-2 in the opening game (really 3-2, the last was an EN). Honestly, they were clearly the better team on the ice. I think 2 of Washington's goals came from the powerplay, one from Backstrom and another from Ovi. Backstrom also scored on a really garbage goal from way out, Mrazek was asleep in net or something. I think we dominated in every other portion of the game besides where it counts. Svechnikov scored the 2 goals, one right after getting chippy with Ovi which was awesome.

We absolutely NEED to win game 2 in Washington. If we can split the opening 2 games we have a fighting chance.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Where I come from, the team that scores more goals is the better team. ;)

But if you're right, the Canes will come out strong in Game 2. If you're going to split on the road to open the series, winning Game 2 is the one you want cuz they come back to home ice with momentum.

Last night Mike Smith had the most dominating goalie performance in the playoffs since, well, the Dominator (Dominik Hasek). Amazing saves bailed out the Flames repeatedly until they managed to score, eventually prevailing over the Avs 4-0.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Where I come from, the team that scores more goals is the better team. ;)

But if you're right, the Canes will come out strong in Game 2. If you're going to split on the road to open the series, winning Game 2 is the one you want cuz they come back to home ice with momentum.
I mean typically, yes. That game was weird though. We had them in every statistical category otherwise. We were 0-3 on the PP, they were 2-4 which was the major difference. Mrazek let in a really bad goal from way out by Backstrom too. Somehow we actually outhit them, which is crazy. There were some massive hits in that game too.

Last night Mike Smith had the most dominating goalie performance in the playoffs since, well, the Dominator (Dominik Hasek). Amazing saves bailed out the Flames repeatedly until they managed to score, eventually prevailing over the Avs 4-0.
Mike Smith has always been underrated. I watched him when he was with the Coyotes in Raleigh once. He shut out the Hurricanes. It was impressive. It was probably the '11-'12 season when I saw that. He had 8 shut outs that year with a .930 save percentage which is absurd. That was over 67 games too!!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I think what's hurting the Canes more than anything else is the level of playoff experience they have as a team versus the Caps. Having just won a Cup, they're built for the playoffs, they know it, and they know how to use it. They may falter in later rounds, but as a division winner against a WC team, they are getting it done.

If the Canes can even it up at home, though, it could swing the moment the other way and if they can get it down to a 3-game series, anything can happen.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I think what's hurting the Canes more than anything else is the level of playoff experience they have as a team versus the Caps. Having just won a Cup, they're built for the playoffs, they know it, and they know how to use it. They may falter in later rounds, but as a division winner against a WC team, they are getting it done.

If the Canes can even it up at home, though, it could swing the moment the other way and if they can get it down to a 3-game series, anything can happen.
The last game was pretty frustrating. If they don't win tonight it's over. Aho got a goal so hopefully he can get back into a groove. IMO I think the officiating has been incredibly suspect for the first two games. That Ferland match penalty was absolutely GARBAGE. Oshie didn't get crap when he intentionally high sticked one of our players in the face, and it was blatantly obvious that it was on purpose.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Good Lord they destroyed the Caps last night, 5-0. Unbelievable game. Svech got his head knocked off by Ovi. I have NO idea why he chirped so hard to get Ovi to fight him, but boy did he pay for it.

They held the Caps to like 18 shots in the entire game. They didn't have a single shot in the second period. That game was series changing. The momentum swing is massive.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Good Lord they destroyed the Caps last night, 5-0. Unbelievable game. Svech got his head knocked off by Ovi. I have NO idea why he chirped so hard to get Ovi to fight him, but boy did he pay for it.

They held the Caps to like 18 shots in the entire game. They didn't have a single shot in the second period. That game was series changing. The momentum swing is massive.
Maybe a little but I'm not sure it's a huge momentum swing at this point. Ovi whipping Svech's ass probably carried some emotion for the Canes as well. But that won't last. Although Svech's headache probably will! Man, he got rocked. WTF was he thinking taking on Ovi? And Ovi is not a fighter at all and skates away from a lot of stuff but this is the playoffs now. Dude learned a hard lesson.

Planit

Cyburbian
It was chippy the entire game!

Did Svech wake up from his nap? I thought it was humorous that when Ovi went into the penalty box for the 5 minute major, he got an ice bag for his knuckles.

AG74683

Cyburbian
It was chippy the entire game!

Did Svech wake up from his nap? I thought it was humorous that when Ovi went into the penalty box for the 5 minute major, he got an ice bag for his knuckles.
There was word out there that "everything checked out". I don't think he'll be back for the series, or the rest of the playoffs probably. That fight is a perfect example of why the NHL mandated that helmets may not be removed before a fight a few years ago.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I fear that the apocalypse is near... the TB lightning were swept by the Columbus BJs. There is no stability in the space time continuum anymore.

Edit: Penguins were also swept and that Sid punk is going home. All is good in the world and I am happy.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
I fear that the apocalypse is near... the TB lightning were swept by the Columbus BJs. There is no stability in the space time continuum anymore.
The Blue Jackets are my team. I don't really care about hockey, but it is enjoyable to see them win. Many of my friends have been season ticket holders for a long time. It is good for that franchise.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well that changes just about everything. I fully expected the Islanders to win, they are a great team with a fantastic coach. The Blue Jackets....wow. I thought they'd take one or two, but ultimately go home. Unbelievable. People thought Jarmo Kekalainen was crazy for basically selling the house to bring in Duchene, Dzingel, Kinkaid, and McQuaid. They didn't mesh all that well immediately but damned if they aren't doing work now. Kekalainen secured the GM of the Year award last night for sure, no matter what happens in the second round.

I thought for sure even if the 'Canes get past the Capitals, they'd be dead in the water against Tampa. Now things are WAY different. I'm calling an Islanders v. Preds Stanley Cup series.

kjel

Super Moderator
So many people's brackets are busted. Recently traded Devils are playing for Boston, Dallas, Nashville, and Columbus so I hope one of them can go all the way.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I thought it was humorous that when Ovi went into the penalty box for the 5 minute major, he got an ice bag for his knuckles.
I heard an interview with Pierre McGuire who was covering the game from ice level. He said the punch that felled Svech sounded like a hammer hitting a piece of wood.

Recently traded Devils are playing for...
That's all we got, ain't it? I see former Sabres, some of which I didn't think much of (Dmitri Kulikov for instance) playing significant roles on playoff teams.

kjel

Super Moderator
I heard an interview with Pierre McGuire who was covering the game from ice level. He said the punch that felled Svech sounded like a hammer hitting a piece of wood.
The fight. Timber....

That's all we got, ain't it? I see former Sabres, some of which I didn't think much of (Dmitri Kulikov for instance) playing significant roles on playoff teams.
Pretty much.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes Caps tonight! Game 4. I really think if the Hurricanes manage to take it, they will win the series. They just need to get game 5 in Washington and take 6 at home. Both away games were close contests. Losing Svech is going to hurt though. He was doing damage in Washington.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
If I recall correctly, the Game 4 Winner is the strongest indicator of Series Winner.

That would be great if the Cains moved on to round 2...

But more importantly, press conference this afternoon to introduce the new GM for the Detroit Redwings.... STEVE YZERMAN!

(Super happy dance!)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Worst kept secret in hockey. We lived in Detroit for the 6 years leading up to the 1997 Cup win. We were huge Red Wings fans. I've since gravitated back to the Sabres (the team I grew up with) but my wife is still a big Wings and Stevie Y fan. I was pretty geeked up by the news; this should be great for Detroit.

AG74683

Cyburbian
That would be great if the Cains moved on to round 2...
They won't now. Had to win that game in Washington to have a shot. Instead they were completely embarrassed. Even if they win tonight, they won't win game 7 in Washington. We've lost too many players now, no depth to add. Martinook, Ferland, and Svech are gone. Svech might be back tonight though. Ferland is likely out for the rest of the season even if we manage to make it to round 2. No idea what's going on with Martinook. He got injured early on in the last game. He came back out and then went right into the locker room.

I like Dougie Hamilton, but that was an absolute garbage move on his part to decline chasing the puck behind the net with Ovi charging down. Take the hit like a freaking man. You're a professional hockey player.