• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

2018/2019 Quest for the Cup

AG74683

Cyburbian
Game 3 in the books, 5-2 win for the 'Canes. Curtis McElhinney makes his first playoff start and is the third oldest goalie to ever start his first playoff game. And he was excellent!! Last two goals were empty netters so technically we had a 3-2 win.

The Islanders scored their first actual goal the entire series last night. All their others have been off of Hurricanes players. We just look flat out better than them. It's incredible to watch. Moneypuck has the Hurricanes as the odds on favorite to win the Cup at 29%. Next closest is the Sharks at 15....

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Game 3 in the books, 5-2 win for the 'Canes. Curtis McElhinney makes his first playoff start and is the third oldest goalie to ever start his first playoff game. And he was excellent!! Last two goals were empty netters so technically we had a 3-2 win.

The Islanders scored their first actual goal the entire series last night. All their others have been off of Hurricanes players. We just look flat out better than them. It's incredible to watch. Moneypuck has the Hurricanes as the odds on favorite to win the Cup at 29%. Next closest is the Sharks at 15....
That pat on the head though.....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Thoughts on this round...

Cains will sweep
Boston will win in 7
Blues will win in 6
Colorado will win in 7

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were rooting for the 'Canes and they swept the Isles.

Columbus and Colorado are fighting against elimination tonight.

Dallas and St. Louis is taking it down to the wire tomorrow.

The playoffs haven't gone any way I guessed they would have.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Thoughts:
I am happy that Columbus lost, but I now want the Canes to sweep Boston... because z-man and I are going to game 4 in Raleigh...

Joe Thornton could hide the Cup in his beard.

People in the D knew that Kenny Holland was being pushed into a “promotion” that he did not want to make room for Stevie Y... and today Kenny was named the GM of Edmonton. I applaud this move. So many people say if such and such happens they are moving to Canada. He actually did! Oprah it is your turn.

The Blues need to stop fooling around. If this game goes into OT, I am going to be pissed because I don’t want to be tired tomorrow.

On a side note... E2C7F1D0-91B5-4BC2-B389-3B91230E1E60.jpeg

Edit: Happy that the Blues closed it out. The Avs need to do the same thing tomorrow. Tomorrow.... ahhh later today as it is after midnight... is going to suck mad I stayed up to watch the game!

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Blues hammered the Stars relentlessly. Bishop stood on his head the entire time and should have nothing to feel ashamed about.

I love that one time Devil Patrick Maroon brought it home for the Blues. Pulling for the Avs to win tonight.

I hope the Canes beat the crap out of Boston.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Gah. I was rooting for Dallas. Partially because I live in DFW now, but mostly because the Sabres would have gotten a better draft pick if St. Louis had lost (we get their first round pick this year.)

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
It's been a painfully long 4 months since our last title in New England. ;)

Go

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gah. I was rooting for Dallas. Partially because I live in DFW now, but mostly because the Sabres would have gotten a better draft pick if St. Louis had lost (we get their first round pick this year.)
With Dallas' loss the Rangers miss out on their conditional 1st round pick they had hoped to get with the Zuccarello trade. Rangers suck.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Woof, first two games in Boston have NOT been good. IMO we looked better for most of Game 1. There were some atrocious calls/non-calls that really changed the momentum of that game in Bostons favor in the 3rd.

As to the second game...good Lord. I think the Charlotte Checkers would have looked better. Mrazek shit the bed on at least 3 of the 6 goals, but the defense really didn't help. Hayden Fleury is about worthless and needs to take a seat in favor of someone else from Charlotte. Losing TVR for the remainder of the playoffs really sucks and shows. I hope they get it right in Raleigh for Game 3. Otherwise it's done. I don't think either west coast team could beat Carolina or Boston, so IMO the winner of the ECF wins the cup.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Oh the irony. What's happening to the Canes is what happened to the Sabres in 06 (against the Canes)

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes are toast now. Tukka Rask absolutely saved that game for the Bruins. Without him, it would have easily been 5-0 in that first period. We had ample opportunity to put more goals on the board with a litany of powerplays and a ton of open net chances, but it just didn't happen. Hockey Gods were our friends for the first 11 games, and now they are not. Nothing can be done to beat Tukka, he's just in the zone right now. If he doesn't win the Conn Smythe when they ultimately get the Stanley Cup I'll go to Boston and riot with them.

We need to get rid of Dougie Hamilton. He's just not worth the headache he brings to the table. He's a "me" minded player, not a team minded guy. He should NOT be on the powerplay, all he does is shoot first, he doesn't care about moving the puck anywhere. Special teams is atrocious. Whichever coach handles special teams needs to be launched directly into the sun. And I don't mean our sun, I mean one in another galaxy so he gets to think about his actions.

We absolutely need some sort of additional scorer too. Aho is great but he is a streaky player. Svech will be an absolute beast as he gets a little older, but he's still a 19 year old kid. He is fantastic both offensively and defensively now, his only weakness are those stupid penalties, but we need to back him up. We also need to consider getting rid of some of these offensive minded defense-men, and focus more on locking down the net. IMO, CMac and Mrazek should remain the pair moving forward, and I think it's reasonable to give them 50/50 ice time next year. They have both absolutely proven they belong in Carolina. Mrazek let some bad ones in during Game 2, but a good portion of the goals and ALL the goals last night were simply poor defensive play in front of the net. All told, it was a successful season. We made it a LOT further than I ever expected.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wanted... A Captain who will stay out of the Box... Please send Resumes to PNC Arena, Raleigh NC.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Since there isn't a 2019/2020 Quest thread yet, I guess I'll post here that the Sabres have a new head coach: Ralph Krueger, who spent the last 5 years as chairman of a Premier League soccer club in England. Apparently up until then he was a hockey guy, and even spent a season as coach of the Oilers. Supposedly he's a motivational guru and renaissance man, who's adept at turning things around. We'll see.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Wanted... A Captain who will stay out of the Box... Please send Resumes to PNC Arena, Raleigh NC.
That is such a weird thing to me too. Williams isn't that kind of guy, and he never has been. It's really out of character for him.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will the Blues end the Sharks run tonight or will it go to Game 7?

Who are you pulling for to win the final?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Will the Blues end the Sharks run tonight or will it go to Game 7?

Who are you pulling for to win the final?
Blues or Sharks, couldn't care less which team. It would be cool to see another team secure their first Stanley Cup. I'm a bit partial to the Blues though because they have been waiting a LONG time. They've been in the league since 1967 and haven't even appeared in the Cup finals. This is a team that had Gretzky for a while, and had Brett Hull, Adam Oates, and Brendan Shanahan on the ice at the same time and still couldn't win.

That will be tough for David Backes though. I can't imagine what would be going through his head playing against the Blues in the Cup final. Oof.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am going to cheer for the Blues. They've never won a cup, I was always a fan of Brett Hull (and loved when he came to the Wings), and most importantly, I will be in St. Louis during Game 4!

Go Blues!

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a Blues sweep and my eyes out for relatively inexpensive last minute tickets to Game 4.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I am going to cheer for the Blues. They've never won a cup, I was always a fan of Brett Hull (and loved when he came to the Wings), and most importantly, I will be in St. Louis during Game 4!

Go Blues!

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a Blues sweep and my eyes out for relatively inexpensive last minute tickets to Game 4.
x2 for the Blues. I really hope they get their Cup this year. A very long suffering team. Rematch of the 1970 Stanley Cup Finals!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pulling for the Blues as well. Patrick Maroon used to be a Devil.

zman

Cyburbian
I'll hope for the Blues, and will probably check in on some of the games, but not set aside time to watch them all. I will keep an eye on the scoring when it is getting close in the later games to watch one team win.

Then I'll count the days down to Avalanche training camp.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Z-Man Plan and I were there to watch Boston get the Prince of Whales Trophy. I am happy with the run that the Canes made. As I noted before, I will cheer on my local team if it does not negativly impact the success of my Red Wings... which the past few years they have not stood a chance...

I am happy that St. Louis closed it out and now I am looking for St. Louis to sweep Boston.... Why a sweep you say?

The Islanders swept the Penguins in Round 1
The Canes swept the Islanders in Round 2
The Bruins swept the Canes in round 3
So, given the pattern:
The Blues will sweep the Bruins in round 4

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone watching the entry draft tonight?

I think the Devils are going to pick Jack Hughes and the Rangers will pick Kaapo Kakko.

Any thoughts on who your teams are going to draft?

AG74683

Cyburbian
I probably won't watch. Hockey is my favorite sport, but I don't really keep up that much with the draft stuff. Our pick is way down the line so it's unlikely the player will be anything that sees an immediate impact.

News out of Carolina is that the team is unlikely to resign Mrazek or McElhinney which is incredibly disappointing. I didn't expect McElhinney to return, only because Alex Nedeljkovic is ready for the NHL, but to lose Mrazek would be rough. We made the playoffs and the deep run largely because both goaltenders had career years. Poor to average goaltending has hurt us for years. Cam Ward was good, but when you have to rely on him being perfect for 75% of your games, there is a problem. Our goalie coach left already, which I think may be one of the reasons we have struggled to get both goalies resigned, or even one at least.

My only thought in the draft, and maybe the only reason I keep an eye on it, is to see if we try and trade up to take Spencer Knight. I don't know how we could move up that far without giving up a valuable piece though (Brett Pesce). Knight is expected to be one of the highest drafted goaltenders in years, but even then he won't be playing in the NHL for a few years at the earliest.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am going to try to watch some of it. I think you are dead on with the first two picks. I am going to be more interested in who will be shuffled around after they are picked. There is a lot of talent and different teams need different skill sets, so I think it will be interesting.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to try to watch some of it. I think you are dead on with the first two picks. I am going to be more interested in who will be shuffled around after they are picked. There is a lot of talent and different teams need different skill sets, so I think it will be interesting.
I think you are right. Devils have a lot of cap space and a lot of good players are hitting free agency this year + some teams are going to need to unload. It's going to be interesting.

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes traded a 6th round pick for Patrick Marleau, a conditional first round pick, and a 7th round pick in the 2020 draft. Basically we bought a 1st round pick for the low price of a 39 year old forward.

It's unlikely that Marleau will ever wear a Carolina jersey though. All signs point to him being bought out and a possible return to San Jose. I think it's a decent trade for us to have made. We take his full cap hit for his final year (6.5m), but we have a decent amount of cap space left. 2 first round picks in the 2020 draft would be excellent.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
'Canes traded a 6th round pick for Patrick Marleau, a conditional first round pick, and a 7th round pick in the 2020 draft. Basically we bought a 1st round pick for the low price of a 39 year old forward.

It's unlikely that Marleau will ever wear a Carolina jersey though. All signs point to him being bought out and a possible return to San Jose. I think it's a decent trade for us to have made. We take his full cap hit for his final year (6.5m), but we have a decent amount of cap space left. 2 first round picks in the 2020 draft would be excellent.
I think that he will get shuffled around to multiple teams. I keep waiting for a situation similar to what they did in the movie Draft Day.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course y'all know Devils drafted Jack Hughes.

What NOBODY expected was the PK Subban trade for Steve Santini (4th liner) and Joey Davies (AHL) plus 2019 & 2020 second round picks. Ray Shero did some dark magic to pull that off. Devils still have a lot of cap space left too so I don't think Shero is finished.

It's going to be a very interesting season.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Of course y'all know Devils drafted Jack Hughes.

What NOBODY expected was the PK Subban trade for Steve Santini (4th liner) and Joey Davies (AHL) plus 2019 & 2020 second round picks. Ray Shero did some dark magic to pull that off. Devils still have a lot of cap space left too so I don't think Shero is finished.

It's going to be a very interesting season.
I still cannot believe that trade. Shero basically fleeced Nashville so I'm wondering what issues they had with PK behind the scenes. Devils will be good next year.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still cannot believe that trade. Shero basically fleeced Nashville so I'm wondering what issues they had with PK behind the scenes. Devils will be good next year.
Definitely a steal. I misread the text alert I received and thought it was one of his younger brothers :ha:

AG74683

Cyburbian
News out of Carolina is that the team is unlikely to resign Mrazek or McElhinney which is incredibly disappointing.
Mrazek is back! Got him on a two year deal. McElhinney is down in Tampa now. I didn't expect him to stay, Nedeljkovic is gonna be the back up I would imagine. They swapped Scott Darling with James Reimer but it's unlikely he ever plays a game for them (similar to the Marleau trade).

In other news, the Habs actually offer sheeted Sebastian Aho. I haven't seen an offer sheet in a long time, and this one is probably one of the biggest the league has ever had. It's unlikely the 'Canes fail to match it, but it really put us in a bind. The contract is for about 1m less a year than Aho was looking for, but it's super front loaded with nearly 21m payed out in the first 12 months. That's a hefty paycheck for a small team like ours. I think Dundon will buy in to it though. It has to be done, and realistically it's a good deal for a PPG player.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Devils signed Wayne Simmonds to a 1 year $5M deal yesterday. That was unexpected, fans are generally on the fence about it but I think Shero did it to get to the cap floor and to leverage into something next year. Devils were otherwise quiet yesterday signing 3 two way contracts mostly for the benefit of the AHL affiliate.

I think the Rangers overpaid for Panarin.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Devils signed Wayne Simmonds to a 1 year $5M deal yesterday. That was unexpected, fans are generally on the fence about it but I think Shero did it to get to the cap floor and to leverage into something next year. Devils were otherwise quiet yesterday signing 3 two way contracts mostly for the benefit of the AHL affiliate.

I think the Rangers overpaid for Panarin.
IMO it's a good deal for Simmonds. He's certainly a hit or miss player, but when he is on, he's fantastic. Character guy too, has put up with a LOT of crap over the years.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
How many picks would Carolina get if they let Aho go to Montreal? It'd be a short term hit to lose him for sure, but future picks could make it worth it over the long haul.

AG74683

Cyburbian
How many picks would Carolina get if they let Aho go to Montreal? It'd be a short term hit to lose him for sure, but future picks could make it worth it over the long haul.
IIRC, it's 3. 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. It's very close to jumping up to that top level of compensation which would be 2 1st round picks, a 2nd, and 3rd.

I've been kind of on the fence about it myself. Aho is a PPG player, but his production really fell off towards the end of the season and he was basically non-existent in the playoffs. The 21m up front bonus pay is what's really scary. That's a huge up front bonus, especially for a small market team like the 'Canes. They'll almost certainly match it though.

I think the Habs never planned on Aho playing for them this season. IMO, it's a gesture by the Habs management to try and lay the groundwork for a longer term relationship with Aho. This offer sheet will get him PAID, way more up front than what he would have earned otherwise. It's good will so when Aho is up as an UFA in 5 years, he remembers Montreal and heads up on a sweetheart deal.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yeah, I'm seeing reports that Carolina will match.
I think Aho will stay.

On the other hand, like what Stevie Y is doing with the Wings. He is getting a good foundation with a broad range of foundations. I really that he is looking for talent in the European leagues. He saw first hand what the Russian 5 did in the late 90s.

AG74683

Cyburbian
They matched, according to NHL app.
Boo! LAME. Waddell was supposed to wait out 7 day response deadline until the very end. That way, Montreal has all the money tied up and cannot commit to other players. Oh well, glad that drama is over.

Edit* Oh wait, they didn't officially match it. Just said they "intend to match within the timeframe allowed". AKA they are holding out to screw MTL over. I love it!!!