2018 Hurricane Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Wow... according to the National Hurricane Center, this has shifted quite a bit from yesterday. We are still in the cone but no longer tracking to go over us. It looks like SC is going to get the worst of it now. I hope people did not go back home when the evacuation was lifted.
Honestly, it appears worse for south eastern NC. Rain models show considerably more rain than we saw before it started shifting south towards SC. Winds might decrease though, which is what I was worried about.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Wow... according to the National Hurricane Center, this has shifted quite a bit from yesterday. We are still in the cone but no longer tracking to go over us. It looks like SC is going to get the worst of it now. I hope people did not go back home when the evacuation was lifted.
The shift south puts Charlotte & Western NC in line for heavier rainfall being on the north side of the storm.

kjel

Super Moderator
Although SC never got anything more than a Cat 1 during the 4 years I lived there, most of the hurricanes/tropical storms that arrived brought lots and lots of rain which would cause flooding. Stay safe y'all.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Yeah, being on the north side always seems to mean you get Noahesque amounts of rain. What are they predicting for spin off tornados?
[STRIKEOUT]
None of the advisory that I read has mentioned tornadoes other than the fact the northern side is prone to spin off tornadoes.[/STRIKEOUT]
TORNADOES: A few tornadoes are possible in eastern North Carolina
beginning late Thursday morning.
The amount of rain is diffidently noahesque.

rainfall in the following areas...

Coastal North Carolina...20 to 30 inches, isolated 40 inches
South Carolina, western and northern North Carolina...5 to
10 inches, isolated 20 inches
Elsewhere in the Appalachians and Mid-Atlantic states...3 to
6 inches, isolated 12 inches

This rainfall would produce catastrophic flash flooding and
significant river flooding.

Last edited:

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Now that it looks like the hurricane will make landfall farther south, we expect to be in fairly good shape. We did just have a debriefing meeting to go over the protocols, though. It's good to know it's been thought out, regardless!

Only at the coast so far, rest of the state looks fairly safe.
As of right now, things are looking better for my area and it has weakened to a cat 3... but landfall is still more than 36 hours out and it can shift. The other thing is the size of this storm is huge. Even if the eye stays on the current track, we will still get very wet with 8 to 10 inches of rain...

The kids and I are all set for the storm and will we staying in doors for the most part until the storm is over. Most of my neighbors also has their houses prepped but there are a few that still have yet to bring in porch furniture. The wife is at work today and we are waiting to see if she should stay at the hospital tonight or drive in tomorrow morning. As of right now, it still looks like she should stay at work.

Planit

Cyburbian
2 different forecasts from 2 different sources :-{

1. 40 mph winds with 10" rain (NOAA)
2. 28 mph winds with 5" rain (TWC)

EMS will issue their latest statement @ 5:00 pm

kms

Cyburbian
2 different forecasts from 2 different sources :-{

1. 40 mph winds with 10" rain (NOAA)
2. 28 mph winds with 5" rain (TWC)

EMS will issue their latest statement @ 5:00 pm
Be safe.

My daughter is pretty scared. She didn’t fare too well from Matthew.

Planit

Cyburbian
Our friends in New Bern decided to evacuate on Wednesday
Another friend's son decided to stay in Wilmington

Bubba

Cyburbian
Our friends in New Bern decided to evacuate on Wednesday
Another friend's son decided to stay in Wilmington
The older brother of a buddy of mine lives in Wilmington - I need to see if he got the heck outta there or decided to ride it out.

I still have quite a few friends in Jacksonville, New Bern, and Wilmington and they've all evacuated further inland. It looks like the flooding is already getting pretty bad in New Bern and along the Neuse River. Once you get outside of the larger cities down there, the region is pretty poor and there are a lot of folks living in random trailers scattered around in some very low-lying, swampy areas. Those are the places I'm most worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.