• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

2018 Major League Baseball (throw in the towel or buy a championship) Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
Winter Meetings have begun and new owner Derek Jeter attended the Dolphins game instead. Now that's the way to start the season...which also includes a tremendous salary dump by the Marlins. They have thrown the proverbial towel in already.

Yankmees bought Stanton. Angels bought Ohtani (this Japanese wonder player).

Braves lost a bunch of prospects. Tampa Bay Rays may sell franchise player Longoria.

But the meetings are being held at Disney so maybe some magic will happen.

Just the slow start up of the season, but pitchers and catchers report in 64 days!

...and the Houston Astros won the World Series last year in case you forgot.

(mods, please close the 2017 thread)

Planit

Cyburbian
Adrian Gonzales waived his no-trade clause to be traded to the Braves who released him to free agency. Man this sounds convoluted.

Again this year, nobody has picked up my contract so far so I guess I'll just stay a planner.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Adrian Gonzales waived his no-trade clause to be traded to the Braves who released him to free agency. Man this sounds convoluted.
It was almost NBA complicated. Ultimately it's a salary dump for both teams, and the Braves get a veteran SP to eat innings in 2018, an upgrade at utility infielder with four remaining years of club control, and an extra $30 mil of payroll space to pursue free agents for the 2019 season.

All I've noticed about the Texas Rangers so far is that they're picking up a lot of pitching (and with good reason). Let's see if the new pitchers suck less than last year's pitchers.

Otis

Cyburbian
My off-the-wall prediction for 2018: Washington Nationals lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Hmmmmm. I doubt my Mets will go anywhere this year, but you never know!

I think the Tampa Bay Devil Rays will face the Seattle Mariners in the World Series with Tampa Bay beating the Mariners 27-26 in Game 5 after 37 innings.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Larry "Chipper" Jones elected to the HoF with the 11th highest percentage of the total votes ever. :h: Now if we can just get Fred McGriff and Andruw Jones voted in...

Planit

Cyburbian
Kudos to Chipper!!!

...and the other 3 are certainly worthy too. It looks like a good cast this year AND Barry Bonds & Roger Clemens still did not received the required minimum votes.

We'll be down in Naples, Florida in March and I was thinking of heading up to Fort Myers to take my daughter to BoSox spring training game. I was surprised how expensive their spring training games are. $15 to $25+ seems high - that's nearly as much as a regular season ticket price in Detroit (but probably not as much as in Boston). Of course, the last time I bought spring training tickets was 20+ years ago to the Pirates facility in Bradenton... there's probably been some inflation since then.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We'll be down in Naples, Florida in March and I was thinking of heading up to Fort Myers to take my daughter to BoSox spring training game. I was surprised how expensive their spring training games are. $15 to $25+ seems high - that's nearly as much as a regular season ticket price in Detroit (but probably not as much as in Boston). Of course, the last time I bought spring training tickets was 20+ years ago to the Pirates facility in Bradenton... there's probably been some inflation since then.
Planit might have a better idea, but I'm pretty sure the Braves' spring training ticket prices jumped significantly when they moved from West Palm Beach to Disney several years ago.

Planit might have a better idea, but I'm pretty sure the Braves' spring training ticket prices jumped significantly when they moved from West Palm Beach to Disney several years ago.
I just looked up Tigers tickets up in Lakeland and they are the same, or even more than, the BoSox prices. The Tigers have some seats that are $85! That's just insane. Who would pay that for a spring training game?

Planit

Cyburbian
I grew up in St. Pete going to Cardinals & Mets Spring Training games but that was back in the late 60s and when I worked in Ft. Myers (85) and Sarasota (86) it is no way is even close to resembling whats going on today...BUT

BoSox in Ft. Myers has generally been a tough ticket. Up & down the coast are several opportunities. Look around. The BoSox are definitely close to Naples, but Port Charlotte, Sarasota & Bradenton are good choices too, but you're getting into the 2 hour drive range.

It's funny to me that games early in March tend to have big attendance but not as many of the 1st-team players, whereas many late march games are less attended but with more 1st-team players and those 'on the bubble' type guys, at least that been what I've seen.

Regardless GO!

I grew up in St. Pete going to Cardinals & Mets Spring Training games but that was back in the late 60s and when I worked in Ft. Myers (85) and Sarasota (86) it is no way is even close to resembling whats going on today...BUT

BoSox in Ft. Myers has generally been a tough ticket. Up & down the coast are several opportunities. Look around. The BoSox are definitely close to Naples, but Port Charlotte, Sarasota & Bradenton are good choices too, but you're getting into the 2 hour drive range.

It's funny to me that games early in March tend to have big attendance but not as many of the 1st-team players, whereas many late march games are less attended but with more 1st-team players and those 'on the bubble' type guys, at least that been what I've seen.

Regardless GO!
My parents sold my grandma's place in Sarasota last summer or else I'd look for something up there as well since we could make a couple days out of it and stay there for free (Anna Marie Island has the best beach in Florida). I don't care enough about the Sox to pay more than about $15, including fees, but was just picking them since it's so close to where we stay. I told my FIL to keep an eye/ear out and that if he hears of somebody trying to off load some tickets cheap or free that we'd be interested.

If I'm taking a 7-year-old, I'm sure she won't care who's playing. She'll be more interested in whether or not we can get ice cream.