• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

2018 NCAA Football Thread of Importance

Planit

Cyburbian
Bama won it (again) last year and hinky said it best (yawn).

Now with the news of Urban's knowledge of bad things on his coaching staff, do you think tosu will still be in the rankings? Of course they will because - why not.

AP/Coaches Poll Preseason Rankings (& still not sure why we bother with them, but I digress):
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Clemson
5. Ohio State
6. Central Florida
7. Wisconsin
8. Penn State
9. Texas Christian
10. Auburn

Planit

Cyburbian
OOPS!
Those were the final rankings from 2017.

Here are the ESPN 2018 Preseason Rankings.

1. ALABAMA
2. CLEMSON
3. OHIO STATE
4. GEORGIA
5. WASHINGTON
6. WISCONSIN
7. OKLAHOMA
8. PENN STATE
9. MIAMI
10. AUBURN

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm better with UGA starting at 4 than at 2 - we did lose a lot of seniors and draft-eligible juniors.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My alma mater will probably suck once again. It's how many weeks to basketball season?:r:

I'll end up rooting for the local university's team. I've taken classes there, plus given a guest lecture, hired interns, gone to plays, etc. Some of the advantages of living where there is a decent sized university.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
OOPS!
Those were the final rankings from 2017.

Here are the ESPN 2018 Preseason Rankings.

1. ALABAMA
2. CLEMSON
3. OHIO STATE
4. GEORGIA
5. WASHINGTON
6. WISCONSIN
7. OKLAHOMA
8. PENN STATE
9. MIAMI
10. AUBURN

OSU is over ranked, even with Urban staying. They might be top 10, but not top 5. I think Penn State is under ranked, but otherwise I think it is accurate. I think that Michigan will finish in the top 25 but not in the top 10. They are just not there yet.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
OSU is good. Very good. I think Barrett leaving is actually going to help that offense. They're definitely a top 5 team right now. PSU has a lot of question marks in the middle of the front 7. The season will hinge on that I think. OSU @ PSU September 29th. Hopefully both will still be unbeaten at that point. You know that will be a whiteout game at night. Michigan might be better than you think. Their defense is going to be very tough and now they've got a QB.

The new rule about playing freshman in 4 games and still being able to redshirt is going to be huge for some schools to figure out what they've got. I think TCU might be a bit of a sleeper this year.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Watch out for the Herm Edwards ASU train...they might get 5 wins this season but he will definitely win the press conference... and by win will have the most interesting one liners and random statements of the week.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Watch out for the Herm Edwards ASU train...they might get 5 wins this season but he will definitely win the press conference... and by win will have the most interesting one liners and random statements of the week.
HELLO! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!1!

I like Herm Edwards, but that was a strange hire.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Well I don't see Urban coaching the Bucks this year. The social media freight train of public opinion is rolling down the tracks.

Hink

OH....IO
Well I don't see Urban coaching the Bucks this year. The social media freight train of public opinion is rolling down the tracks.
I agree. The world we live in doesn't forgive. I am not on the support Urban train honestly, but I do feel like this is a reach (at least from the facts out now).

Ohio State can get anyone in the world to coach them, they don't need Urban Meyer, I feel like they want him. Until that changes (or people burn down the Shoe because the school supports Urban) I think he makes it. They got rid of Tressel basically because he kinda knew some stuff, but didn't actually do anything wrong. Urban Meyer didn't do anything himself wrong. What he potentially did was not say anything about someone else who worked for him. Although that is wrong, it doesn't go to the same level as him doing something wrong.

I have had a tough time with this because I honestly support the victim in this case. My problem is two fold - 1. It seems like there are a lot of domestic issues between the accuser and the assistant coach guy. More than just the abuse it seems. 2. Urban Meyer may not have known about it directly. Now I believe he did know. His wife clearly knew, so he had to know. But with that said there isn't proof of that, and he hasn't said whether he knew or not.

My take is that they put him on hold for 4 games, then they let him coach again. With that said, the world we live in would rather see people fail then succeed, so there is a good chance that he will be fired with "cause".

Bubba

Cyburbian
I agree. The world we live in doesn't forgive. I am not on the support Urban train honestly, but I do feel like this is a reach (at least from the facts out now).

Ohio State can get anyone in the world to coach them, they don't need Urban Meyer, I feel like they want him. Until that changes (or people burn down the Shoe because the school supports Urban) I think he makes it. They got rid of Tressel basically because he kinda knew some stuff, but didn't actually do anything wrong. Urban Meyer didn't do anything himself wrong. What he potentially did was not say anything about someone else who worked for him. Although that is wrong, it doesn't go to the same level as him doing something wrong.

I have had a tough time with this because I honestly support the victim in this case. My problem is two fold - 1. It seems like there are a lot of domestic issues between the accuser and the assistant coach guy. More than just the abuse it seems. 2. Urban Meyer may not have known about it directly. Now I believe he did know. His wife clearly knew, so he had to know. But with that said there isn't proof of that, and he hasn't said whether he knew or not.

My take is that they put him on hold for 4 games, then they let him coach again. With that said, the world we live in would rather see people fail then succeed, so there is a good chance that he will be fired with "cause".
Ah, Hink...out of curiosity, how much do you know about Meyer's tenure at Florida? Anyhoo, I'll give EPSN credit for their coverage of this story so far - pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Hink

OH....IO
Ah, Hink...out of curiosity, how much do you know about Meyer's tenure at Florida? Anyhoo, I'll give EPSN credit for their coverage of this story so far - pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
Honestly, not much. I know he was supportive of some pretty shady players. Unfortunately, I see most coaches follow that mold. I guess I take the "wait and see" approach until we know all the facts.

I am not sure who else Ohio State would take, but the over / under on coaching choices is pretty disappointing. Why would we want the head coach of Iowa State?

Bubba

Cyburbian
I am not sure who else Ohio State would take, but the over / under on coaching choices is pretty disappointing. Why would we want the head coach of Iowa State?
Actually, Ryan Day would probably be a good candidate if Meyer gets booted. He was headed for a good HC gig somewhere in a year or two, and your AD moving him up to interim coach over Schiano (good football mind but a total scumbag) or Wilson (also a good football mind but needs to prove he's reformed his approach to managing players) speaks volumes.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
Gee, that's nice. I wouldn't know anything about that.

I get that Meyer has a contractual obligation here to report but don't you think there should really be some more focus on, oh I don't know, the people who are actually paid to help in these circumstances? I mean Mrs. Smith went to the cops numerous times. And nothing happened. But let's not let that get in the way of blaming the football program. They know all and can change everything. This issue isn't going to go away if women perceive that the solution is to tell the wives of all their husband's co-workers about it. Title IX doesn't impact the vast majority of people so there is no kangaroo court to adjudicate these things. It belongs in the legal system. That's why it exists. If it's broken, then fix it.

Planit

Cyburbian
College Football officially kicks off and starts tomorrow. The slate of 4 games for the opening weekend is overwhelming.

Hawaii @ Colorado State
Wyoming @ New Mexico State
Prairie View @ Rice
Duquesne @ UMass

Wait...What?

This is the opening weekend of college football? :-c

MD Planner

Cyburbian
There are some potentially really good games in the real Week 1 though:

Washington/Auburn
Michigan/Notre Dame
Miami/LSU
Virginia Tech/Florida State

Planit

Cyburbian
There are some potentially really good games in the real Week 1 though:

Washington/Auburn
Michigan/Notre Dame
Miami/LSU
Virginia Tech/Florida State
Yes next Saturday is a much better college football weekend.

I guess this Saturday's lineup is like preseason for viewers. Gotta make sure your grill is ready...your cooler doesn't leak...TV is good...you know, important stuff like that.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I would watch Hawaii @ Colorado State if I was in town this weekend, just to see how Bobo has the Rams looking this season - if CSU was intended to be a stepping-stone job for him, he needs to have a better season this year.

Planit

Cyburbian
Okay...NOW we start the real NCAA football season. Last weeks 4 games were just an appetizer so to say. But this holiday weekend provides games through Monday!

Tonight (yes tonight is Thursday, but) there are 12 games to get things rockin' and I think the Central Florida v. UConn might be the best of the bunch. UCF has something to prove from last year's self declared National Championship from their undefeated season.

Friday's 8 games are similar to Thursday's in the sense as they are warmups for a few teams. Syracuse v. Western Michigan might be good. Duke v. Army possibly. But the key matchup could be interstate rivalry of Colorado v. Colorado State.

Now here's where the fun starts. Saturday's game are the bigger/better/stronger type. Curious to see how Kiffin's Owls do against #7 Oklahoma. #6 Washington v. #9 Auburn should be very good as should #14 Michigan v. #12 Notre Dame. Even Navy v. Hawaii might be good (since the Hawaii v. Colorado State game last week was close).

Sunday is not all (preseason) NFL because the #8 Miami v. #25 LSU will be very interesting to see who's for real.

Monday Night Football! NCAAF style is #20 Virginia Tech v. #19 Florida State & looking forward to watching that game!

AG74683

Cyburbian
Penn State vs. App State is all I have any interest in. No crazy upset win for App State here though, Penn State has a very good team. Honestly I think they're ranked a little low even at 10.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
PSU lost a good bit from last year but they've certainly recruited well the last couple of years and lots of guys got experience. Finally back to reloading instead of rebuilding. McSorely is definitely a winner and I love watching him play. App State won't be intimidated, they've shown that over the years but they are starting a brand new QB which is never a really good thing on the road in a hostile environment.

Otis

Cyburbian
I'm going to the Oregon State/Southern Utah game next week. Not a very interesting match-up, but I'll be in a skybox, baby!

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
My atrocious preseason #128 Texas State Bobcats take on #90 Rutgers to open the season with one helluva pillow fight. :r:

Bubba

Cyburbian
Georgia State (a middling Group of Five team) beat Kennesaw State (a really good FCS team) at Georgia State Stadium (formerly The Ted, formerly Centennial Olympic Stadium) last night, winning its season opener, well, for maybe the first time in the team's existence. KSU is a big enough school to sustain a move up to FBS at some point, so that could turn into a pretty cool local rivalry game in the future (ITP versus OTP, for those who know Atlanta slang).

Bubba

Cyburbian
UGA played 87 kids (thanks new redshirt rules!) against an over-matched Austin Peay (AP, to their credit, looked like a team that should push for a FCS playoff berth)...never sure what to make of the Dawgs after an opener like that.

Planit

Cyburbian
A weekend full of cupcakes, with a few tight matchups sprinkled in...

Utah State gave Sparky a scare
Auburn v Washington a good game with SEC win
Penn State needed OT against Appy State with their eyes on a Michigan repeat
Michigan lost to ND (which I wish had been a 0-0 game)
3 big upsets with Maryland over Texas - LSU over Miami - & VaTech stunned FSU

AG74683

Cyburbian
PSU lost a good bit from last year but they've certainly recruited well the last couple of years and lots of guys got experience. Finally back to reloading instead of rebuilding. McSorely is definitely a winner and I love watching him play. App State won't be intimidated, they've shown that over the years but they are starting a brand new QB which is never a really good thing on the road in a hostile environment.
Well holy crap did that turn out to be a game. I missed it because I went camping instead and didn't figure it would ever end up that close. I wonder what that will do to PSU's ranking.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
My atrocious preseason #128 Texas State Bobcats take on #90 Rutgers to open the season with one helluva pillow fight. :r:
Update: yep... we made Rutgers look like they'll be playing for the championship. I suspect my Bobcats will be advancing into the ESPN Bottom 10 this week.

Planit

Cyburbian
Kansas lost to an FCS opponent in overtime last Saturday. They are firmly ranked as #129 in the FBS.

The AD sent a letter asking to continue to support the student-athletes and they'll try to do better.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Michigan did not look like a top 20 team against ND. Their awesome defense just didn't show up in the first half and they had no answer for Wimbush. And the Michigan offense... ouch! They just didn't look good. Our offense was pretty lackluster in '17 and I have a feeling it's going to be more of the same. Shea Patterson was supposed to be awesome but he seemed slow and unsure of himself, especially in the 4th quarter when we might have had a chance if he had moved with a bit more purpose.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Michigan did not look like a top 20 team against ND. Their awesome defense just didn't show up in the first half and they had no answer for Wimbush. And the Michigan offense... ouch! They just didn't look good. Our offense was pretty lackluster in '17 and I have a feeling it's going to be more of the same. Shea Patterson was supposed to be awesome but he seemed slow and unsure of himself, especially in the 4th quarter when we might have had a chance if he had moved with a bit more purpose.
I agree 100%. The strongest part of the team right now is Special Teams. The O line needs to get their act together if they want to protect the QB. Someone said that Patterson was looking up... then added, given the amount of time he spent on his ass on Saturday night, it was the only place he could look.

I was surprised by how many points OSU let Oregon score.

Hink

OH....IO
I agree 100%. The strongest part of the team right now is Special Teams. The O line needs to get their act together if they want to protect the QB. Someone said that Patterson was looking up... then added, given the amount of time he spent on his ass on Saturday night, it was the only place he could look.

I was surprised by how many points OSU let Oregon score.
:lmao:

You just can't let it go huh? When you feel bad about your team you have to go after Ohio State? I mean seriously. 8-!

Planit

Cyburbian
Gator football has sunk to its lowest point in 32 years.

Florida State got a good scare from FCS Samford.

I don't care anymore.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My 2 schools won. :)

It is always a good day when Nebraska loses at home.

My first school - kicker tied the NCAA single-game record with 24 points — on six field goals and six extra points/

Planit

Cyburbian
Well to start things off, 6 games have been cancelled or postponed. They include games @ VaTech, NCState, UNC, Appalachian, Liberty & South Carolina. Clemson is still on @ noon tmrrw but...

A few ranked teams are playing each other:
#12 LSU @ #7 Auburn
#17 Boise State @ #24 Okie State
#4 tosu @ #15 TCU

As long as I have power & cable I'll be happy. With the rain & wind & trees I'm crossing my fingers.

TOFB

Cyburbian
#5 OU must be destroyed for the second year in a row by ISU. I will be in my brother's rich farmer friends ticket block row 17 on the 50

DVD

Cyburbian
I always like fake plays when they work and that was a good one.

Planit

Cyburbian
Lots of football watching here with the weather cancelling outdoor activities here...

TCU showed up for 2.5 quarters against tosu
Wisconsin upset by BYU
LSU v Auburn was a really good game!
Okie St over Boise was an upset according to the rankings, but wasn't really shocking
Texas upset over USC!
SDSU upset over ASU!

Here in week 3 there are still big name teams playing cupcakes. I thought out-of-conference scheduling was supposed to get harder for better rankings. Silly me......

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Michigan did not look like a top 25 team...
I don't think they looked that bad. They started slow but the offense finally woke up halfway through the 2nd quarter. SMU is not a great team, but they also aren't one that somebody's going to run up 60 points on. Michigan was good on 4th down, Patterson and the WRs had good average completion yardage, and the team only had 2 or 3 penalties... I'll take it. They do need to work on converting those 3rd downs though.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Here in week 3 there are still big name teams playing cupcakes. I thought out-of-conference scheduling was supposed to get harder for better rankings. Silly me......
UGA's OOC schedule is a steaming pile of crap this season. Generally the Dawgs manage Georgia Tech plus another Power 5 team of interest as two of the four OOC games - this year it's Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, UMass, and a terrible GT team.

Still, jumping Clemson in the AP poll after playing MTSU ain't bad. :D

MD Planner

Cyburbian
No, in fact it's the opposite. The model really seems to be to play a (mostly) crummy P5 school, and two or three cupcakes. It's all about wins, no matter what. The committee thus far has shown that winning your conference really doesn't matter that much so they are in fact helping to ensure that teams will schedule even weaker out of conference foes instead of stronger ones.

Michigan is a top 25 team. Just on defense alone. There is such a wide gap in the polls. You've got 3-4 really elite teams (right now) another 6-8 teams that can make some noise and then the rest of the schools in the polls are pretty much interchangeable. By the way, did anybody notice after last week's polls that Michigan State was one spot ahead of Arizona State even though ASU had just beaten MSU? Just goes to show you that the Coach's poll is such a joke. Those guys aren't watching every other team in the country, they're concentrating on their team and who they play. That poll is an absolute farce with many of the coaches delegating the actual voting to someone else on their staff.

Planit

Cyburbian
By the way, did anybody notice after last week's polls that Michigan State was one spot ahead of Arizona State even though ASU had just beaten MSU? Just goes to show you that the Coach's poll is such a joke. Those guys aren't watching every other team in the country, they're concentrating on their team and who they play. That poll is an absolute farce with many of the coaches delegating the actual voting to someone else on their staff.

That's why I have such a problem with pre-season and early-season rankings. The rankings are based on previous years and reputation - before a game is even played.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I agree but I'm making a completely different point. And that is the Coach's Poll shouldn't even exist because the voters aren't even informed enough to cast a ballot. I'm actually more accepting of the writers who vote because they watch all the games (or at least have the opportunity to do so).

By the way, I am getting really excited for the game in two weeks in Happy Valley. The atmosphere should be electric.
Although I don't think it's going to be your father's or grandfather's OSU-PSU game. It has all the makings of a track meet.