• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

2018 NCAA Football Thread of Importance

Planit

Cyburbian
Bama won it (again) last year and hinky said it best (yawn).

Now with the news of Urban's knowledge of bad things on his coaching staff, do you think tosu will still be in the rankings? Of course they will because - why not.

AP/Coaches Poll Preseason Rankings (& still not sure why we bother with them, but I digress):
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Clemson
5. Ohio State
6. Central Florida
7. Wisconsin
8. Penn State
9. Texas Christian
10. Auburn

Planit

Cyburbian
OOPS!
Those were the final rankings from 2017.

Here are the ESPN 2018 Preseason Rankings.

1. ALABAMA
2. CLEMSON
3. OHIO STATE
4. GEORGIA
5. WASHINGTON
6. WISCONSIN
7. OKLAHOMA
8. PENN STATE
9. MIAMI
10. AUBURN

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'm better with UGA starting at 4 than at 2 - we did lose a lot of seniors and draft-eligible juniors.

My alma mater will probably suck once again. It's how many weeks to basketball season?:r:

I'll end up rooting for the local university's team. I've taken classes there, plus given a guest lecture, hired interns, gone to plays, etc. Some of the advantages of living where there is a decent sized university.

OOPS!
Those were the final rankings from 2017.

Here are the ESPN 2018 Preseason Rankings.

1. ALABAMA
2. CLEMSON
3. OHIO STATE
4. GEORGIA
5. WASHINGTON
6. WISCONSIN
7. OKLAHOMA
8. PENN STATE
9. MIAMI
10. AUBURN

OSU is over ranked, even with Urban staying. They might be top 10, but not top 5. I think Penn State is under ranked, but otherwise I think it is accurate. I think that Michigan will finish in the top 25 but not in the top 10. They are just not there yet.

OSU is good. Very good. I think Barrett leaving is actually going to help that offense. They're definitely a top 5 team right now. PSU has a lot of question marks in the middle of the front 7. The season will hinge on that I think. OSU @ PSU September 29th. Hopefully both will still be unbeaten at that point. You know that will be a whiteout game at night. Michigan might be better than you think. Their defense is going to be very tough and now they've got a QB.

The new rule about playing freshman in 4 games and still being able to redshirt is going to be huge for some schools to figure out what they've got. I think TCU might be a bit of a sleeper this year.

Watch out for the Herm Edwards ASU train...they might get 5 wins this season but he will definitely win the press conference... and by win will have the most interesting one liners and random statements of the week.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Watch out for the Herm Edwards ASU train...they might get 5 wins this season but he will definitely win the press conference... and by win will have the most interesting one liners and random statements of the week.
HELLO! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!1!

I like Herm Edwards, but that was a strange hire.

Well I don't see Urban coaching the Bucks this year. The social media freight train of public opinion is rolling down the tracks.

Hink

OH....IO
Well I don't see Urban coaching the Bucks this year. The social media freight train of public opinion is rolling down the tracks.
I agree. The world we live in doesn't forgive. I am not on the support Urban train honestly, but I do feel like this is a reach (at least from the facts out now).

Ohio State can get anyone in the world to coach them, they don't need Urban Meyer, I feel like they want him. Until that changes (or people burn down the Shoe because the school supports Urban) I think he makes it. They got rid of Tressel basically because he kinda knew some stuff, but didn't actually do anything wrong. Urban Meyer didn't do anything himself wrong. What he potentially did was not say anything about someone else who worked for him. Although that is wrong, it doesn't go to the same level as him doing something wrong.

I have had a tough time with this because I honestly support the victim in this case. My problem is two fold - 1. It seems like there are a lot of domestic issues between the accuser and the assistant coach guy. More than just the abuse it seems. 2. Urban Meyer may not have known about it directly. Now I believe he did know. His wife clearly knew, so he had to know. But with that said there isn't proof of that, and he hasn't said whether he knew or not.

My take is that they put him on hold for 4 games, then they let him coach again. With that said, the world we live in would rather see people fail then succeed, so there is a good chance that he will be fired with "cause".

Bubba

Cyburbian
I agree. The world we live in doesn't forgive. I am not on the support Urban train honestly, but I do feel like this is a reach (at least from the facts out now).

Ohio State can get anyone in the world to coach them, they don't need Urban Meyer, I feel like they want him. Until that changes (or people burn down the Shoe because the school supports Urban) I think he makes it. They got rid of Tressel basically because he kinda knew some stuff, but didn't actually do anything wrong. Urban Meyer didn't do anything himself wrong. What he potentially did was not say anything about someone else who worked for him. Although that is wrong, it doesn't go to the same level as him doing something wrong.

I have had a tough time with this because I honestly support the victim in this case. My problem is two fold - 1. It seems like there are a lot of domestic issues between the accuser and the assistant coach guy. More than just the abuse it seems. 2. Urban Meyer may not have known about it directly. Now I believe he did know. His wife clearly knew, so he had to know. But with that said there isn't proof of that, and he hasn't said whether he knew or not.

My take is that they put him on hold for 4 games, then they let him coach again. With that said, the world we live in would rather see people fail then succeed, so there is a good chance that he will be fired with "cause".
Ah, Hink...out of curiosity, how much do you know about Meyer's tenure at Florida? Anyhoo, I'll give EPSN credit for their coverage of this story so far - pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Hink

OH....IO
Ah, Hink...out of curiosity, how much do you know about Meyer's tenure at Florida? Anyhoo, I'll give EPSN credit for their coverage of this story so far - pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
Honestly, not much. I know he was supportive of some pretty shady players. Unfortunately, I see most coaches follow that mold. I guess I take the "wait and see" approach until we know all the facts.

I am not sure who else Ohio State would take, but the over / under on coaching choices is pretty disappointing. Why would we want the head coach of Iowa State?

Bubba

Cyburbian
I am not sure who else Ohio State would take, but the over / under on coaching choices is pretty disappointing. Why would we want the head coach of Iowa State?
Actually, Ryan Day would probably be a good candidate if Meyer gets booted. He was headed for a good HC gig somewhere in a year or two, and your AD moving him up to interim coach over Schiano (good football mind but a total scumbag) or Wilson (also a good football mind but needs to prove he's reformed his approach to managing players) speaks volumes.

pretty much all of their talking heads have been very careful to stress that they do not know all of the facts yet, they only kind of know one side of the story, and Meyer deserves some presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
Gee, that's nice. I wouldn't know anything about that.

I get that Meyer has a contractual obligation here to report but don't you think there should really be some more focus on, oh I don't know, the people who are actually paid to help in these circumstances? I mean Mrs. Smith went to the cops numerous times. And nothing happened. But let's not let that get in the way of blaming the football program. They know all and can change everything. This issue isn't going to go away if women perceive that the solution is to tell the wives of all their husband's co-workers about it. Title IX doesn't impact the vast majority of people so there is no kangaroo court to adjudicate these things. It belongs in the legal system. That's why it exists. If it's broken, then fix it.

Planit

Cyburbian
College Football officially kicks off and starts tomorrow. The slate of 4 games for the opening weekend is overwhelming.

Hawaii @ Colorado State
Wyoming @ New Mexico State
Prairie View @ Rice
Duquesne @ UMass

Wait...What?

This is the opening weekend of college football? :-c

There are some potentially really good games in the real Week 1 though:

Washington/Auburn
Michigan/Notre Dame
Miami/LSU
Virginia Tech/Florida State

Planit

Cyburbian
There are some potentially really good games in the real Week 1 though:

Washington/Auburn
Michigan/Notre Dame
Miami/LSU
Virginia Tech/Florida State
Yes next Saturday is a much better college football weekend.

I guess this Saturday's lineup is like preseason for viewers. Gotta make sure your grill is ready...your cooler doesn't leak...TV is good...you know, important stuff like that.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I would watch Hawaii @ Colorado State if I was in town this weekend, just to see how Bobo has the Rams looking this season - if CSU was intended to be a stepping-stone job for him, he needs to have a better season this year.

Planit

Cyburbian
Okay...NOW we start the real NCAA football season. Last weeks 4 games were just an appetizer so to say. But this holiday weekend provides games through Monday!

Tonight (yes tonight is Thursday, but) there are 12 games to get things rockin' and I think the Central Florida v. UConn might be the best of the bunch. UCF has something to prove from last year's self declared National Championship from their undefeated season.

Friday's 8 games are similar to Thursday's in the sense as they are warmups for a few teams. Syracuse v. Western Michigan might be good. Duke v. Army possibly. But the key matchup could be interstate rivalry of Colorado v. Colorado State.

Now here's where the fun starts. Saturday's game are the bigger/better/stronger type. Curious to see how Kiffin's Owls do against #7 Oklahoma. #6 Washington v. #9 Auburn should be very good as should #14 Michigan v. #12 Notre Dame. Even Navy v. Hawaii might be good (since the Hawaii v. Colorado State game last week was close).

Sunday is not all (preseason) NFL because the #8 Miami v. #25 LSU will be very interesting to see who's for real.

Monday Night Football! NCAAF style is #20 Virginia Tech v. #19 Florida State & looking forward to watching that game!