2018 Quest for the Cup

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm still salty about my boy Jeff Skinner being up in Buffalo now. Hope he has a fantastic year.

'Canes open tomorrow at home against the Islanders. They went 5-0-1 in the preseason and had a crazy goal differential. Granted it's preseason, but things look REALLY good for the longevity of the team. I suspect the Checkers will be an absolute force in the AHL this year. The roster is completely different, barely anyone from last year. Darling went down in that OT game against the 'Caps, so we picked up McElinney off waivers from Toronto. Not too hyped about Mrazek and McElinney as our starters, but it is what it is.

I predict that the Lightning will win it all this year.

The Wings will make the playoffs but lose in the 1st round.

Buffalo will maintain their perfect record of 0 Stanley Cups.

Ovi will sober up before the puck is dropped.

Sidney Crosby will go through a difficult patch because someone ripped the signed Justin Bieber poster from his locker.

I think that the Checkers will be good, but the Griffins will be their primary competition as Zadina matures.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I predict that the Lightning will win it all this year.
I dunno, I'll be interested to see how the team plays with the loss of Stevie Y. Say what you want about GM interactions with players and the team, but he was far more instrumental in their success than any standard GM would be.

My money is on the Senators to win it all this year :lmao::lmao::lmao:. What a freaking dumpster fire they have.

I'm still salty about my boy Jeff Skinner being up in Buffalo now. Hope he has a fantastic year.
I was pretty excited when we landed him. He always seemed to score the backbreaking goals against Buffalo; now we have him on *our* side.

The fruit may not be quite mature yet, but the Sabres are on an upswing. They have some great young talent, and even more in the AHL that will be ready in a year or two. Jason Botteril, their GM since last year, has done a massive turnover of players, keeping the top draft picks and bringing in some experienced vets. They may not start winning right away, but they should at least be more fun to watch.

The Wings will make the playoffs but lose in the 1st round.

Buffalo will maintain their perfect record of 0 Stanley Cups.
I predict that where the Sabres have recently been, the Wings will follow. Expect a few dreadful years in Hockeytown.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I was pretty excited when we landed him. He always seemed to score the backbreaking goals against Buffalo; now we have him on *our* side.

The fruit may not be quite mature yet, but the Sabres are on an upswing. They have some great young talent, and even more in the AHL that will be ready in a year or two. Jason Botteril, their GM since last year, has done a massive turnover of players, keeping the top draft picks and bringing in some experienced vets. They may not start winning right away, but they should at least be more fun to watch.
On paper, the Sabres have an excellent roster. A lot of unsung guys who typically get left behind for no reason. Okposo, Sobotka, and Sheary never get enough credit for what they add. Defense has some real promise too. Ristolainen is great, and Dahlin will be a Calder contender for sure. Goal tending looks...eh, and while the offense has good medium talent, outright scoring stars are in short supply for sure. Skinner will help in that regard I think.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Well the 'Canes opener was....eh...

Lots of positives, but they put up something like 49 SOG and managed to come away with just 1 against freaking Thomas Greiss and lose in OT. The young guys looked really good though. I was unimpressed with Justin Faulk. I've never seen a player regress so freaking much in just 2 years. I really wish we could have moved him in the off season and brought up one of our young defense-men (Fleury). Dougie Hamilton was completely unused, and he's by far the best d-man on the team. I don't understand why the hell he wasn't on the power play. Mrazek was a little uninspired at points. He plays similar to Cam Ward in that he often ends up way out of position yet somehow manages to make wild (lucky) stops.

Well the 'Canes opener was....eh...

Lots of positives, but they put up something like 49 SOG and managed to come away with just 1 against freaking Thomas Greiss and lose in OT. The young guys looked really good though. I was unimpressed with Justin Faulk. I've never seen a player regress so freaking much in just 2 years. I really wish we could have moved him in the off season and brought up one of our young defense-men (Fleury). Dougie Hamilton was completely unused, and he's by far the best d-man on the team. I don't understand why the hell he wasn't on the power play. Mrazek was a little uninspired at points. He plays similar to Cam Ward in that he often ends up way out of position yet somehow manages to make wild (lucky) stops.
I listened to the Wings online and watched the Cains. It was nice to see them tie it up at the end of the 3rd with a 6th attacker on the ice. Mrazek is a bit of a flashback as we watched him when he was in Grand Rapids. He has rare moments where he is a freaking wall... last night was not one of those moments.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Mrazek is a bit of a flashback as we watched him when he was in Grand Rapids. He has rare moments where he is a freaking wall... last night was not one of those moments.
Honestly, he wasn't THAT bad. IMO both goals the Islanders scored were mostly off of defensive zone turnovers. He just has unpredictable positioning and tends to come out of the crease a lot, similar to Cam Ward. I dunno where that potent offense went, but it looked pretty anemic. Jordan Staal was easily the best player on the ice for the 'Canes, but everyone had a solid game. Aho had some great defensive plays, he'll be a great 1C two way forward.

I'm not really that pessimistic yet. An overtime loss still gets us a point. Tonight will be telling though. The Jackets aren't anything to mess with.

kjel

Super Moderator
Tomorrow my Devils play the Oilers in their first game of the season....in Sweden.

I fell bad because Jesper Bratt who is from Sweden and set to play managed to fracture his jaw yesterday at practice and is now in IR. Surprisingly the Devils extended a one year offer to Drew Stafford who played last year but was seemingly cut from camp a few weeks ago. Likely to replace Bratt and to fill the holes created by injuries.

Schneider is still on IR so the Devils are starting the season out with Keith Kinkaid. He's been very streaky but held up at the back end of last season. Guess we will see.

I am kinda pissed I don't get to go to the home opener, but I have tickets for all the weekend games so I'm happy.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Holy CRAP was that a hockey game yesterday!

'Canes battled back against the Rangers and ended up winning 8-5. It was as wild as you can get. The post game celebration was something I've never seen before. Freaking awesome stuff happening in Raleigh right now.

kjel

Super Moderator
Holy CRAP was that a hockey game yesterday!

'Canes battled back against the Rangers and ended up winning 8-5. It was as wild as you can get. The post game celebration was something I've never seen before. Freaking awesome stuff happening in Raleigh right now.
In other news...Rangers suck :)

Rangers fans are the worst.

AG74683

Cyburbian
'Canes win again! 5-3 over the Canucks. Offense is better than anything they've ever had, and it's all coming from the young talent, guys who haven't even begun to peak yet. Defense is an issue, but I think it's just guys adapting to a much faster, more offensively involved game. Rod finally gave Fleury the nod last night and he did well, definite improvement over Trevor Van Riemsdyk, who has struggled so far. Goaltending will continue to be a big issue. I wasn't impressed with Mrazek's debut, and Curtis McElhinney has actually been pretty serviceable. I think he might be a better fit for the team anyways, seems to have a much better personality.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I miss having the Thrashers in Atlanta. Sure, they had arguably the worst ownership group in the history of the NHL, which was reflected in the mismanagement of pretty much everything related to hockey operations, but the games were a lot of fun to attend.

So for the first time in more than five and a half years, the Buffalo Sabres are over .500. Granted, they're only 3 games into the season, but I'll take what I can get.

Thus far, 1st overall pick Rasmus Dahlin has been fun to watch. He's a wisp of an 18-year-old but he's got a great head for the game, can shake and bake with the best of them, and can deliver a stout check when necessary. And his defensive partner, Jake McCabe, is playing the best hockey of his 4 year career next to Dahlin.

They play the Colorado Avalanche Thursday; let's hope their winning streak continues.

...and the puck stayed out.

Planit

Cyburbian
Watching a bit of the game last night, I noticed that the advert on the boards in front of the penalty box is Bud Light Pit of Misery.

Dilly-Dilly I guess.

kjel

Super Moderator
Back in my day, the Broad Street Bullies sucked and their fans put Rangers fans to shame by a country mile.

Go Devils!:6::6::6:
Way more Rangers fans come to Prudential Center (Devils moved to Newark in 2007) than Flyers fans so I'm sure my view is a bit skewed. I do know that Rangers fans will pay double for my tickets at resale though :D

Tonight is the home opener, I will be watching at home because I have a weekend season package.

Watching a bit of the game last night, I noticed that the advert on the boards in front of the penalty box is Bud Light Pit of Misery.

Dilly-Dilly I guess.
Yep. I'm not a fan of that whole ad campaign but I can't argue the appropriateness of that sponsorship.

Crashing back to reality: The Sabres got whooped 6-1 last night by the Avs. I know they're still building the team, but I want to see some Ws. It's only made worse by the team up the street, the Maple Leaves, who are scoring like crazy. So jealous.